Intersect Development Road Map

I like the road map and how clear it is. Can't wait to see Intersect move through the version :). 

I would also add in the ability to use names in messages in events the ability to use embedded variables similar to RPG Maker and C# strings. For example I would have a message that says:

"Ah, hi there, [playerName]! I see you've collected [numberofItems] x [firstAssignmentItem]s, well done. But you need [totalNumberItemsNeeded - numberOfItems], come back when you got everything!". Would be even nice if we can add different colors to each of those. But I am getting ahead of myself, sorry.

3 hours ago, Vallar said:

I like the road map and how clear it is. Can't wait to see Intersect move through the version :). 

I would also add in the ability to use names in messages in events the ability to use embedded variables similar to RPG Maker and C# strings. For example I would have a message that says:

"Ah, hi there, [playerName]! I see you've collected [numberofItems] x [firstAssignmentItem]s, well done. But you need [totalNumberItemsNeeded - numberOfItems], come back when you got everything!". Would be even nice if we can add different colors to each of those. But I am getting ahead of myself, sorry.

atleast for the playername variable, I know its gonne be done :)

hell, even I got a $playername$ variable in the event system :P

7 minutes ago, Damian666 said:

atleast for the playername variable, I know its gonne be done :)

hell, even I got a $playername$ variable in the event system :P

Hmm... does that mean in the events system we currently have, we can use $playername$ and it will show up? Or did I just understand this wrong?

Hi all,

Quick change. Due to the amount of bug reports in 1.8 there will be a really basic 1.9 release at some point to stabilize the engine. I will be working closely with Agoraphobic, Murdoc, and others reporting bugs to get the engine in as good of a state as possible as we enter beta and knock out the last few features we want in the base engine.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Nymphisios said:

Looks Like you're a bit late ! :D

We are in October 2016 and still at Alpha 1.9, I'm sad of it. 

I hope you will update soon, you work is great and if you need any help testing or making tutorials, making New tiles... I'm your man!

Engine's are not coded over night. Took me four hours now to code an extremely basic, bare bones, buggy as all banannas game loop. Still got at least a few days to go on something simple like that.

I've noticed a few people are saying Intersect is dead, but many more think it and don't say it.

The problem from my side (the side of someone who is waiting for and wants to use Intersect but has doubts about it being completed) is the lack of visible progress- I have no doubt progress is being made, but from our side we can't see it and it has been a while since a release.

I think the best option would be to open up some transparency to the community with a visual bug/feature tracker so we can see things getting ticked off and thus see the progress being made.

It's not something you'd have to update every day, but every few days. This would ease the tension with regards to Intersect being abandoned since it's basically the pillar of the community. I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys that every community that's ever tried to do what AGD is doing failed because they never managed to get a better engine out of the door with which to accommodate the non-programmer devs such as artists, writers and producers. Without a communal engine, those people who can't program an engine will go elsewhere to a site with an engine and the programmers will be stuck here on their own having to outsource their art and music which will eventually lead to "why am I even here" syndrome and they'll also leave, whilst with a communal engine, people form in-community teams, trade code for art and it allows people who don't program to create a game.

PowderEngine, IndieRising to name two off of the top of my head. (The ones I used, though I know there are more I can't remember their names.) PowderEngine had it made, the road was clear to success, people were joining the community and then Spork/Spike was contractually forced by his employer to stop developing the engine, so his community died because no one can use a half-made engine. IndieRising died literally because Sekaru refused to listen to me when I kept telling him the community needed an engine to use as a platform to build on- because he didn't do that, his site was almost solely programmers who made one or two posts, usually showing off their game, then left never to return. User retention is important.

3 minutes ago, Kem said:

I've noticed a few people are saying Intersect is dead, but many more think it and don't say it.

The problem from my side (the side of someone who is waiting for and wants to use Intersect but has doubts about it being completed) is the lack of visible progress- I have no doubt progress is being made, but from our side we can't see it and it has been a while since a release.

I think the best option would be to open up some transparency to the community with a visual bug/feature tracker so we can see things getting ticked off and thus see the progress being made.

It's not something you'd have to update every day, but every few days. This would ease the tension with regards to Intersect being abandoned since it's basically the pillar of the community. I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys that every community that's ever tried to do what AGD is doing failed because they never managed to get a better engine out of the door with which to accommodate the non-programmer devs such as artists, writers and producers. Without a communal engine, those people who can't program an engine will go elsewhere to a site with an engine and the programmers will be stuck here on their own having to outsource their art and music which will eventually lead to "why am I even here" syndrome and they'll also leave, whilst with a communal engine, people form in-community teams, trade code for art and it allows people who don't program to create a game.

PowderEngine, IndieRising to name two off of the top of my head. (The ones I used, though I know there are more I can't remember their names.) PowderEngine had it made, the road was clear to success, people were joining the community and then Spork/Spike was contractually forced by his employer to stop developing the engine, so his community died because no one can use a half-made engine. IndieRising died literally because Sekaru refused to listen to me when I kept telling him the community needed an engine to use as a platform to build on- because he didn't do that, his site was almost solely programmers who made one or two posts, usually showing off their game, then left never to return. User retention is important.

There is some down time now, but if you see the progress that has been made the last year I don't think there is a reason to worry yet. I guess these things go in bursts because of motivation and time. 

If for some reason the devs have to stop developing (The Good Lord forbid), then at least they would probably release the source.

There's always a bright side!

Edit: Based on the overall timeline of each version, 2.0 is due any day now (strictly based off of publicly available data.)

However, I have been fully expecting some lag with this release since it is the beta, and therefore a more important release.