Intersect Platformer Edition v1.1

Jumbofile
Message added by jcsnider,

This project is no longer being supported/worked on so this thread has been locked to prevent further necroing.

Update

There is now the ability to change the jump height without changing source code.

On the client side navigate to resources/config.json, open with your text editor of choice and change the "JumpHeight" field

lYTp0Ur.png

On the server side navigate to resources/config.json, open with your text editor of choice and change the "JumpHeight" field under "Player"

aH40uTA.png

The two values have to match!

The update is currently available on github.

Keep up the great work with this great custom version of Intersect. I am very interested in it.

1 hour ago, Julian said:

Hi All... This is a screenshot of the Dating App that I am building using this fork....However, I have stripped most of the UI from the c# Source Code and modified a few more things...Works very nicely

Screenshot followsScreenshot

THAT LOOKS SO COOL! I love the stylish dark look. I am very excited to see the results of it. Keep up the great work. Very neat idea and art you have. :D

11 hours ago, Shilo said:

Keep up the great work with this great custom version of Intersect. I am very interested in it.

THAT LOOKS SO COOL! I love the stylish dark look. I am very excited to see the results of it. Keep up the great work. Very neat idea and art you have. :D

Thanks so much...I should probably make a page on the intersect forum....I still need to design at least a dozen other sprites as playable characters, rework chat bubbles and then start working on the event system that I have planned. So lots to do <3

Having quite some fun with the engine, I did seem to encounter three additional bugs.

• First of all when jumping in the air and quickly pressing enter to open the chat box you'll be stuck in the air. (It's not a big deal since you keep the momentum after closing the chat window, but it could break immersion seeing other players floating mid-air)
  • The second bug has to do with the paper doll system. When I'm simply standing still and walking around the paper doll frames correspond to the base sprite. However when I stand still (facing to the left side) and jump then the paper doll seems to select a different frame than the sprite base (even though the sprite and paper doll sheet are exactly the same direction-wise)
Spoiler

a25f358c1371edfb7779c236295a18da.png8ab7280d9c0dbc0b2c124dd2e7911d90.png4baf06bdb4b368ad67b2d2e08ba48121.png

• Finally while testing out the features online with other players, we found out that the jumping animation isn't properly displayed for others. (We're running exactly the same version with the same assets). Seems like once you jump the sprite for the other player also changes to the jumping sprite. While when they jump their sprite doesn't change.

Also I'm curious if a few features would be possible to implement in the engine.

• Is it possible to make players able to adjust their direction mid-air? (Would help in making the jumping mechanic feel less stiff)
  • Would it be possible to select certain frames in the sprite sheet for the walking/jumping animation? (That way the standing still frame is left out and you'll be able to create a well looping walk/run animation, and also make a start frame for the jump without it looping through it.)

Thanks again for putting out this custom version, I hope this post will help make it better :)

On 4/25/2020 at 9:22 AM, Sonicfreak said:

Having quite some fun with the engine, I did seem to encounter three additional bugs.

• First of all when jumping in the air and quickly pressing enter to open the chat box you'll be stuck in the air. (It's not a big deal since you keep the momentum after closing the chat window, but it could break immersion seeing other players floating mid-air)
  • The second bug has to do with the paper doll system. When I'm simply standing still and walking around the paper doll frames correspond to the base sprite. However when I stand still (facing to the left side) and jump then the paper doll seems to select a different frame than the sprite base (even though the sprite and paper doll sheet are exactly the same direction-wise)
  Reveal hidden contents

a25f358c1371edfb7779c236295a18da.png8ab7280d9c0dbc0b2c124dd2e7911d90.png4baf06bdb4b368ad67b2d2e08ba48121.png

• Finally while testing out the features online with other players, we found out that the jumping animation isn't properly displayed for others. (We're running exactly the same version with the same assets). Seems like once you jump the sprite for the other player also changes to the jumping sprite. While when they jump their sprite doesn't change.

Also I'm curious if a few features would be possible to implement in the engine.

• Is it possible to make players able to adjust their direction mid-air? (Would help in making the jumping mechanic feel less stiff)
  • Would it be possible to select certain frames in the sprite sheet for the walking/jumping animation? (That way the standing still frame is left out and you'll be able to create a well looping walk/run animation, and also make a start frame for the jump without it looping through it.)

Thanks again for putting out this custom version, I hope this post will help make it better :)

Ive fixed the chatbox bug and it is available on github. 

My todo list for the next release (this means compiled download) is

-Arrow shooting up and down bug

-Jump animation fixes

I aim to have this completed by the end of this week

Ive pushed a couple more things to the github:

The bug with other characters animation changing when your character jumps is fixed.

Ive also added more checks for telling if the player is jumping

All of this will allow me to fix the walking animation being inserted in the middle of the jump animation.

When that is fixed, Ill compile and put up a download.

Update version 1.1 released!

Here is the download for the new version, Includes compiled EXE and source

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eGKKi3cNrh0qUVXLGS3EJYbCkZ1m2K04

Change

- New Ladder Tile

- Just add the ladder attribute in the map editor!

- Ability to edit jump height without code edits

- On the client and server navigate to resources/config.json, open with your text editor of choice and change the "JumpHeight" field

- Jump animations

- Add a sprite sheet with the "_jump" suffix to add jump animations!

- Climb animations

- The Up and Down direction on the base sprite sheet are now climb up and climb down

Support Me

If you would like to support me, now you can find me on patreon!

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=34062227

Special thanks Hedgy and Sonicfreak, you make this possible! 

Hi, I found these bugs(?):

1- On the Intersect Editor > Attributes.
When you select 'Slide' and then select 'Platform' the 'Slide' settings (Dir: Retain Direction) will keep showing up instead of disappearing. Same thing with the 'Ladder' attribute.

2- You can only jump to pass through a ladder but cannot walk through it.

3- You cannot jump from a ladder. Just go up and down.

Thanks for your work 🎉

I found these bugs idk If they're new or not but here they are:

This happens only sometimes, when I jump close to a monster the paperdoll gets removed but whenever i move again it comes back. When going down from a platform it happens as well. When the caracter dies all paperdoll are removed until walking again.

13 hours ago, rpgscroll said:

I found these bugs idk If they're new or not but here they are:

This happens only sometimes, when I jump close to a monster the paperdoll gets removed but whenever i move again it comes back. When going down from a platform it happens as well. When the caracter dies all paperdoll are removed until walking again.

Ill try to replicate these bugs, in the mean time, could you send me videos of this happening?

On 5/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, Jumbofile said:

Ill try to replicate these bugs, in the mean time, could you send me videos of this happening?

I'm really sorry for the long wait :( I did not have free time at all until now.

So the problem I mentioned before was on my own, really sorry about that. The paperdoll was getting removed because I added paperdoll only to the left and right side of the character. But I still have a huge confusion about that.

The entities are 4 by 4. Up, Down, Left, Right on the regular intersect engine. But I'm not sure of how it works on the platformer edition. Is it possible to see an example, please?

Nvm, here's the answer to my dumb question...

On 5/2/2020 at 3:11 AM, Jumbofile said:

- The Up and Down direction on the base sprite sheet are now climb up and climb down

what's wrong with me omg.

Edited by rpgscroll
being dumb

9 hours ago, rpgscroll said:

I'm really sorry for the long wait :( I did not have free time at all until now.

So the problem I mentioned before was on my own, really sorry about that. The paperdoll was getting removed because I added paperdoll only to the left and right side of the character. But I still have a huge confusion about that.

The entities are 4 by 4. Up, Down, Left, Right on the regular intersect engine. But I'm not sure of how it works on the platformer edition. Is it possible to see an example, please?

Nvm, here's the answer to my dumb question...

what's wrong with me omg.

I do plan on making a wiki to help people traverse the engine. 99% of the engine is the same as intersect but small stuff like the spritesheet and jump configs are completely intuitive. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, rpgscroll said:

Hiii.. is there any updates? 🙏

Hi sorry, they have been slower because Ive been working a lot more recently but im trying to write some code related to this once a day. Ill post an update soon but Im still working on movement and making it feel as smooth as possible.

10 hours ago, Jumbofile said:

Hi sorry, they have been slower because Ive been working a lot more recently but im trying to write some code related to this once a day. Ill post an update soon but Im still working on movement and making it feel as smooth as possible.

Yay that's great to know! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...