Open Beta [Intersect] Middle Ages: Online *LIVE NOW!*

Daywalkr

4e374bc65a218db6a75c05dbf0857e19.png

Download & More Here

View the trailer!

Welcome, traveler...

...to Asgodia. A place once filled to the brim with players and NPCs alike.

After the player base of the original Middle Ages: Online died in the 90s, the NPCs of Asgodia were left with no one to help them out. With things out of their control, they were forced to live in a purgatory, until one day, a lone player showed up.

At first, the lone player was a boon to the NPCs - a quiet-type, who kept to himself in this otherwise co-operative game. But as time went on, weird things started to happen to the land of Asgodia...

Suddenly, in the 2020s, players started to arrive again.

Perhaps you would like to join them?

What's New? (Strange Places update - 12/21/23)...

Middle Ages: Online's second major content expansion will release on December 21st, 2023!

There's never been a better time to play. Come join our discord and the awesome game that is Middle Ages: Online!

spacer.png

Changes:

- Two big new areas: **Feysden**, the magical candy land inhabited by a race of tiny creature called the Bytes, and **Grieve Grove**, a haunted forest that houses the Renaissance Faire, an Asgodian carnival with minigames and more!
- CR3 -> CR4 advancement, with new class storyline progression.
- New main story progression, through the quest "Desperate Times"!
- New crafts and an additional new tier of resource, "advanced tier" resources.
- New guild halls for the **Mining**, **Fishing**, and **Lumberjack** guilds! Each with their own unique server-based progression systems
- Two new tier 4 dungeons
- A new champion-type in the flatlands
- A level-cap boost from 35 -> 40
- New weapons & new enhancements with those weapons
- A new **favorites** system for crafting that allows you to quickly reference crafts on the go!
- A new **Enhancement Menu** that will show you every enhancement - as well as highlight the ones you have and show you how to get the ones you're missing.
- New skills, and a new weapon level for each of the major weapon types to unlock, each with a new challenge
- New **World Bosses** hidden throughout Asgodia!

Mechanical Updates:

- Enhancements are now performed using **Scraps**. Scraps can (almost) only be earned by deconstructing equipment, so get to accumulating! Additionally, the enhancement economy has been re-balanced, and enhancements have been slightly buffed to have less negatives associated with them to make them feel more rewarding
- Various skills and equipment pieces have been tuned
- Dungeons no longer require dungeon keys to run. This was just kind of annoying, and other systems exist to help with economical issues they were trying to fix.

Classes!

The Warrior

The warrior's goal is to take one for the team. As the tankiest class, a warrior is capable of taking physical blows while keeping their friends safe and away from enemy harm.

The primary subclasses for Warrior are Fighter, Paladin, or Barbarian.

Warriors will spend much of their time learning different weapons, and may spend a lot of time in the mines or at the forge to expand their collection.

Warriors train at the Warriors Refuge in Norsche Canyon.

The Mage

The mage's main concerns are ranged spell damage, crowd control, and party support. The primary subclasses for Mage are Elemental Mage, Holy Mage, or Spellsword.

Mages will focus primarily on crafting and learning spell recipes, and less so on learning a wide array of weapons, though they still have some say in the matter.

Mages hone their skills at the Wizards Tower in Westhelm.

The Rogue

The rogue's job is to deal high burst damage to their foes, either at range or in close combat. Their maneuverability can get them out of tight situations, and allows them to perform stealth attacks.

The primary subclasses for rogue are Assassin, Archer, or Trickster.

A rogue will likely prioritize hunting and tanning hide as well as woodcutting, especially so if they become archers.

Rogues hone their skills at the Rogues Encampment in Vennerwood.

Features!

• Complete crazy subquests! From helping out a lost alien, to walking an injured villagers dog, the quests in Middle Ages: Online will keep you guessing and hungry for more, unlocking all sorts of horizontal progression options and giving monstrous EXP drops!
  • Combo System! Chain enemy kills together (PvP or PvE) to rack up a monster combo - higher combos will yield bonus experience!
    • These combos are even shared with your party members. You can rack up insane combos and experience if you co-ordinate well!
    • Finding and equipping prayers will allow you to cast powerful instant-cast spells while your combos increase. Collect all the prayers in the game to come up with creative aids to your favorite builds!
  • Player vs Player combat in the region known as the Flatlands - be careful should you need to wander through here! There's no rule in the flat lands, it's up to whoever is the strongest.
  • Guild Vs. Guild, a player-versus-player minigame that runs every day from 6-8PM EST, allows guilds to fight for control over a Guild Hall! Taking over a guild hall secures it to your guild members for a day, allowing you to use its crafting services and Guild Bank!
  • Fluid and satisfying tile-based combat!
    • Combat mode allows you to strafe and maintain a strong position over your opponent
  • Enjoy an original soundscape: featuring dozens of original songs and hundreds of original sound effects and voices!
  • Original art and animations!
  • Gain experience while crafting and gathering by using Inspiration, a time-based passive effect earned by resource harvesting!
  • Finding and equipping different weapons will allow you to progress weapon tracks
    • Weapon tracks are separate level-up tracks that allow you to learn new skills and other abilities!
  • Unlock new crafting recipes by completing recipe challenges!
    •  Complete recipe challenges to unlock new alchemy, spellcrafting, ritual summoning, smelting, blacksmithing, fletching, tanning, cooking, mage crafting, and leatherworking recipes!
  • Enhance your weapons using the Enhancement Station!
    • Weapons can be enhanced to include new buffs that power up your equipment in unique and interesting ways!
    • Deconstruct your equipment to learn new enhancements!

Videos!

Spoiler

A demo of some mid-level combat. Here you can see the PRAYER system at work - equip-able accessories that cause spells to auto-cast on enemy death. This particular prayer causes a magic-missile to shoot off in multiple directions! Great for chaining combos together and earning loads of bonus experience!

Here you can see an example of a puzzle a player might have to solve - deep in the crypt of some long-dead curator, the player is tasked with none other than everyone's favorite sliding block puzzle!

Screenshots!

Spoiler

ceb425441ef22ca3dfc0a8aa82aa2c72.png

Poking around Norsche Cave!

92f4becedccfbcb5dadb7bd625f556b1.png

Waiting to place a wager at the Fenwyndell Goose Races!

b6e8fed3b80b2f4d9046ae05c1c2edf9.png

Hanging out outside the Warrior's Refuge!

2432006bc3ded535572ad0cd5b345dab.png

Exploring Vennerwood, and running into some combatants!

1f42eac2615ad978a1199199a8fade09.png

Character customization!

Music!

The Public Alpha will start Monday, October 11th, at 6:30PM EST.

You can download the game for free at https://www.middleages.online.

Join the discord! That way any bugs, exploits, typos, or other oddities can be easily accumulated and sent to me so I can improve the game!

I look forward to seein you there :)

Thanks for playing, Weylon! Hope Daniele gets her computer fixed soon lol, that really sucks. But I really appreciated having yall on!

There's a couple bosses yet I haven't seen anyone kill, so there's still certainly some content to be found in the alpha.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a general update so it doesn't seem like the project's dead, lol:

Those of you that finished up the content - thanks for playing! I really appreciate it, and am glad it seems like you had a good time. It was very inspiring to see way more of you enjoy the game than I suspected, lol.

I am hard at work implementing new features into the engine, at the moment. There were a number of event-based prototypes in the alpha that I'm trying to flesh out into full-fledged systems within Intersect's editor, which involves a lot of source modifications.

Bear with me, as content updates will likely be a bit slow (I'm only one dude with a couple amazing artists) - BUT, I am working hard to make some new stuff! What I'm working on right now in the source, for whom it may concern:

- Sortable bank and displaying bank item value (done)
- The ability for me, as a designer, to more easily give a player a random quest from a list (Nearly done)
- A quest board, as seen in, for example, Monster Hunter, that displays a LIST of quests to a player that he/she can select from. This will replace the existing Guild Task implementation.
- Replacing Class Rank improvements. Instead of the current system (getting X amount of favor or gaining Y amounts of levels), you will now have to complete 4/5 Guild Tasks within your Class Rank. Once you do that, you will be given an "Advancement Quest" - completion of which will result in your class rank going up.
- - When this is implemented, _everyone's Class Rank will be reset to 0 or 1_ depending on your rank at the time of this change. Fear not - I will make changes such that there won't be any item at that point that requires a CR of 2

- An improved "Weapon Upgrade" system, as opposed to the kinda janky and very much non-scalable (for the dev) system that's in place now

- An enchantment system. The prototype I made felt good, and I may try to make this into a _real_ system going forward

- The introduction of some "Soft Locks" like you'd see in a Metroid/Castlevania game - some tangible unlocks such as a Grappling Hook that allow you to access areas of the game that you otherwise couldn't before.

- The ability to make certain enemies immune to status effects

- Perhaps NEW status effects to go along with the enchantment system

And then, after all that, I will be in a REALLY good spot for adding additional content as you know it - quests, areas, items, monsters, etc. SO, yeah. A lot of text. But basically: Thanks for trying out the game, feel free to play as much as you want as the server will be up - but updates will be slow for a while, and if you finished the game, it may be best just to wait for me to say "HEY I ADDED A BUNCHA STUFF", lol

BUT - I plan on adding a lot :). It's safe to say I won't add ALL those features before the next time a content update is posted. It would simply take too long, and I have work-arounds on some of those "nice-to-haves" anyway.

• 2 months later...

There's been a rather large content update recently! A good time to check out the beta with your friends.

Here's a change log:

Spoiler
- New Chat commands are provided to relay important information. You can view these by typing "/help" into the chat box.
- Tasks at your Guild Hall have been completely re-worked. They can now be selected. In addition, Class Rank has been completely re-done. It now will only go up if you complete a certain number of tasks at your guild hall, at which point you will be offered a "Special Assignment", which must be completed to get your class rank.
- As a result of this change, ALL CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN RESET TO CLASS RANK 0. To get your rank back, go talk to your guild leader and see what they have in store for you :)
- Banks can now be sorted
- Loot window expanded to allow for more items
- Bank now displays "Bank Value" of items within
- Some enemies now have resistance, or even immunity to, status effects and/or knockback. Be careful
- You can now "Destroy" items that previously were un-droppable. Quest items "shouldn't" be destroyable until you are done with them
- Max Level has been increased to 10 (to give people something to do while I make new, "real" content)
- You can now type while afk'ing a resource (Exciting stuff, good thing it took 2 months)
- Impreoved colors of text in multiple areas (wow)
- The camera now flashes and shakes in combat. This can be disabled in the settings.
- Combat messages fade out, cleanly
- There's a boat! This is a teaser of things to come - it's useless right now, lol. You need a fishing tier of 3 to enter, and it's in Westhelm.
- Guild Task cooldown reduced from one hour to ten minutes.
- COMMENDATIONS & THANK-YOU NOTES ARE GONE. Your old ones can be sold for gold at the "Deprecation Dealer", located outside fenwyndell.
- QUEST POINTS ARE NOW ONLY USED FOR BEING ABLE TO DO MORE QUESTS. They are no longer exchangable for favor.
- To get favor now, you need to either do Guild Tasks, or some quests will reward you with favor packs. You can also exchange RP for favor.
- Permits are now purchasable with RP, instead of commendations/thank-yous
- Enemy death animations, makes things look way prettier.
- Player death animations that are pretty sweet. Also, some new animations in general
- Arrow hit animations now actually function like you'd expect them to, lol
- STAT REWORK:
   - Attacks, both physical and magical, can now miss/be resisted
   - A missed/resisted attack will not deal damage, or trigger status ailments
   - To increase your chance of evading PHYSICAL attacks, you must increase your agility and physical defense (agility will help more than def). To increase your chance of HITTING an opponent, you need higher attack and agility.
   - To increase your chance of evading MAGICAL attacks, you must increase your magical defense, followed by agility. To increase your chance of landing magical attacks, you should focus on your Ability power score,followed distantly by your agility.
- Both magical and physical defense now have a much stronger fomrula behind them - they work much more as intended now, and will reduce damage from their respective types.
- ALL of the equipment, spells, and monsters have been re-balanced to take this all into account. I highly advise against dumping _all_ of your points into one area now - defense is way more important than it used to be
- You will be given a free re-spec upon logging in
- Arrows you shoot have a chance of appearing where they landed. This chance gets increased with your luck stat.
- Ebezzar's Pet now can drop a unique weapon for each class
- Fix bugs in the crafting window. It should operate a lot more smoothly in there now, especially the "Craft All" button
- Fix a bug where "Loot All" wouldn't work sometimes - especially when trying to retrieve items from your corpse. Whoops
- There's a sick new mouse cursor! lol. I love it. If you hate it, you can modify your "config.json" file in your /resources directory of your MAO installation, and just remove the words mouse_cursor.jpg (leave the quotations)

• 1 month later...

Just gave it a try today, the game has some unique vibe on it!
I was heading out and told myself earlier that i would try MA:O tonight but, when the updater finished, i logged in and it was an insta hook, heck i said, i will go out later...

86ada8a5da0132ac54fdf9af5606c79f.png

• Introduction to the game: Goose-bumps , 1993 !

• Music: It left me totally immersed, it fits perfectly with the drawing style used.

• Sound effects: Clicks, attacks, skills, NPCs greeting you, everything is lovingly crafted and put in its place, honestly the first intersect based game I tried that made me feel in a world full of life.

• Well elaborated tutorial, they even give you a booklet in case you forget something!

• Is not all about endless grind, but quests, stories, NPCs and their stories: i loved this.

• There's some good humour around some stuff here and there, the bored guy standing by the race pit gave me a good laugh.

• Following Ein was interesting but it's easy to lose track of him, maybe it was because I played with a low resolution, despite the added difficulty i didn't gave up with my dog walking adventure.

• I found some errors and a crash, nothing too serious, so I sent my logs and a video report to the Dev, who by the way is a great guy and collaborator of the Intersect Engine.

• Real Life was calling me out.... but there i was, almost two hours later than planned, the game really got me hooked :P will surely try it out again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everybody!

I'm pleased to announce that Middle Ages: Online's first major content expansion, dubbed "The Capitol Update", is set to go live tomorrow, June 28th, at 5PM EST!

Join us for a good time! The game is still live and free to download as always at https://www.middleages.online/

There's a lot of new stuff to go over...

For starters, the overworld size has been more than doubled! With that comes new quests, new artifacts to find for the museum, new resources to gather, along with 2 new resource gathering tiers per resource!

New mobs, new dungeons and mini dungeons, both instanced and overworld, the continuation of the main quest line, the level cap raise from 10 -> 15, new original music and art, class rank progression from CR1 -> CR3 for each class, with each class having their own quests and special assignments to take on within their guild...

There's new secrets and mechanics to discover, new vehicles to drive, new ways to get around the world...

There's a lot of stuff! And it's all free and ready for you to try out.

You can join our discord community as well over at https://discord.gg/7Xnq2V885Q

And, I'll end with some cool promotional art, meant to showcase the two new instanced dungeons that have been developed for this update...

Meridia

9e8dff7a943dd92b4542a348135a2511.gif

Journey to the lost, underwater city of Meridia, found deep beneath Lake Uumuu...

Bogfield

2e1e4a802c5aafcfa94f613f5e662fa2.gif

Head out to Bogfield, a deserted and cursed town deep within Westhelm swamp...

I look forward to seeing you in Asgodia :)!

1c3aaa42d94971d98cb967a4b7d71bd5.png

The blue areas dictate new locations on the overworld in the update... there's a lot to explore!

So, I spent 4 days playing full time with my girlfriend (enjoying the holidays), and in short, this game is VERY AWESOME. I would give it an 85/100, now I will specify more the opinion.

Starting with the bad side, there are things I didn't like, like the price of the items (luckily, I didn't have to buy much in the stores, but if I did, I'd always be fucked), not having spawn point in cities (claaaaaassic of a mmo , here it becomes an annoying process to die far away and go back to the first city), many gave up right away when faced with this, but I understood the importance of this in this game, the world is not that big, still, it's annoying . Mining, fishing and tree cutting is slow, the speed is very slow, you kind of have to spend a lot of time mining, the difference between one tool and another is +1 damage and -100ms speed, which doesn't change almost nothing, there is the system of "the more you mine, the faster it will be", but to evolve in this it is also very slow, in all resources I got 15% bonus speed ("level 3"), and I didn't feel any difference playing, since the first contact with mining, cutting wood, fishing. For the mage the fishing system was not useful, I didn't need to fish for anything other than the missions, maybe it has more importance for the other classes.

About the combat, I believe it should be reviewed, either completely or partially. I literally put all my points into 1 status (ability power), and I was able to survive everything peacefully, I should be "punished" like dying more easily, or not being able to kill some monsters for not having points in defense, but I was surviving. Some effects could also be reviewed, in the case of the mage he has: stun 3.5s, snare 1s, blind 5s, stealth 8s.

I stunned from afar, and while the enemy tried to get to me I kept snare, when it got close I blinded, at that moment the stun returned, and I stunned again, and then I was invisible, until the stun came back and started the combo again, in pvp, mage would be immortal (but I didn't test), especially if added with the 2 spells to transform into duck and water splash.

I didn't test it with the other classes, but I believe that a lot of the battle itself should be reviewed, my defenses didn't make much difference, even using armor, I should have been punished, dying easier.

There was one or another thing more, but nothing much, things of mine even because I'm boring, that as a developer I understand why it exists and in the situation of this game I would do the same.

But leaving the bad side aside and talking about what was part of 90% of my real experience

The game is immersive, the dialogues are well constructed, there are fun references here and there, you can feel feelings while playing like humor, anger, fear, looot fear, really a lot fear. And so on. The dialogues are short and not boring, and all are very descriptive with the exception of a few (cough cough invisible portals cough). I played with the mage and the gameplay is amazing too, the spells are interesting, the progression is slow but you can feel the progression, the controls are reasonable, (a lot considering the base engine, but there are games that can screw with it, this no), for the way the game was planned I can say that the pve is well balanced, I didn't test pvp because I don't like it. For those who like pve this game is a great recommendation.

The content is great (I spent 4 days to finish all the content (I just didn't finish the last 2 dungeons)) and the gameplay is even better if I play with a friend. Without a friend things are much more difficult.
The sound effect part is impeccable, the background music doesn't get boring with time, the effects when talking to npcs and etc, the teleports, the cutscenes are amazing, what gets weirder is the magic animations and effects like explosions and etc, the animations are not in pixel art and it looks weird, but at the time of combat this is not even noticed.

About the custom systems, they are great.
The combo system is great, spells that activate when the combo reaches number x, the dungeon timer system, like the dungeons themselves, in party or solo, the bosses are very dynamic, the monsters too, because some have behaviors that go beyond the standard of the intersect (like running to you and blowing yourself up), the crafting system, rp, favors, class evolution is great, (I just didn't like the prices of items in stores like: tier 3 = 1500, tier 4 = 22000 {numbers for illustration purposes only}). But these systems are well worked out.

In the game there is always something to do and this is great, the player never gets cold, he always has to look for something, kill something, investigate something and on investigation, the puzzles are above 100+/100, I never imagined seeing the puzzles I saw in a game made with the intersect, they were the part I liked the most, I should invest more in it, from the chicken to the one from the tic-tac-toe game, it kept me hooked on the game and excited, the racing mini game is very funny.

And that's it, I would play it again, and I will continue playing when I have free time, because none of the negative points take away from the positive points, the experience is still pleasant and the game seems to promise a lot if development continues as it is.

I hope I didn't give too many spoilers and thank you for the experience, I hope you keep moving forward and have a lot of success, I have a great game to inspire me now, in addition to my favorites, when I'm creating mine, I'm sure this one will be on my mind.

Thanks @Weylon Santana!

I agree about some of the combat and the balancing. I wouldn't mind spending some time now that there's a decent amount of content in place and sort of tidying things up. Getting the GUI squared away, improving ranged combat, and more balancing work is on my primary list of objectives, as well as adding some more content in the form of new collection logs, like the Bestiary.

I appreciate the review and the feedback!

Been working on a big QoL patch. The biggest update by far is an update to the combat/movement system.

Introducing Combat Mode! Combat mode can be entered at any time by pressing (by default) the "Shift" key, or, if enabled, by targeting an enemy.

In combat mode, you are free to strafe as needed. In addition, if you kill your targeted enemy, combat mode will automatically target the next closest, hostile NPC.

Check it out!

Haha it'll definitely need some balancing around... and so will THIS!

Check it out: Projectiles and AoE attacks can now be (optionally) visualized on the map! In my opinion, this greatly improves the skill part of combat, allowing you to quickly position yourself as needed and avoiding damage.

3 hours ago, Cuddleheart said:

I like the scanline effect a lot.  Really good job!

Thank you :). It's toggle-able for those that hate it, haha.

Today's Update: I'M FINISHED WITH THE UI OMG THANK YOU JESUS:

This was such a long time coming and I am super happy with the results. The only thing missing is a really rad, animated title screen, but that can wait haha.

• 2 months later...

I have been hammering away at things under the hood for the best two months or so. Lots of structural things I'd like to have in place, with the current goal being "do the work now so that content generation is easier later". Lots of quality of life changes, and some bigger changes to come, such as the bestiary and a rework of skill unlocks, in the future.

In the meantime, I put together a fun teaser for the game in the style of a late 90s promotional video I used to watch A LOT as a kid, called Target: Get Into the Game. I hope you enjoy it!

Also, I am sorry about the thumbnail lmao.

• 4 weeks later...

This game as a whole looks absolutely satisfying. For me, it is the equal of eating a cheeseburger, except with my eyes. LOL

Love the unique look of everything, the way the characters look when they move, how "natural" everything looks. Can't wait to play this

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 1:42 AM, MrValenza said:

This game as a whole looks absolutely satisfying. For me, it is the equal of eating a cheeseburger, except with my eyes. LOL

Love the unique look of everything, the way the characters look when they move, how "natural" everything looks. Can't wait to play this

Thank you, haha. Feel free to play or join our discord at https://www.middleages.online/

Just a small update to share today: The new title/splash screen for the game, as well as the new theme song. The art is courtesy of the great @Daniele Santana

• Daywalkr changed the title to [Intersect] Middle Ages: Online *LIVE NOW!*