Dungeon Instances possible?

Daywalkr

Question

Dungeon instances could go a long way toward making pretty cool boss encounters and stuff. Was wondering if something like that was in the engine already/possible?

Obviously, it's no easy programming feat, at least to my knowledge, so if the feature is not already in then that's fine - was wondering if there's a sort of hacky solution? Maybe if you could somehow check to see if a player is in a party, and if they are, teleport only the members of a party to a certain location that they couldn't get to otherwise?

Wouldn't quite work, but it might be decent for a tiny MMO with a small player base anyway (which is what I'd expect)? But I couldn't find anyway to check a player's party status, at least with the default events.

EDIT: For anyone reading this in the FUUUTURE, we have implemented instancing in the current prerelease branch (as of 4/17/22). It's missing instance variables, but I intend to port those as well at some point.

17 answers to this question

This has been talked about a bunch, there is no perfect way of doing it without coding - but some of us have tried!

Here you can see my 'mostly' successful version of instanced dungeons using only events:

Finally got a Party Instance to work in the Event System.
-Mobs don't 'double' for each player.

-Works with Single Player or Party
-Item needed to enter.

-Reward on Boss Death
-Timer
-Instance Lock
-Logout / Death / Idle / Server Crash - the instance will reset.

I will make a tutorial once I'm sure there are no major flaws. *Don't mind the very plain and generic NPC and Map, was just testing

You can also check out a simple tutorial of a more basic version by @Beefy Kasplant:

Maybe these will help give you an idea of what is possible, and maybe you can finally solve how to get it working 100%. Good Luck!

You could do a set number of rooms, and have limited dungeon runs happening at once. Literally have identical maps, lets say 10. Use events to make sure each party is in a separate map. I imagine it would work with the size of most games on this forum. 10 might even be too many dungeon maps as you wont likely have 10 parties worth of people running 1 type of dungeon at once.

On 6/4/2021 at 6:38 PM, CosakiGames said:

This has been talked about a bunch, there is no perfect way of doing it without coding - but some of us have tried!

Here you can see my 'mostly' successful version of instanced dungeons using only events:

Finally got a Party Instance to work in the Event System.
-Mobs don't 'double' for each player.

-Works with Single Player or Party
-Item needed to enter.

-Reward on Boss Death
-Timer
-Instance Lock
-Logout / Death / Idle / Server Crash - the instance will reset.

I will make a tutorial once I'm sure there are no major flaws. *Don't mind the very plain and generic NPC and Map, was just testing

You can also check out a simple tutorial of a more basic version by @Beefy Kasplant:

Maybe these will help give you an idea of what is possible, and maybe you can finally solve how to get it working 100%. Good Luck!

How did u get the "-Logout / Death / Idle / Server Crash - the instance will reset." part to work?  I made an "instance" that allows 1 party in at a time and if the first dungeon map doesnt have all 4 players in within 10 seconds,  anyone inside is ported out, so that other parties can get in. After fighting the boss at the last map they are all ported out and its reset but im trying to think of a way to do what u said as far as  "-Logout / Death / Idle / Server Crash - the instance will reset." Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Kaziie said:

How did u get the "-Logout / Death / Idle / Server Crash - the instance will reset." part to work?  I made an "instance" that allows 1 party in at a time and if the first dungeon map doesnt have all 4 players in within 10 seconds,  anyone inside is ported out, so that other parties can get in. After fighting the boss at the last map they are all ported out and its reset but im trying to think of a way to do what u said as far as  "-Logout / Death / Idle / Server Crash - the instance will reset." Thanks. 

I would not do this. They currently have actual instancing being worked on in the dev branch of the engine. I would wait for that. I tested it out this week and works very well so far. Currently has Player, party and guild instances. 

3 minutes ago, Justn said:

I would not do this. They currently have actual instancing being worked on in the dev branch of the engine. I would wait for that. I tested it out this week and works very well so far. Currently has Player, party and guild instances. 

It could be a long time before thats out though right?

That will definitely be amazing to have, but for what im doing Im locking other parties out of the Dungeon maps instead of trying to make multiple instances of it,  which is really easy to do but I just need a way to change variables on players logging out or disconnecting which is why i was hoping Cosaki could talk about how he handled the  "-Logout / Death / Idle / Server Crash - the instance will reset."  part.  Death and Server crash is easy but the logout/disconnecting is tricky for me. 

EDIT: I think i figured something out, thanks for the instance info tho ill definitely be looking foward to it!

On 4/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, Daywalkr said:

Dungeon instances could go a long way toward making pretty cool boss encounters and stuff. Was wondering if something like that was in the engine already/possible?

Obviously, it's no easy programming feat, at least to my knowledge, so if the feature is not already in then that's fine - was wondering if there's a sort of hacky solution? Maybe if you could somehow check to see if a player is in a party, and if they are, teleport only the members of a party to a certain location that they couldn't get to otherwise?

Wouldn't quite work, but it might be decent for a tiny MMO with a small player base anyway (which is what I'd expect)? But I couldn't find anyway to check a player's party status, at least with the default events.

Now it's (or almost) possible haha

5 hours ago, Kaziie said:

I just need a way to change variables on players logging out or disconnecting which is why i was hoping Cosaki could talk about how he handled the  "-Logout / Death / Idle / Server Crash - the instance will reset."  part.  Death and Server crash is easy but the logout/disconnecting is tricky for me.

logout = /onLogin change variable (currently /onLogin is broken in the latest stable version)
death = /onDeath change variable.
Idle = handled through a timer (this can be buggy)
Server Crash = this was reset through some weird work around in the event, and I forgot exactly what/

BUT, as JC mentioned - doing instances /locked rooms is not great through events and you are definitely better off waiting for instances to be released.

18 hours ago, Justn said:

18 hours ago, jcsnider said:

It'll be in the prerelase builds soon (if it's not already), having proper but buggy version will be better than one made with events.

To clarify it has been in prerelease for 5 days already.

Ok thank you for the info. ill download the prerelease right now and try it out today.

I know this isnt the place to ask this but is there a way to transfer all your data from a stable build to a prelease build? Like maps, classes, common events, etc? or do i have to remake my whole game?

no just take the update link and copy the server folder and the client and editor folder contents and replace it in the correct folders of your project. BE careful to make a copy of your files if you added resources in the client and editor folder, it may be replaced when you copy the files.

6 minutes ago, Artheios said:

no just take the update link and copy the server folder and the client and editor folder contents and replace it in the correct folders of your project. BE careful to make a copy of your files if you added resources in the client and editor folder, it may be replaced when you copy the files.

Ah ok got it, thanks! :)

On 4/9/2022 at 5:01 PM, Kaziie said:

Really liking the instance feature alot. The fact that only party leader can start an instanced map made me so happy ;')

For the record, there are numerous config options in the server, one of which I _believe_ allows other people to start the instance, for anyone that needs it.

I haven't written up a tutorial or docs or anything like that yet because this isn't in main yet, but at some point I intend on doing a small instance tutorial to explain the feature better.

Hey there, I've been trying to find some more resources on the Instance features in the latest prerelease, how is this function set up? Can a specific set of maps be set as an instance, or is this something a party leader/guild leader sets up in-game? Once I've found it I planned to dink around, but I wasn't able to find anything about it in the editor 😅

EDIT: Found it! In case anyone else was trying to find the answer they can be accessed via the "Warp" tile attribute. There you can set where the player is sent to and if it's a personal, party or guild instance.

Edited by TheBearWannabe
Found it!