Intersect Hosting Solutions - Easiest way to host your games!

jcsnider

Hey everyone. This is just a quick heads up that I will be performing yearly maintenance and software upgrades on our hosting and billing panels over the next few days. I expect some downtime to our hosting panels but there should be zero downtime for the game servers themselves. Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Additionally we just switched payment processors over from PayPal to Stripe, so if you were interested in hosting but PayPal was a deal breaker or wasn't available in your country I invite you to try signing up again.

For all existing PayPal subscribers, your subscriptions will remain in place as-is until you cancel, but Stripe is the go-to platform for new hosting subscriptions.

Thanks everyone!

• 4 months later...

Good evening, I bought an intersect cloud housting server, and I wanted to make the way to update my game, except that I have an error which appears and cannot proceed to the manipulation to be done. Can you help me ? Thank you community

035c7b2e4e88b536d818ca311689db7b.png

Hey @Cocolharicot, thanks for signing up!

The cloud hosting service is just for running the game servers. Actually hosting your game content for updates requires a web host of some type. Just about any shared web host will do.

I am hoping to provide update hosting capabilities in the future, but right now it wouldn't be cost effective and fairly challenging to setup.

8 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Hey @Cocolharicot, thanks for signing up!

The cloud hosting service is just for running the game servers. Actually hosting your game content for updates requires a web host of some type. Just about any shared web host will do.

I am hoping to provide update hosting capabilities in the future, but right now it wouldn't be cost effective and fairly challenging to setup.

Hey @jcsnider Do you have a way to be able to perform the updates? I don't want to pay for a webhost in addition to the server.

Outside of something like Github pages (which requires some technical knowhow to setup) I do not know of any good/free services for update hosting.  Update hosting is not thing I provide because most webhosts do it cheaper than what I could offer.

2 hours ago, Cocolharicot said:

Hey @jcsnider Do you have a way to be able to perform the updates? I don't want to pay for a webhost in addition to the server.

I can give you a hand with it, had the same issue until yesterday, I'll send you a pm

for anyone with the same problem, please take a look to the autoupdater documentation

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

We don't know. There is no hard limit. 

For reference Leafling running on a server roughly 2x as fast as the $50 tier hit 300 players on B6. It didn't play well with that amount of traffic but since then dozens of performance enhancements have been made if you're using B7. 

So I'd say at least 150 if you're on vanilla b7, but it could possibly handle way more. Once you start adding custom coded features though there is no way to even guess. If they are poorly implemented they can cripple a server with very few players online. 

4 hours ago, jcsnider said:

no lo sabemos No hay un límite estricto. 

Como referencia, Leafling se ejecuta en un servidor aproximadamente 2 veces más rápido que el nivel de $ 50 y llega a 300 jugadores en B6. No funcionó bien con esa cantidad de tráfico, pero desde entonces se han realizado docenas de mejoras de rendimiento si usa B7. 

Así que diría al menos 150 si estás en vainilla b7, pero posiblemente podría manejar mucho más. Una vez que comience a agregar funciones codificadas personalizadas, no hay forma de adivinar. Si se implementan de manera deficiente, pueden paralizar un servidor con muy pocos jugadores en línea. 

To increase the number of players talking about hosting features, what is the most important thing to increase RAM or CPU? Or is it more a matter of server configuration or performance?

1 hour ago, jcsnider said:

RAM doesn't matter much as long as you have a few gigs.

The most important metric is a fantastic, low latency internet connection for the server.

After that its CPU.

My internet connection is 54 mbps with a ping of 37, and the CPU of my physical server is Intel Xeon E 2224G 4.7 GHz and 8GB of Ram, although I plan to increase it to 16GB. Do you think it is good to get many simultaneous players with these characteristics??

On 1/29/2022 at 11:16 PM, Siege said:

My internet connection is 20.5 mbps

Your current connection will barely allow you to play with a couple of friends nearby, If you want to host an intersect based game by yourself, you will need some dedicated hardware and a service (not domestic) dedicated link with the closest direct Node of your ISP, hopefully with Gygabyte + speeds. If you can't do that or your don't have the proper knowledge to start up a service such as this one at home, maybe your best option is to look after an external hosting solution for your service, such as what JC is offering for example.

13 minutes ago, Arufonsu said:

Your current connection will barely allow you to play with a couple of close friends. If you want to host an intersection-based game yourself, you'll need dedicated hardware equipment and a serving (non-domestic) dedicated FFTH link to your ISP's nearest Direct Node, hopefully with Gygabyte+ speeds. If you can't do that or don't have the right skills to start a service like this in-house, maybe your best option is to look for an external hosting solution for your service, like what JC offers. for example.

Sorry, I said wrong, it's 54 mbps more or less, even so I don't agree with what it says since in a test I did a long time ago I was able to play with about 35 people at the same time and not close to me near precisely since I'm from Spain and Those people are from Argentina and Mexico and it went well for me, but I don't know the limit of what I could bear.

If is meant to be something small or you are just starting out working locally, you should be fine for a while by hosting at home but, you will eventually run into bottleneck issues with your brandwidth as your project grows and more players join in.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:11 AM, Siege said:

35 people

Is not just about the 35 simultaneous connections, it's about everything else that you prettend to offer within the game service: website traffic, game download, latency (hosting a game in europe that pretends to allow people in argentina or mexico to play is a bad idea in terms of latency, you should limit your audience to people around europe if you are hosting from spain), security, server hardening and more...

As for how much you can handle with 54Mbps? idk man, it's up to you to do an stress test, and my only guess with that somewhat limited domestic connection is: not so much, sounds like the ideal scenario for an eventual bottleneck in your brandwidth.

4 hours ago, Arufonsu said:

Is not just about the 35 simultaneous connections, it's about everything else that you prettend to offer within the game service: website traffic, game download, latency (hosting a game in europe that pretends to allow people in argentina or mexico to play is a bad idea in terms of latency, you should limit your audience to people around europe if you are hosting from spain), security, server hardening and more...

As for how much you can handle with 54Mbps? idk man, it's up to you to do an stress test, and my only guess with that somewhat limited domestic connection is: not so much, sounds like the ideal scenario for an eventual bottleneck in your brandwidth.

Thanks for the information friend :D a pleasure

4 hours ago, Arufonsu said:

As for how much you can handle with 54Mbps? idk man, it's up to you to do an stress test, and my only guess with that somewhat limited domestic connection is: not so much, sounds like the ideal scenario for an eventual bottleneck in your brandwidth.

I was with a 54 MBps adapter wi-fi, I tried to connect the ethernet  from the server to the router and now I receive 1.2 GBps, I imagine that this is better than before in terms of speed

10 hours ago, Cheshire said:

Domestic connections tend to be geared towards throughput, not moment to moment reliability.

But it's all up to you, if you think you can get away with it why not try it?

Can always upgrade to a datacenter server if it turns out to be an issue.

Thank you very much for your answer really cheshire, I thought that nobody would be willing to tell me something like "why not try it"? and not that they tell you that the only possibility is paying for a vps, I really appreciate it cheshire your response has helped me morally a lot since my wish is that and I think it is something that should respect the wishes of each person regardless of whether It is the best choice or not, thanks friend thanks.

There's no point in paying for services that you don't need. And it's very easy to test and find out if your connection and machine will do the job. It's also very easy to upgrade at any time. If I wasn't already leasing these data center servers I'd totally do all alpha/beta testing hosted at home and then upgrade when traffic got too large. But most people don't have viable servers lying around, or are at schools where they can't host a game, or they are not comfortable configuring their network/router which is the gap these services fill. 

17 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

There's no point in paying for services that you don't need. And it's very easy to test and find out if your connection and machine will do the job. It's also very easy to upgrade at any time. If I wasn't already leasing these data center servers I'd totally do all alpha/beta testing hosted at home and then upgrade when traffic got too large. But most people don't have viable servers lying around, or are at schools where they can't host a game, or they are not comfortable configuring their network/router which is the gap these services fill. 

To me, the work you did to be able to provide this type of service to people seems spectacular, but even so, knowing that there are security risks if I do it myself, I want to take a risk because that is what I feel without further ado, in the end I'm going to cover the expenses myself, but that's what I want, to set goals and meet them, what I'm going to do is go up from the 1.2 GBps I have to 3.2 GBps, I imagine that this way I'll have more possibilities of receiving more people in the game without having a considerable lag, I appreciate all the information you have given me JC if I see that it does not work for me in the end I will definitely consider buying the $50 one from you, thank you for everything you do and all the contributors that continue with intersection.