Looking for Work Composer in search of game

MindWave

Hello!
I am an experimental musician, a sound producer and a sound engineer with more than 15 years of experience.
I play the guitar, synthesizers, and self-made noise objects.
Now I start to write music for computer games and I'm ready to work for a relatively low rate as a beginner.
Favorite OST - Bladerunner by Vangelis, first Quake from Trent Reznor, Fallout 1-2 Mark Morgan,DVA on Amanita design, Neverhood by Terry S. Taylor:)
The price is $ 100 per minute with fully exclusive rights, but if you have a wonderful world, but not enough money, write anyway, maybe we will agree:)

https://soundcloud.com/mind-wave/shortshowreel

if you like - write to the mail

mindwavegamemusic@gmail.com

[$$$]

42 minutes ago, MindWave said:

The price is $ 100 per minute with fully exclusive rights

By this do you mean $100 per minute of produced audio (so if someone wanted a 2 minute song it would be $200) or is it $100 per minute you spend working on it?

34 minutes ago, panda said:

By this do you mean $100 per minute of produced audio (so if someone wanted a 2 minute song it would be $200) or is it $100 per minute you spend working on it?

Going to assume 100 per minute of produced audio.

Anyways, it's pretty damn steep for this kind of place! Quality aside, people here are not used to paying 'real world' prices ;)

15 minutes ago, K   said:

Going to assume 100 per minute of produced audio.

That's what I was thinking, but Damian wasn't sure whether or not it was a troll thread so we figured it couldn't hurt to at least check.

17 minutes ago, panda said:

That's what I was thinking, but Damian wasn't sure whether or not it was a troll thread so we figured it couldn't hurt to at least check.

Either way as hobbyists none of use are going to fork out that kind of money :7_sweat_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!
Forgive me for the long response - the forum did not send me notifications of new messages.
Of course, any thing costs as much as it is willing to pay (and sell for that price!)
Buying a track, you pay for the work of a composer, arranger, sound engineer, well, talent, of course!
In addition, the use of purchased equipment, tools and programs.
The three-minute track for me is a few days of hard work. How much do you earn during this time?
But guys, if you have a cool game and you need my music, I'm ready to start working for the thirty bucks!
The rest can be given in parts when the game begins to sell.

here the new track

https://soundcloud.com/mind-wave/dark-caves

https://www.fiverr.com/search/gigs?utf8=✓&source=top-bar&locale=en&search_in=everywhere&query=music composer

I would pay you 100$ per minute if you were Steve Vai. I understand that it's not only the time of work but skills and equipment, but you should give us a better explanation if you pretend us to pay you that crazy amount for just 1 minute of song.

I think Steve Vai is worth a little more, and do not forget to pay Steve Albini
joke

Looked at your link, - I do not understand how earn selling exclusive tracks for $ 5. - Making their ten for a day?

Good music is not written like that.
If you want to bargain with me, write an e-mail, in any case I'm open to communication.

2 hours ago, MindWave said:

I think Steve Vai is worth a little more, and do not forget to pay Steve Albini
joke

Looked at your link, - I do not understand how earn selling exclusive tracks for $ 5. - Making their ten for a day?

Good music is not written like that.
If you want to bargain with me, write an e-mail, in any case I'm open to communication.

If you open their offers you can see that actually they ask for more than that, for example it is not unusual find offers like 75$-85$ for 3 minutes of song with 10+ instrumentes. Anyways, I'm not criticizing you, you can put the price you think your work worths, I'm only saying that it looks a bit expensive for me.

Good luck

That price is really steep lmao. What stops me going to PeoplePerHour or Fiverr and hiring a sound producer there for $10-20? I've seen some /really/ talented (though completely obscured to the industry's eyes) producers and composers on there.

If you're going to try selling a house in the same neighbourhood as those guys for 5x/10x/20x the price, at least explain why you think it's worth it, post some of your past work, qualifications, etc. If you're just another guy producing music like the guys on Fiverr (except one guy I saw who was actually a sound engineer) there's no difference between the two of you, but if you attended music school and learned formally then yeah, there's some substance to your production quality.

I'm sure you probably feel like everyone is ganging up on you here and that's probably a bit shit of them to do, since you didn't actually know this was a hobbyist level community when you joined (you probably assumed it was a serious game development forum due to the site name, so it's understandable you'd think there'd be professional devs and studios throwing money around to make games here) however this is not. It's a hobbyist community, we can try to dress the cow up to look nice but at the end of the day, it's still a cow.

Also I think your prices are stuck in the 90s because every man and his dog can produce music thanks to programs like flstudio. Hell, I produce poor quality music all of the time, still, I'd rather drop 50 poor quality tracks I made myself, than pay $10000 (assuming 2 minutes per track, I put out 1:40 per track at least, at $100 per minute) to have someone else make the songs, what with all the risk involved (say I don't like you 2 minute track after paying you, and you make like 3 more and I still don't like them, what then?) - we're all indie devs here. We all do different things and we're mostly not professionals at any of our primary skills, chances are that more than likely if I made that game with 50 placeholder tracks, some composer/producer will see that I have something that's basically already released and remake the tracks for the game with mixing and mastering free or significantly cheaper, at probably $5-10 per minute, or even in-game privileges. There are always people willing to put forth effort for the latter.

That being said- I do feel $200 for a main game theme is worth it. It's the most important track of the game, the one players hear every time they open it, the song they hum to themselves 8 years later when they're taking a dump, the song that creates the auditory 'identity' of your game, setting the mood for the player. A well done main theme is worth this price, but songs where players will hear it for 4-5 minutes, perhaps only once as BGM is not.

As for how the producers on Fiverr/PeoplePerHour make money is that they live in countries with very low costs of living. $5 in Thailand would basically buy you two meals at restaurants. Western producers and composers are working at western prices, so developers are outsourcing to countries with an abundance of people willing to work for cheap. In the end, the end result is 'get what you pay for' but paying $5 to some third world guy is like paying the same guy $20 if he lived in the US/EU.

Like I said, stuck in the 90s pricing, you can't compete at your pricing. There's not really a market for music composers/producers who don't show exceptional talent (enough to be picked up for movies and large studios, but then you're competing with people like Jeremy Soule who have a proven track record spanning decades.

I'm sorry my guy, but it's not just music being hit by things like this. Prices to get anything done are dropping. Art, Coding, if's digital it's doable by someone in India/China/Africa. Also if I had the aforementioned $10,000- no, $5,000, no, not even that, $1,000- if I had $1,000 I could have an entirely custom coded game engine made for $700, with all the features Intersect has, then spend the other $300 having two guys go through and clean it all up.