Dev Blog 7/17/2017 - Automatic Port Forwarding, Multi-Char and More!

jcsnider

984549685492.png

Automatic Port Forwarding, Multi-Char, and More!

July 17th 2017

News and Updates

It's safe to say that we're finally wrapping up all of the planned Intersect features and are starting to shift our focus towards bug fixes, performance updates, and general quality of life stuff. I have some really exciting stuff to talk through tonight and then it should get a little boring leading up to our final release.

Automatic Port Forwarding!!!!!

The difficulties of port forwarding have inhibited these style of games for over a decade! Most of our users do not have the technical background to host games on their own home networks. Some simply didn't have the credentials required to modify their router settings. Moving forward this will be much less of a problem. Most routers these days support UPnP where apps like ours can request that ports be opened automatically with no work on your part, and we're taking advantage of those features but we're not stopping there!

When your Intersect server starts, and after it tries to automatically port forward, it will ask AGD to make sure your server is open and accessible to the public. At the same time, AGD will tell your server what it's external or public ip address is. When we bring all of this together we get an extraordinary amount of information regarding your network setup so we can help everyone get their games online with as little effect as possible.

0b5c62a0bdb561261f6c507be4bc2f1c.png

If UPnP Automatic Port Forwarding works, but AGD cannot connect to your server then you get debugging tips and ideas on where the problem lies:

35bb2388b08925fd20f51ee181d9bbf4.png

Keybindings

I had this working months ago but never really discussed it. You can now set and modify your own keybindings within the Intersect client :)

ae0c2beda9d6d43345516f82ebbb1d89.png

Multi-Char

Change one value in your server's config.xml to allow your players to create multiple characters per account.

1c3d95f5317b43efb801376152b563d3.png

dd9a08685c61b6f62ac20fab5f6b6140.png

Your most recently played characters show up first on the selection screen :) 

Credits Page

Our credits are a huge WIP, we will have a list of probably 50+ names when all said and done with the final release. We wanted to have a nice way to display credits and allow you to change them for your own games. Access the credits page from the main menu and modify credits easily via an xml file.

93cf2a2a03ffc40337ca7901a540fc95.png

cf0d8614d5fe9f29c3c4ffd9c8dcedeb.png

Status Effects Hud

Sped up by a spell? Getting killed by poison? Now you know what exactly is helping or harming your character!

Paperdoll Rendering in Menus

For a long time I had thought that we already had this. I never use paperdolls in my testing so I never knew this was missing. No more naked characters in the UI! Paperdolls are fully rendered everywhere :)

c5c8c93bede59e1ecbd4a5ca291e4313.png

Whats next?

I'm fixing bugs with Dynamic UI and then that will get it's own topic. We're still neck-deep in reworking our network code so keep your eyes open for open-tests around the site and in the shoutbox. No ETA for Beta 4 yet but that will be ready when everything is stabilized and performing better.

As always, feel free to post comments and questions below! We are excited to hear your thoughts on our progress!

-The Intersect Development Team

These are all so amazing! Automatic portforwarding is definitely a major feature, I remember the first time I ever portforwarded it took like half the day to figure it out. I also love the ability to change keybinds, great way to make the engine suitable for all types of players. :) 

2 hours ago, Terrafyde said:

Can the auto port forward be turned off ?

I'd assume so. But you can easy change the port so people can't just randomly join if that's what you're worried about. It also runs off UPNP which can be disabled in a router's settings if you want.

Anyway, those features look amazing. The auto port forwarding will definitely help people new to the engine and even people new to game development.

12 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

You can disable it in your router or you can rip it out of the source when it becomes available. 

I think on most new routers it's enabled by default but if your firewall is blocking the port UPnP doesn't even matter, the computer itself will refuse the connection.

Wow. I'm taken back a bit. Automatically port forwards? I didn't even know that was possible! That is such an awesome feature and will save THOUSANDS of needing help port forwarding posts. All looks awesome I'm excited. A little inspired!!

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, kirbyfanultrab said:

how exactly do we activate multi-char?

Those feature are already added in intersect but didn't has been release yet. This topic is a teaser of the next beta version.

Nobody know when it will be releash.

• 3 months later...