Intersect Development Road Map

Actually almost no progress has been made for several weeks. Kibz and I are currently prioritizing more important aspects of our life and we will get back to Intersect whenever we can.

We actually do have a Suggestion/Bug Tracker. For the moment bugs are weighted a lot more than suggestions. You will generally see all bugs wiped out with each release of Intersect.

http://www.ascensiongamedev.com/community/bug_tracker/intersect/

Progress towards beta has been made. Kibz has started on parties, and trading and has hit a snag with multi-threading that I will need to look into at some point. He has also completely added a crafting system that was originally unplanned. We already have a quest editor designed but that design was done before the event system was created. So once I get back to it I will be re-working the quest editor so it's easier to use and works well with event conditions, variables and switches.

Here is a sneak peak of the first iteration that was created forever ago:

f5e52ec939d71c8ead43b5b9c6f114a8.png

They develop in their own time, the engine is non-profit and they have no obligation to do anything. They're good programmers and easy to chat to, but we all have stuff to deal with "IRL" so cut them some slack.

-Craig

PS: Nice interface!

3 hours ago, Craig1020 said:

They develop in their own time, the engine is non-profit and they have no obligation to do anything. They're good programmers and easy to chat to, but we all have stuff to deal with "IRL" so cut them some slack.

-Craig

PS: Nice interface!

Amen. Sadly (for you guys) myself and @jcsnider have lives too. Recently the two of us have been extremely busy but hope to get back soon. (Sorry for leaving anyone in the dark). Intersect will happen and regardless if it "doesn't" we will release what we have open source here. It will happen though (don't worry!), following this road map as our investment within this site will be nothing considering we are so close to the finish line.

The quest editor and all of its properties was designed by me a long long long time ago (before events existed!). We hope to make use of this with some probable modifications as we go along.

I'm sorry you guys feel a little left in the dark at the moment however we'll get something out soon.

-Kibbelz

9 minutes ago, Kibbelz said:

Amen. Sadly (for you guys) myself and @jcsnider have lives too. Recently the two of us have been extremely busy but hope to get back soon. (Sorry for leaving anyone in the dark). Intersect will happen and regardless if it "doesn't" we will release what we have open source here. It will happen though (don't worry!), following this road map as our investment within this site will be nothing considering we are so close to the finish line.

The quest editor and all of its properties was designed by me a long long long time ago (before events existed!). We hope to make use of this with some probable modifications as we go along.

I'm sorry you guys feel a little left in the dark at the moment however we'll get something out soon.

-Kibbelz

Haters will say its fake. Jk, in all seriousness you guys are providing an amazing free service at the cost of your own personal free time. Not only that but it's the best service of its kind. Though I would recommend keeping the dev logs updated upon entering a hiatus/work stage just to let everyone know c: keep it up guys I love ya.

2 hours ago, Diefool said:

So basically... roadmap progression as soon as Season 6 ends :)

^ This guy gets me.

Edit: I also have something called a job and I have projects there that need updates/development and that also cuts into Intersect time. Season 6 ending will help a lot.. but ending this semester and graduating college should help a lot more :P

11 hours ago, jcsnider said:

^ This guy gets me.

Edit: I also have something called a job and I have projects there that need updates/development and that also cuts into Intersect time. Season 6 ending will help a lot.. but ending this semester and graduating college should help a lot more :P

You have a social life!? Unacceptable!

On 10/9/2016 at 10:13 AM, Diefool said:

Take your time, good things aren't rushed anyway

I agree 100% with this. I've been looking forward to the Beta long before I registered an account here, and I don't mind waiting a little more. Schooling, work, and what little free time is left are all valuable (Coming from a guy taking 8 classes right now, and working as an AI dev for a gaming studio's project). 

I'm also 100% sure that anyone who want's the last bit of the engine done before it is actually "released", would appreciate the extra time took to make sure it is in good working order. 

• 4 weeks later...

On 28/07/2016 at 2:02 AM, jcsnider said:

Final Release - 1.0:

• For the final release we are going to reset the version number to 1.0.
    • Instead of Alpha 1.X or beta 2.X we're simply going to call it Intersect 1.0.
  • The source will become available at this point.
  • We (Joe and I) will spend less time developing and more time helping everyone make games.
    • We will start releasing source tutorials, getting started guides, and more!
  • We want to be here in September or October 2016  -- that's this year!!
    • ..and then we can start on the Intersect 2.0 road map.

Gonna be honest here think we aren't gonna make the deadline lmao

On 10/4/2016 at 5:06 PM, jcsnider said:

Actually almost no progress has been made for several weeks. Kibz and I are currently prioritizing more important aspects of our life and we will get back to Intersect whenever we can.

We actually do have a Suggestion/Bug Tracker. For the moment bugs are weighted a lot more than suggestions. You will generally see all bugs wiped out with each release of Intersect.

http://www.ascensiongamedev.com/community/bug_tracker/intersect/

^^^^^

2 hours ago, Z3ktrix said:

Every few days I check back here to see if any progress is made. I really want to use this when its for the most part bug free and finished. I am patient though. Good luck with future updates. Thank you for working on this.

We are very close! However, the team will make sure that if you start mapping, creating content, etc, that it will always carry over to the newest version, so if your interested in making a game, go for it! We got you covered ;)

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, beer12 said:

was this engine abandoned like all the others? do i bother sticking around or donating?

It wasn't! But both developers have been very busy with their lifes lately, so there were not many official updates. However they are still working on the engine. ;) 

1 hour ago, beer12 said:

was this engine abandoned like all the others? do i bother sticking around or donating?

Nope, not dropped! Never will be, I believe. JC is currently dealing with holidays and finals. It's a slow time for all businesses and communities alike. 

Updated the OP.

Few small changes. We were originally planning on calling beta Intersect 2.0. Instead we are just going to number each beta release as such (Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3, etc).

The first beta release will include crafting, parties, trading, and quests instead of just crafting and parties and quests/trading after the fact. (More features sooner for you all!)

Finally it has always been my plan to keep Intersect closed source until I know the source won't undergo any super big changes. I don't want you all developing addons/plugins/making big changes that won't work in the near future. I also don't want to support the source in its current state. The source release is set to occur after the betas and after the release candidate builds.. depending on how long it takes me to clean things up the source maybe released sooner.

Regards,

JC

42 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Updated the OP.

Few small changes. We were originally planning on calling beta Intersect 2.0. Instead we are just going to number each beta release as such (Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3, etc).

The first beta release will include crafting, parties, trading, and quests instead of just crafting and parties and quests/trading after the fact. (More features sooner for you all!)

Finally it has always been my plan to keep Intersect closed source until I know the source won't undergo any super big changes. I don't want you all developing addons/plugins/making big changes that won't work in the near future. I also don't want to support the source in its current state. The source release is set to occur after the betas and after the release candidate builds.. depending on how long it takes me to clean things up the source maybe released sooner.

Regards,

JC

Glad to hear you're planning on taking your time with the source and beta release structure. I think releasing it when you're ready, rather than when everyone wants it will assure later stability and that's always a huge bonus.