Game Nightmare Showcase

Xeno

• 5 weeks later...

That was really good. Honestly I think that video (even though its for a kickstarter) is a perfect example of what an Intersect game can be if you put in the work. Make sure I get a PM when the campaign starts so I don't miss it. My one and only complaint is that in my opinion there was a lot of dark combat scenes bunched up around the middle that, again in my opinion, didn't really help to show off how beautiful all of the other visuals in the game are. Its a game about werewolves so I know there is going to be a lot of night combat, and towards the end it looked great. I don't really have any suggestions on improvement tho, maybe adding in some more daytime combat in between? The best part in my opinion, 1:16 where you walked from the forest into the desert, looks amazing.

Edit: You know what I watched it again and even though it looks a little dark for my liking in some scenes, all of the lighting and colors look totally amazing and look better in each re-watch.

I also forgot to mention how I like that you are getting your ass kicked in every combat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, WereAlpaca said:

3a703463e7e41d097c1531cb1560121c.png
Monstrous updates being made! Get ready to crush some sexy foes.

Looking at the first row, I was like wow these are like really good. Looking at the second row and seeing that this is new VS old the first row I was like wow the first row was good but now they look like shit compared. Only criticisms are I like the snake's tongue color better on the top snake, and I liked the longer head on the mouse. I also like the purple leaves on the plant, maybe for a boss plant.

2 hours ago, Apache_ said:

Looking at the first row, I was like wow these are like really good. Looking at the second row and seeing that this is new VS old the first row I was like wow the first row was good but now they look like shit compared. Only criticisms are I like the snake's tongue color better on the top snake, and I liked the longer head on the mouse. I also like the purple leaves on the plant, maybe for a boss plant.

The first row is the new sprites. @WereAlpaca should have clarified this.

1 hour ago, Kibbelz said:

The first row is the new sprites. @WereAlpaca should have clarified this.

Damn, but my opinion is still the same. I like a lot of the colors on the lower ones better, I dont really like the higher contrasting of the top ones. In my opinion the first two monsters look like they had the quality turned down on them and they got a lot more pixelated.

1 hour ago, Apache_ said:

Damn, but my opinion is still the same. I like a lot of the colors on the lower ones better, I dont really like the higher contrasting of the top ones. In my opinion the first two monsters look like they had the quality turned down on them and they got a lot more pixelated.

Y'know what, I totally understand what you're saying and I can specifiy even further. The goal was to take the amount of shades and lower them to 3, unless it's a metallic material  - that's so they fit in with our universal palette. So not only did I lower the amount of shading, but I also switched the palette for a higher contrasted version. Let me show you an image that helps clarify. 
c32762ece1ef9f713593c5b18324558b.png1. Original 2. New pixel art 3. New palette
Now for me, I would be inclined to say the middle is the best version.

However, from a developers standpoint, the third option is the best one to work with. The palette is universally used throughout everything in the game, so if we ever want to lower the contrast, we can adjust the entire game at once with a simple tool. The pixel art is following a clear set of rules, solid outline, 3 natural colours, 4 metallic colours, and has a damn shadow. Also, we can isolate and adjust details without having to mess with an overly dynamic piece. Lastly, it's very important to keep in mind that you're viewing these monsters from far away, and that high contrast can be very pivotal in understanding what you're looking at from far away.

0f5e08b7d8c61dc80f49e3322df36153.png
4c4dd6587a98c1df5c63af333a4b7277.png

Now that we realize we're killing a Mommas little babies we feel sadder too :(

PS. There will no longer be any simple recolours in our game, every single NPC and enemy will have a unique pixel art, and these updates are simple stepping stone to create variants of our current mobs. EX: Rattler snake has a rattle, Cobra looks like a cobra, and so on.

Thank you for your criticism! When we're done taking care of our current task we will ook into lowering contrast on some of our colours.

15 minutes ago, Dashplant said:

I love higher contrast so I'm a big fan. I also think it fits with the tiles and gui better. 

I can see where Apache is coming from too, I think it's a matter of taste.

One thing that does bother me is that the spider apparently has ant babies (8 Vs 6 legs)

LOL! I know right. One step at a time. I really wanted to change it to 4 legs but I'm tackling a lot right now. It's on the back burner while I get the initial sweep on everything. It's honestly a pretty big challenge working in that small pixel space, so it's a bit of a pain. Totally going to make the original piece into an ant and have a spider as well though, so it really just builds us up more.

1 hour ago, WereAlpaca said:

PS. There will no longer be any simple recolours in our game, every single NPC and enemy will have a unique pixel art, and these updates are simple stepping stone to create variants of our current mobs. EX: Rattler snake has a rattle, Cobra looks like a cobra, and so on.

Yes for sure I like #2 the best. I love your game's overall palette and I get the reasons for the change. Looking at the screenshots the spiders do fit in perfectly.

Also, major props on nixing the recolors. I understand in a lot of places especially in older games where it was kinda needed, but having palette swapped enemies instantly makes the game feel cheap to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to chime in on the color discussion. Some the originals do offer more realistic colors (lower contrast / lower saturation), and in real life colors aren't usually as saturated/contrasted as they are in Nightmare. But, we did this on purpose to give the game an anime like feel. The softness of the palette prevents things from looking overly saturated, but it is meant to be surrealistic.

• 1 month later...