Dev Blog 4/5/2020 - Beta 6.2 Development

jcsnider

I case anyone (by which I mean most people, probably) missed the latest build's notes.. There's a few changes in it! Most are background stuff you'll likely never have to deal with.. some are more immediately noticable.. And some bugfixes that also applied to the base engine.

1. A new Conditional Branch entry has been added to the Event System to check for free inventory slots.

efed1f1ad04ec6da02f493b119ad81ea.png

2. New options have been added to the Change Items event command.

79af50f3a71bd20711fa638321e82f21.png

You can now choose how to give/take items away from the player.

• Normal - Gives/Takes items as per usual, fails if the user does not have or can not receive the amount of items.
  • Allow Overflow - Gives items until the player runs out of inventory space up to the amount provided, if the inventory is full starts dumping the rest of the items on the map. (Does not change the logic for taking away items, as you can't take more than they have!) NOTE: items dropped are bound to the same loot rules as normal dropped items!
  • Up to Amount - Changes as many items as can be changed up to the amount specified. So if the user has 2 items, and you want to take 5 it takes 2 and considers that a success. Same goes for giving, if the user has 2 inventory slots and you want to give 5 they receive 2. NOTE: this needs to change at least 1 item to be considered a success.

3. A new option on how to handle non-stackable items dropped on the map was added to the server config

44344c3a8dec33926f2788bc253720a2.png

By default all non-stackable items dropped with a quantity of over 1 will drop as ONE consolidated item on the map, and the player will need enough inventory space to pick them all up to pick even ONE up. Toggling this option to false will instead drop multiple items to the map they can pick up individually.

4. A large portion of item giving/taking away and other inventory related logic was rewritten

This is mostly a background change, in general you won't notice the difference. But this fixes a few issues regarding dropping non-stackable items with a quantity. BEfore this, if you dropped a non-stackable item (such as equipment) with a quantity over 1 from an NPC it would give the player one item. Now this is handled properly and you actually obtain multiple.

There's a few more changes, documentation in the code and rewrites to the logic to make it less obtuse and less duplicated all over the place as well.. But you'll probably have to look at the source for the details, if you are interested.

Note that upgrading to this version is very likely to break ANY AND ALL existing mods that deal with item stacks, loot or similar things!

Another small change to the dev branch today, party sizes are now configurable on the server config.

Just make sure you edit the client's party window Json file to support displaying the party members you're adding!

The client will generate the required fields on its own, but by default they will have no display values.

6 hours ago, Joyce said:

Another small change to the dev branch today, party sizes are now configurable on the server config.

Just make sure you edit the client's party window Json file to support displaying the party members you're adding!

The client will generate the required fields on its own, but by default they will have no display values.

I love those changes >u<
Thanks a lot for that Joyce! You're a beast of coding!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 5:40 AM, jcsnider said:

Embedded Auto Updater - (4/21/2020)

6.2 introduces an optional built in updater system that you all can use for your games! It's pretty simple, but requires that you have some sort of web hosting capabilities available to you.

0a2043954defcbfe25ec340e81ff46b4.gif

To use the updater:

In the editor you click on Tools -> Package Update, and that will create a folder full of files for you, upload that folder and it's contents to your webhost!

Inside that folder is a file called update.json, get a link to that (ie: https://freemmorpgmaker.com/updater/update.json) and throw that into your Client/Resources/config.json file as your UpdateUrl.

As you upgrade your game to new Intersect versions, or update any of your games' resources simply use the editor to package a new update to replace the one on your webhost.

Your client and editor will do the rest every time they're launched, they can even replace themselves so you don't need an external updater application.

Full documentation can be found here!

Is it possible to use this system with google drive? Or could someone refer me to a free hosting server to run this system?

5 hours ago, Kamus said:

GitHub funciona bem

I was unable to use Github, because when I create the repository it says that the folder needs to be empty, and the editor uptade creates the files, so I don't know how to make it work  :/

any tutorial?

7 hours ago, Grilox said:

I was unable to use Github, because when I create the repository it says that the folder needs to be empty, and the editor uptade creates the files, so I don't know how to make it work  :/

any tutorial?

i'll make one soon~
(On Spanish and English versions)

• 3 weeks later...

Added the ability to configure several new global options for NPC behaviour through the server configuration:

* AllowResetRadius - Configures whether or not Npcs are allowed to reset after moving out of a specified radius when starting to fight another entity.

* ResetRadius - Configures the radius in which an NPC is allowed to move after starting to fight another entity.

* AllowNewResetLocationBeforeFinish - Configures whether or not the NPC is allowed to gain a new reset center point while it is still busy moving to its original reset point. NOTE: Can be used to allow the NPCs to be dragged far far away, as it constantly resets the center of its radius!!!

* ResetVitalsAndStatusses - Configures whether or not the NPC should completely restore its vitals and statusses once it resets.

After being forcibly reset, the NPC will attempt to move back to its original location.

68747470733a2f2f7777772e617363656e73696f

This change also made it so NPCs no longer need a target to let it move through pathfinding, making it easier to add randomised walk patterns that look a bit more natural in the future.

Sorry for the messy post, on phone and the forum for some reason hates me for it. No formatting options. 😅

• 2 weeks later...

Not the most exciting thing in the world, but we've got mouse wheel scrolling on scrollbars in the client (thanks @Beefy Kasplant and @Tdogthedog!) and cross platform* copy pasting on the client to work now.

*= Linux requires one of two packages to be installed depending on whether you're running a Wayland (wl-clipboard) or Xorg (xclip) display environment. The client will warn you in the chat box if you don't match this requirement.

1 minute ago, Joyce said:

Not the most exciting thing in the world, but we've got mouse wheel scrolling on scrollbars in the client (thanks @Beefy Kasplant and @Tdogthedog!) and cross platform* copy pasting on the client to work now.

*= Linux requires one of two packages to be installed depending on whether you're running a Wayland (wl-clipboard) or Xorg (xclip) display environment. The client will warn you in the chat box if you don't match this requirement.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the new updater included, What's the minimal file list I can have in a deploy Zip that I can have hosted on my site. This will be the minimal client my players will download and then automatically download all my server resources on first run?

Scratch that, found my answer in the docs. https://docs.freemmorpgmaker.com/deploy/distributing.html#auto-updater

Edited by TheKezStrel
Found my answer

Browse to your update url in the config.json with chrome or something. You will probably get an html error of some type.

The < character at position 0 line 0 is, at the very least, the start of an html document and not json output.

Hey JC, Thanks for the reply.

I copied my link straight out of the browser bar and dropped it into the config.json file after checking it was accessible from my web host. Both server and editor worked fantastically and so did the client on the files I already had on my system so I started on the update config.

When putting the files for deployment in a separate folder and setting the update url it came up with the error posted.

Will try again later on  and if it still doesn't work, I'll try the next nightly build when it comes out.

Thanks for the help.

Kez

JC,

I don't think it's an issue with intersect now..

I looked at the code that my hosting provider sent to the browser and they added a shed load of <html>!

According to their support site, it's a security measure to make sure that they are not used as a file hosting service and only for supplying websites to browsers.

You can imagine the air turned blue when I read that! Alas, off to search for a decent free web hosting site that will allow me to serve files too.

Regards,

Kez

2 minutes ago, TheKezStrel said:

JC,

I don't think it's an issue with intersect now..

I looked at the code that my hosting provider sent to the browser and they added a shed load of <html>!

According to their support site, it's a security measure to make sure that they are not used as a file hosting service and only for supplying websites to browsers.

You can imagine the air turned blue when I read that! Alas, off to search for a decent free web hosting site that will allow me to serve files too.

Regards,

Kez

Not free, but for $5/year I like HostKoala.  Or you can do a ton of work to setup a Github repo with Github pages... but they don't really want us using the service like that.