Closed Alpha Ruinic - Competitive Dungeon Crawler

General Awesome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm proud to announce that work to this project has resumed once again, and I will pick up exactly where I left off nearly a year ago. You may check out the game and its more frequent updates, discussion, and more at our website http://www.ruinic.com/community/index.php

Additionally, you may sign up to be involved in the closed beta process, which provides an opportunity to establish yourself as an early supporter of the game and help see it through to completion!

On 9/8/2016 at 8:58 AM, Azerdeath said:

Might I be as bold as to ask to test out the Linux client when it is ready? I would enjoy a title like this and think it would make a fine addition to the list of Linux compatible/native games. 

Yes, there will be a Linux and OSX client. 

4 hours ago, EVOLV said:

This looks really great - the graphics, the layout, and the concept are all stand-out. Glad you picked it back up again!

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm currently unsure of whether I'll be able to continue using the art style as it currently is. They were made by Murdoc and he is unfortunately not currently working on this project :(

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Damian666 said:

like the gui, sprites are not my thing though, but still looks cool.

randomized items?

The art style will likely be redone at some point in the near future! Randomized items are still up in the air. We'll likely have an item system similar to that of Diablo.

Also, for anyone interested, Ruinic now has a Discord server where you can keep track of development and chat with other people interested in development!

Discord: https://discord.gg/7gTapm

While the following screenshot may seem insignificant in terms of the overall progress of Ruinic, trust me when I say that it is a MAJOR milestone.

The basis of NPC AI has been implementing along with pathfinding. Additionally, I finally managed to quash a pretty severe bug which would cause the server side player movement calculations (and NPC) to go wonky. This bug was a major roadblock on our way to a closed alpha release, and now that it is out of the way, I can assure everyone that a playable version of the game will be released very soon.

Right now I'd like to shift gears towards developing the neccessary editors to create the main city which will serve as a hub for all players participating in the alpha. I decided to go this route, where players will coexist in a traditional ORPG fashion within the main city, as opposed to the previously planned lobby system. Instead players will rely on in game interfaces and match-making mechanisms. 

I also need to begin work on the website, which I would like to get to a relatively stable point before I begin advertising to the broader public and put the game on Steam Greenlight. This has posed to be a rather difficult task for me, as I am neither competent nor enjoy developing on front-end websites. If anyone would like to assist in this process, I'd be more than happy to bring you onto the team! Just PM me your previous experience and I'll get back to you ASAP.

ee3d0XD.png

I've updated the graphics to something that's a bit more... dimensional. They're the TimeFantasy graphics you can find at http://timefantasy.net/ 

I'd like to have something custom done soon, but I quite like this style for now.

I've also completely overhauled the dungeon generation algorithm to build more vibrant, lively worlds. What you see below is an example of cave generation, but there will be many different times of dungeons to explore, ranging from caverns to castle dungeons to dense jungles.

Stay tuned for more updates!

UwI2iRa.png

NPCs are implemented and functional, along with some basic combat. I haven't implemented the player side of this yet, so it's really just about trying to stay the hell away -- haha.

Stay tuned for more info, and again, join the Discord to be the first to get updates and access to early testing opportunities!

Here's a sneak peek of me getting my ass kicked by a minotaur!

gYMphEt.png

Today's update is an extremely technical, albeit important, one. LUA scripting has been implemented to the Ruinic game server!

This is very big, as it will drastically accelerate development time and allow me to begin implementing some of the more interesting game functionality. What you are looking at in the image below are the LUA script definitions for an in-game NPC, the Minotaur. These script files define not only the important data of the NPC (its name, image file, level, etc.) but also the behavior of that NPC. This will allow me to do all sorts of cool things, like defining custom behavior for super tough boss NPCs, or, say, scripting a special shopkeeper NPC for one of the city hubs.

Stay tuned for more updates and information early access and testing opportunities!

W66S99X.png

Today's update is a little different. Recently, the Ruinic team picked up an absolutely fantastic composer who is going to be working on a various musical pieces for the game. He's already started on the first one for the starting town, which I think sounds pretty great. You can listen to a sample of it below.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been busy working on the editor suite through which much of the content for Ruinic will be developed. I'm really happy with it so far, especially since the potential to use these tools to develop further titles is very well there.

Most recently, I've gotten dynamic layers to work. This allows me to create specialized layers for each map, on the fly, without changing anything in the source code. This will be super useful from a mapping standpoint, allowing for much more complex and lively world creation.

PMhsVF5.png

Just another screen shot of script editing working in the game engine. These scripts will drive the majority of game play.

UIFJNjJ.png

Finally we have perhaps my favorite addition: map objects! These little buggers allow me to create custom objects in the map which I can animate and hook up to scripts which customize their functionality depending on player interaction (collides, interacts, leaves, enters) or some other general functionality.

qQXbPCz.png