Dev Blog 2/16/2020 - Beta 6.1 Wrapup

jcsnider

a4727b61d3221e25d4960d124f383986.png

Beta 6.1 Wrapup!

2/16/2020

Introduction

Beta 6.1 is about to be released and unfortunately we never really wrote dev blogs along the way to talk about the new features, so this will really show off all new features in the upcoming Beta 6.1 release.

Extra Client Font Options

You can now change the fonts in the clients config to select different fonts for damage numbers, chat bubbles, and entity names/labels!

b4577fbe3880bd09a857f9f14e6f878d.png

You can now configure the server to keep players logged in while in combat! If they disconnect their character will remain in game until they die or they are safe!

Furthermore, item and spell cooldowns persist through logouts and server reboots, no more logging out to refresh cooldowns :)

c5099c771bf98d79188cfb0f0d51ce78.png

Colors Cleanup

The colors.json file has been cleaned up, and has been made to be more dynamic. You can now add custom item rarities and color them beyond the engine defaults.

d0be233af50addc55dfdd54e0fea4d0a.png

Trap Spells & Projectile Piercing

Kibz added trap spells! Lay traps on the ground and watch your enemies burn when they walk over them :).

Piercing projectiles will continue to fly through the air after hitting an enemy and can hit multiple targets in a row.

Equipment Buffs

Kibz added new effects that you can attribute to equipment. Tenacity will reduce the effects of enemy status effects, luck will increase your chances of item drops, and equipment can boost the amount of exp your players gain!

2e378f94e69e5793c76f7495f181ff2a.png

Event Command Upgrades

Restore HP and Restore MP commands can now adjust vitals by specific amounts (think traps :))

Entering an amount of 0 will fully restore vitals, so existing restore commands don't break.

0fe45962de08d4f6fbc0799ddd6fa150.png

Attack Speed Adjustments

If you don't like scaling attack speed off movement speed you can now set static base attack speeds for npcs and player classes:

7644e727c7318f95b70637d8e1892b1e.png

Player Labels

Events can now be used to set labels over players' heads. These labels can be used for pseudo clan tags, factions, and more!

eafccf339813e4e27d4afb6206ca1400.png

af723ea163ddb7dfa9587859757cbc20.png

Player Name Colors

You can also change a players' name color via an event!

a4cb8e53f077bb320a936868966ec4c1.png

String Variables

We can finally store strings (text) into variables and collect input from players!

e4c20df94c214e79602674f8412c6987.png

a21202b0c1d911d16c11f4d7e6923515.png

0cc7cf00f5393965a9094250bfaedcd4.png

Event Parameters

Events now have parameters that you can use within string variables and anywhere you enter text. Use the \evtparams to get a list of all parameters available for an event. Use \evtparam{name} for an individual parameter value.

Event parameters will contain situational fields as well, for example in a player killed event it will have a parameter for your victim or your killer.

Mix event parameters, assign them to string variables, and you can create some really unique features with events that weren't previously possible!

559d5325408d9de8fccf7073b8dbcf13.png

8f8da18f917cb1026482da844216c3b6.png

ba78a8b75a31905b90249237d1e75b6d.png

Release Plans & Going Forward

Starting with Beta 6.1 we're going to open up a second release channel called development. You can upgrade from stable to development and try out the new features, but development  releases will be prone to more bugs.

You cannot downgrade from development (B6.1) back to stable (B6) due to database migrations, so if you opt to give the development build a try be sure to backup everything first!

Beta 6.0 will continue to receive patches in the stable builds channel and should be used for live games until Beta 6.1 is deemed stable.

There are no more features planned at this time until we've cleaned everything up :D.

The next major release will be source once Beta 6.1 reaches a relatively stable state!

We're actively working on prepping our Github repo, forum, documentation, and more for the imminent Intersect source code release!!!!

We're finally here, and hope you all are as excited as we are!

If you exclude DBZ fan games I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 ORPGs here that would ever take advantage of such a system. Sure, every game would like the system, but from a design and resources perspective it isn't feasible in most cases.

Cool thing is, given that Crybits is open source and Intersect will be soon, it could be ported from one to the other for the few games who so desperately need the feature.

If I'm proven wrong and we see a lot of games pop up with the functionality then we might revisit it for the base engine once source is out. (Highly unlikely though.)

On 2/18/2020 at 1:30 AM, jcsnider said:

If you exclude DBZ fan games I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 ORPGs here that would ever take advantage of such a system. Sure, every game would like the system, but from a design and resources perspective it isn't feasible in most cases.

Cool thing is, given that Crybits is open source and Intersect will be soon, it could be ported from one to the other for the few games who so desperately need the feature.

If I'm proven wrong and we see a lot of games pop up with the functionality then we might revisit it for the base engine once source is out. (Highly unlikely though.)

When do you include a real < Guilde > system on the code / game ?
Cause we maybe want add, Player ofc, but maybe NPC too, for making < Factions >? This will be cool :(

Now I have started using intersect again I thought this would be a great quality improvement but not sure if its even possible, I find it frustrating mapping such small maps and having to load and save between them so often, is there no way to edit say a group of 4 maps together and save them if you move out of those 4 etc?

4 hours ago, AriusII said:

When do you include a real < Guilde > system on the code / game ?
Cause we maybe want add, Player ofc, but maybe NPC too, for making < Factions >? This will be cool :(

Are you looking for a guilds system?

I have one in place for my game using just the event editor, I will release a tutorial when I get the time if you want.

cf2d65b283d002716a9c479624d247ff.png

^When it mean's "pay" it means there's a gold fee to create a guild and there^

^is a fee to change the guild name, and it goes up the more you change^

ba47cc4a6b3a49f7e7a2c7933c0cb72a.png

It requires 6.1 but you can invite and kick players from your guild, it has a max of 15 players per guild however there aren't any advanced features and no cool UI just chat commands.

Edited by Mapyo
Made clarification

3 hours ago, Mapyo said:

I have one in place for my game using just the event editor, I will release a tutorial when I get the time if you want.

It requires 6.1 but you can invite and kick players from your guild, it has a max of 15 players per guild however there aren't any advanced features and no cool UI just chat commands.

This is actually amazing!

19 hours ago, Mapyo said:

it would be amazing if you could share it with us !!