Wolfy 2D Engine

TheNuclearWolf

Wolfy 2D

A 2D MMORPG MAKER

If your wondering what happened to MMXV 3D, IĀ have canceled that project and I am finishing this one instead as it'sĀ easier to make and finish.

MMXV 3D it gonna become a multi-purpose multiplayer game engine much like Unity or Unreal!

About

Wolfy started as a project for me to learn how to code in C
I started this project when I was only 9 it did not

take long for me to realize I had nowhere near enough knowledge in coding.

Wolfy is a 2d MMORPG engine not unlike many already here.

So you may be wondering whats so special about this one?

Well I'll scratch the surface of what this engine can do:

Ā 

Dynamic lights & Shadows
Runs on Mobile and Browser

Can hold up to 2000 concurrent players!

Directx11, 10, 9 and OpenGL!
The server is headless perfect for hosting large servers!

Non-Grid based map editor!

Map generator to make forests, dungeons, and so on!

Ā 

I have a part-time job and IĀ also have school.

I'mĀ putting as much time and effort into this engine as I can.

Ā 

Features

-----COMPLETED-----

Multiple Channels for chat

Dynamic Lights & Shadows

Players

Monsters

NPC's

Directx 11, 10, 9 & OpenGL

Critical hits and Blocking

Attributes

Items & Gold

Server Authoritative

Skills, Skillbar,Ā Skill Levels

Looting

Trading

Item shop

Non-Grid based worlds

Crafting

Quest Indicators

PvP System

NPC Trading and Quests

MysqlĀ Database

Secure network

Login and Character Selection

Guild System

Ā 

-----WORK IN PROGRESS-----

"Updated 18/09/2017"

Ā 

-Server 95% Completed

-Editor 40% Completed

-Importing new textures/tilesets 20% Completed (Due to how I made the engine, I did not think about importing new textures.)

-SkillShotsĀ 0% Completed

-Pets & MountsĀ 0% Completed

-PVP zone, Safezone, CustomĀ 0% Completed

-OtherĀ 0% Completed

-Requested FeaturesĀ 0% Completed

Ā 

Anything you see here can change at any time, do not expect the final releaseĀ to contain anything you see here.

I am working as hard as I can to implement every feature possible.

17 minutes ago, Gibier said:

I think you need to be a member more than one-two weeks to be able to post picture and stuff. What I suggest you is wait till you can post them. While this time work on the engine to be sure to post few more picture.

Ā 

Good continu on this big solo project.

Thank you for mentioning this!

12 hours ago, TheNuclearWolf said:

Features

-AAA Graphics

-Free Server Hosts World Wide

-Powerful and Beautiful Weather System

-Powerful AI

-Character Creation

Ā 

WIP Features

-Editors 8% Completed

-GameplayĀ 0% Completed

-DocumentationĀ 0% Completed

-And tons moreĀ 1% Completed

Ā 

Ā 

Well, that some short feature-list and a hell of a lot work to be done..

To early to name a price for my opinion. (some pictures will help though)
You should also change the font size as I did ^^ (easierĀ for the reader)

Hope to see some update from you :)

33 minutes ago, Colonello said:

Would be very cool to see this happen but it seems a bit early to announce it seeing as none of the features are even at 10% yet. Regardless I'm excited to see more! :)

Ā 
Ā 

You may be right, But I have been working on this for about a year now. I have finished Graphics, Servers, And much more.

Ā 

39 minutes ago, Kibbelz said:

I think you really need something impressive and worth showing first.

I am working on some pictures and videos I plan to upload soon.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Ariel said:

Well, that some short feature-list and a hell of a lot work to be done..

To early to name a price for my opinion. (some pictures will help though)
You should also change the font size as I did ^^ (easierĀ for the reader)

Hope to see some update from you :)

Ā 
Ā 

I will be uploading some pictures soon,
It's just hard because I don't have any models or animations to show off.
If you want IĀ can expand the list to everything I have and intend to add.

Ā 

Also thanks for the note, when i update the post next ill try to remember to change the font size.

Ā 

4 hours ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@TheNuclearWolfĀ Erm are you talking when it's done or in it's current state for the poll? Because those percentages aren't promising.

Talking about when it's done, If the engine was complete how much would you pay.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I understand all of your skepticism.
A new person claiming to develop a powerful 3D engine, Without anything to show off.
I would be skeptical as well.
Ā 

Ā 

I may not have much to show off yet, I may also have noĀ reputation on these forums, and no one here knows me.
So for my first impression, I gotta be pretty good.

I'll work on getting pictures tonight.

8 minutes ago, TheNuclearWolf said:

That poll is mostly just to see how manyĀ people would buy it.

Ā 

Honestly, with nothing to show, no track record and no demos.. Not a whole not. Not to mention a 3D game is a lot more demanding in terms of resources and animations. There's not much going on in terms of easily accessible resources for people that'll work mostly plug and play, unlike say these smaller 2D engines. You'll likely have a fairly hard time getting anyone to really go for this, because why would the people that actually have the time and skill to make a 3D MMOĀ not just use Unity and get a few cheap-o networking plugins or write them themselves? What makes your solution easier for those people in the long run? Can they customize everything extensibly enough to make it worth their while?

Ā 

You'll really want to put yourself out there and make a solid case as to why people need your solution to their problems. Right now all I see is empty promises with nothing to offer over any other solution.

5 minutes ago, Chronos said:

Ā 

Honestly, with nothing to show, no track record and no demos.. Not a whole not. Not to mention a 3D game is a lot more demanding in terms of resources and animations. There's not much going on in terms of easily accessible resources for people that'll work mostly plug and play, unlike say these smaller 2D engines. You'll likely have a fairly hard time getting anyone to really go for this, because why would the people that actually have the time and skill to make a 3D MMOĀ not just use Unity and get a few cheap-o networking plugins or write them themselves? What makes your solution easier for those people in the long run? Can they customize everything extensibly enough to make it worth their while?

Ā 

Ā 

My solution comes with
Free Models, Free MoCap Animations, Free Textures,Ā Visual Scripting, & Free server hosting.

I plan for the MMO itself to be built with the visual scripting system, meaning everything in-game can be changed.

This also makes it so new coders can not only learn how to codeĀ but to also create an MMORPG while there at it.

Due to it all being done inside the editors, this allows users to, for example, Change the game from 3rd person to 1st person, or change it from a fantasy RPG to a space survival game.
And so far a few people alreadyĀ seem very interested not just on this forum.

Ā 

I will be posting pictures very soon, And once the engine gets to a stable state I will also look into publishing a demo.

Ā 

And I am also thinking about adding the ability to actually code c# instead of using the visual scripter.

So basically, a modern RealmCrafter interpretation? I'd say take a good look at where they failed and try to learn from it.

Ā 

Mind you, I'm not saying you're destined to fail. I'm just highly skeptical because over the past decade or so you're not the first person to promise an easy to use 3D MMORPG engine, and honestly I've seen most of them fail miserably.

4 minutes ago, Chronos said:

So basically, a modern RealmCrafter interpretation? I'd say take a good look at where they failed and try to learn from it.

Ā 

Mind you, I'm not saying you're destined to fail. I'm just highly skeptical because over the past decade or so you're not the first person to promise an easy to use 3D MMORPG engine, and honestly I've seen most of them fail miserably.

Ā 

Yeah with a few majorĀ changes

Ā 

I completely understand your skepticism,Ā I would be the same.
Ā 

Update 19/01/2017

Graphical
I just changed the tree renderer,
it can now support up to 200k treesĀ with colliders at one time.

GKE4DvG.png

-----This is not a showcase of the graphics, just a showcase of the trees. The low-quality trees is because I had the LOD set to low, to increase performance, I don't have a very good computer-----

Editors

Finished the base of the node editor, now working on creating more nodes.

Then I need to work on sending the node information to MYSQL and loading it with the client and running it when needed.

Ā 

Misc

To makes things easier for me, for now, this engine will be made to create a multiplayer game, not just an MMORPG, After I get it all setup I will then start adding MMORPG features to make it easy to create an MMORPG with it, instead of it being an MMORPG engine only.

Ā 

Possibly changing the server mechanics, If I Do this I will no longer provide free server hosts, but hosting a server will be much easier to manage. At the moment the servers hosting is done by a master server, When you create a server it actually creates a room inside the master server that your client connect to. I may change this to being a server you host and port forward because if I don'tĀ the master servers may be overloaded often, and I would have to sell the engine for $5000+ to produce the money needed to host the master server.

Ā 

Also, I am thinking of converting the engine over to Unity 5. This will make things much easier, and faster.

Ā 

i don't want to hate your engine i respect your work, but i rather would use Unity over a selfmade engine. Probably if you would make your stuff working on Unity and bring it on the asset store you would get some money out of it since there are just 3-4 good mmorpg assets at the moment. maybe you could beat em by making a own c# server rather then using a cloud server like photon and stuff.

5 hours ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@TheNuclearWolfĀ Want me or someone else to run the demo on higher settings for a better showcase since your pc can't handle it? (Don't worry even if I wanted to do something with it I wouldn't know how xD)

Ā 

There is not much to test just a terrain with trees, i made it to get a picture. I can increase the quality and get a nice picture myself it's just my fps would be fairly low. Ill try to get a better picture including the weather and everything

Ā 

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

i don't want to hate your engine i respect your work, but i rather would use Unity over a selfmade engine. Probably if you would make your stuff working on Unity and bring it on the asset store you would get some money out of it since there are just 3-4 good mmorpg assets at the moment. maybe you could beat em by making a own c# server rather then using a cloud server like photon and stuff.

Ā 

Well, I am converting my engine to run inside Unity, But not as an asset.
It would take allot of customization to get it to work correctly as an asset.
maybe when I'mĀ finished with this version I'll create another for unity's asset store.

Ā 

5 hours ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@KevinĀ It's worth a try I mean most things such as unity started off like this so his engine could do well but I agree that it needs to stand out in some way, whether that be performance, features or easy use. (Also long time no see :P)Ā 

Ā 

I do agree, and I am open to suggestions on how I can make my engine unique.

@TheNuclearWolfĀ My suggestion would be a easy way to make models e.g make a sprite into a block model and change the depth or like a sculpting mechanic, just some way people with no real modelling skill can create a model and also easy texturing, keeping it free as others suggested would be a good idea too if you choose to go off donations so your engine is more appealing cost wise (not having to give a cut/pay a monthly amount/release fee.)

9 hours ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@TheNuclearWolfĀ My suggestion would be a easy way to make models e.g make a sprite into a block model and change the depth or like a sculpting mechanic, just some way people with no real modelling skill can create a model and also easy texturing, keeping it free as others suggested would be a good idea too if you choose to go off donations so your engine is more appealing cost wise (not having to give a cut/pay a monthly amount/release fee.)

Ā 

I will definitelyĀ look into that!

And about the price, If I do end up selling it there will be a free version. One that does not limit you, but only effects how many Player you can have online.

Update 25/01/2017

Server

The server is now complete, works on Linux, Mac, Windows, and Android (Androids are not capableĀ of running a full server but can run a temp test server).

Not much else in this update. so I'll leave the rest for next update.

Ā 

Also, I am looking at optimizing the server now, it's great but sends allot of data when idle. I fear it won't be able to handle more thanĀ 100 players as of now. Should be an easy fix, though.