Intersect Platformer Edition v1.1

Jumbofile
Message added by jcsnider,

This project is no longer being supported/worked on so this thread has been locked to prevent further necroing.

1IecyhN.png

Intersect Engine with 100% more bunny hops!

v1.1

About

Intersect Platformer Edition is a fully featured 2D tile-based side-scroller engine using Intersect Engine.

Features

Platform tile type

Allows players to jump from below the tile landing on top and fall through the tile when desired

Jumping ability

Ability to jump at a fixed jump height with server checks to prevent jump hacks

Ladder tile type

Ladder tile that a player can climb and animation for climbing

Jump animation

Animations for jumping and falling (Using the new pipeline!)

Just use _jump suffix!

Climb animation

Animations for climbing using row 1 and row 4 of the default spritesheets!

Planned Features

Key Bindings

Key bindings to provide the flexibility to change the jump button bind

Feel free to suggest something!

Images

Download

Includes source code and binaries with example map

Download Here!

Github Repo

The default branch this engine will pull from is Intersects Development branch

https://github.com/Jumbofile/Intersect-Platformer-Edition

Source Mod Compatibility

Anything that doesn't deal with Player.cs or Entity.cs on server on client side should work.

If it changes anything with player movement or animations, It most likely wont work.

Help and or bug finds

Please make a reply here with the necessary info.

Known Bugs

NPCs need to have a npc avoid on the edge of platforms

Arrows shoot up or down when falling or jumping

Support Me

If you like what i'm doing please consider supporting me!

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=34062227

Special Thanks

Shenmue - Without the Diagonal movement mod this wouldn't have been possible

Splendid, I started searching for MMO game engines today particularly interested in the ones focused on side scrolling/platforming.

I did come across some bugs while checking it out (makes sense considering it just got released), what's the best way for me to share them with you?

@Jumbofile

Spoiler

da52a98b6fc7397d2ab7cdd01c639be0.png

So that didn't quite work... I'll leave it here then if that's ok.

• Whenever jumping on top of the npc, you are forced to wait for the npc to move before you can do so yourself.
  • The jump mechanic doesn't execute while pressing keyboard combination: "left arrow" & "up arrow", all other combinations (also wasd) work fine.
  • Player can easily get stuck while colliding with the edge of the map or block attributes. (For this one a friend of mine came up with a hot fix -> In the intersect.client player.cs file, adding else statements with FallDir = 1 for NW, NE, etc.. (around line 1600))

@Sonicfreak

The first bug is known and im working on a fix.

I couldn't replicate the second bug as up arrow and left arrow work for me.

I fixed the third bug and uploaded the changes to github.

I plan to update the download when I fix the first bug.

The fix for the map boundary bug also fixed the npc collision bug!

Uploaded a new version of the project.

I really like this mod, will defo check it out soon! Will 100% be interested in seeing features like springs, double jump, NPC collision damage and jumping on enemy heads for damage in the future if they are planned!

Are NPC's smart enough to jump between platforms? Or do they just run from either side of the platform?

Either way a super cool mod, will keep an eye on this.

Joe

A feature I would like to suggest would be the ability to aim diagonally. This way if someone where to make a Metroid like game they wouldn’t be limited to just aiming left and right or up and down(if you and down are even an option at the moment). ;) like I said, just a suggestion. Wouldn’t be disappointed if that is something doesn’t get added but it would be pretty cool lol. 

On 4/18/2020 at 2:51 AM, ODestroyeR BR said:

amazing your job
only has a problem with the projectile when we jump or fall off the platforms any projectile we launch goes down

Ill add that to the list for next update

Ive added jumping animations, climbing animations and the ability to add a ladder tile to your maps!

This update is currently on github, I will update the download link when I fix the projectile bug.

Here is some videos of the animations. The jumping animations are the blue and red sprites and can be added by putting "_jump" on the end of a sprite sheet. Climbing animations are what were previously Move up and Move Down sprites.

Spoiler

Jump Animations

Climbing

On 4/20/2020 at 3:37 AM, Jumbofile said:

Ive added jumping animations, climbing animations and the ability to add a ladder tile to your maps!

This update is currently on github, I will update the download link when I fix the projectile bug.

Here is some videos of the animations. The jumping animations are the blue and red sprites and can be added by putting "_jump" on the end of a sprite sheet. Climbing animations are what were previously Move up and Move Down sprites.

Reveal hidden contents

Jump Animations

Climbing

Love them!! :D

1 hour ago, Julian said:

An chance that you can allow us to set the Jump height and movement speed through the editor? This will allow us to get greater flexibility. 

That would be perfect in the class editor.

I have a second suggestion. Would it be possible for you to include all the plugins that are a ) Compatible with your version and b) Can be toggled from the editor ... ie the plugins that can be toggled on or off....ie the other plugins that permanently change gameplay can be added manually by the community. But it makes sense to add the plugins to this version that can be toggled or allow options in the editor. For example, the hair character creator is a permanent change...So that should not be included, but the maximum item count is something that can be optionally toggled in the editor...So that plugin could be installed in your version. For me, intersect game engine is this version that you are producing....This is the thread that I am going to follow. What you have done here is amazing and this is something that I would pay to see the development continue. I suggest opening a patrion...A believe lot of people would pay to see features added

7 hours ago, Julian said:

An chance that you can allow us to set the Jump height and movement speed through the editor? This will allow us to get greater flexibility. 

Ill add that, great idea!

For now, ill add it to a config file so you can edit it without programming.

Hi, just leaving suggestions:

- Have a button for jumping. So the UP one can just be used to climb.

- Have Jump as a stat so the players can increase the jumping.

- The engine already has a Dash type of spell. I'd love if it had a Flash Jump type of spell with the possibility to add animation to it.

So whenever it jumps it will show an animation right behind the character.

Example: https://youtube.com/watch?v=yQP_lm1nqDQ