[VB6] Crystalshire Game Engine

Ranqe

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f57

Crystalshire

A free-to-play ORPG created using Eclipse Origins

About Crystalshire

Crystalshire was developed in 2011 using the Eclipse Origins open-source ORPG engine. It went through several iterations before being taken down in 2014.

How to use

This was not designed to be an open-source project. The source is being released for educational purposes. I would not suggest using this in a production game.

The repository also doesn't include any of the non-code assets used by the game. As such, you'll need to use your own instead.

If you're serious, you can check out the various tutorials and guides available for the Eclipse Origins engine: Eclipse Origins on Github

They should help get you started, but everything else you'll need to figure out by reading the code.

Screenshots

Spoiler

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f30

Spoiler

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4e

Spoiler

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f33

GitHub

Fixed Source

Was gonna remove but then noticed that Robin posted that to GitHub himself.

This is an extremely good resource. Robin shared this with me a few years back and I have referenced it from time to time. This is his actual Crystalshire game, not the developer kit he sold several years ago. This has an authentication server and more that you would have to dig through to bring it back online. Nonetheless there is a lot you could learn from his work. Excellent post Rob.

@PhenomenalDev It sure does! There is one issue I ran into though. When opening it in the Visual Studio Enterprise Edition it appears that the .frms don't load for some reason; instead they load as modules and there is tons of red lines within the modules. If you or anyone have a solution to that it would be great to post. 

On 11/1/2016 at 6:04 PM, Rob said:

@Whitespirits That would be awesome, I am messing around with it right now and if someone could remove the sql auth and sql items and have a login system that goes straight to the server like EO 3.0 it would be epic.

This asset is a masterpiece of it's time and genre, it was also built to Robin's specific needs and whim. That, in my opinion, is also what makes it valuable. It's a look inside how they went about solving problems.

If you want this back to bare bones. Grab Orion+, It's EO ported to VB.NET so people don't have to use a beyond dead language. Even installing VB6 is a HS diploma from PC to PC, let alone whatever happens next.
If you want this just for a little information: https://github.com/RobinPerris/Crystalshire you can read all the code from that website without installing anything.

So how does the server request say usernames, from the authentication server since the default server provided has no packets, from what I can tell, that communicates with the authentication server?

4 hours ago, Zetasis said:

So how does the server request say usernames, from the authentication server since the default server provided has no packets, from what I can tell, that communicates with the authentication server?

The authentication "server" is the files that would go in tandem with the regular server file when compiled. It's only separated out so you can choose to use it or not. So replacing the files in the auth folder with the regular server folder should work, I think.

Setting the authentication up doesn't look that difficult, but will only be as secure as how you decide to implement it.

Is how it looks to me, I only skimmed through the code for a bit.

i've got it working by removing the mysql and auth server stuff.. the game is quite ok, what is impressive is the interface but the the features and systems are basic like every other eclipse engine.

got it.jpg

• 7 months later...