Concept The route to a fully mapped Pokemon World :)

Damian666

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

You know ROM data is a direct rip of the data on a cartridge. It rips directly from byte 0 to the last byte in the ROM memory space. There is an address which starts the graphics resource section which you can rip the map data directly from the rom, If you map the tile data from that to your tile sheet, you may be able to just generate these maps from a ROM file.

20 minutes ago, Crest said:

You know ROM data is a direct rip of the data on a cartridge. It rips directly from byte 0 to the last byte in the ROM memory space. There is an address which starts the graphics resource section which you can rip the map data directly from the rom, If you map the tile data from that to your tile sheet, you may be able to just generate these maps from a ROM file.

10 minutes ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@Crest The map format is well documented with tools being available too so unless they want a custom map that is certainly the way to go.

I had thought about doing this, but now that I know it's documented I'm 100% doing this.

57 minutes ago, panda said:

Thought it was obvious from this thread that we're mapping out Gen 1/3 (and presumably 2) but we're also obviously not using the shit graphics from RBY/GSC.

In that case https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/ should be able to help with the map format in memory, don't know about actual locations in memory though. Good luck! (also you probably wont need it but I would be happy to try my hand at making a memory dumper for the maps)

14 minutes ago, Damian666 said:

you guys don't get it huh?

sure we can rip and generate, but where the hell is the fun then?

I find it more fun to do it myself...

Accurate maps with accurate tilesets. Every map I've seen so far by anyone has been wrong because their tilesets aren't correct. The issues are minor, but they exist and are irksome.

• 2 months later...