[WIP] Pestilence

Neeknog

logokkkkk_zpsawhk09iw.png

Hello Everyone at AGD, Thanks to Intersect 1.9 I have finally begun (RE) working on my game Pestilence. Formerly known as Dance Of Death, Pestilence is a 2D Rogue-Like based around the black plague. Im so thankful for intersect and all of the work JC and Kibblez have been putting into this amazing engine. Its barley even complete ad I still think it is further along and more useful than any Eclipse/Mirage based engine I have ever used. I was a bit skeptical about starting a game in an unfinished engine, but now I am very happy that I did. Im hoping to have a little alpha complete in the next month or so just for testing and shits and giggles.

gui_zpsbyyg0l5a.png

intersectrender_zpsxhj4meli.png

Information
Dance of Death is a 2d online rpg based around the Bubonic plague. DOD Is jam packed with story telling & lore, events, custom features and much more. Train on mystical creatures, plague carriers, the undead and other enemies. Follow the Epic quest line from clean city's to infected villages, city's and castles. The main mission being to help find a cure for the black plague. Meet interesting characters and learn all about the wacky methods these citizens from the dark age use to try and avoid the plague. From toad licking, religion, smelling herbs, releasing blood from their body's, and locking them selves up. These people will pretty much do anything to try and rid the plague.

Current Classes
Priest-
Priests have the ability to use special skills/spells that will add resistance to infection/blackness and also heal it completely. They may also enchant weapons and armor with special resistance to infection/blackness.
Plague Doctor- Plague Doctors have the required knowledge to create medicine that can heal blackness much better than the natural herbs found in game and other unconventional methods. They also can wear special gear that is lower in defense but much higher in blackness resistance.

Classes To Come
Farmer-
Farmers have the skills required to gather food that will lower your hunger level. They can also gather needed herbs, mushrooms and other ingredients that plague doctors will require for making medicine.

Screen Shots:

updater_zpszjfr1k2t.png

newtrees_zps57ox8iaw.png

5_zpsia2jyryf.png

6_zpsugwahiv9.png

7_zpspuwlgzen.png

Current World Map WIP

8989898989_zpsra5q7977.png

Custom Features
-Blackness percentage. If your blackness bar re aches 100% an alert will appear letting you know your are infected. Your character sprite will change to the infected sprite and you will experience major in game penalty's. This includes a Major decrease in your max hp, mp, and all of your combat skills such as damage, int ex. You will not die just because your blackness Reaches 100% But if you do die while being 100% infected you will loose all of your inventory items and re-spawn with your blackness level still at 100% Allowing your blackness level to reach 100% should be avoided at all costs while pk-ing. To bad all the pk zones have a high infection rate.

-Hunger system, staying healthy is important in these times. The more hungry you are the quicker you will become infected.

-Npc's can infect you with plague illness while attacking you. The speed in which they infect you will differ between npc's.

-Certain areas of the world and maps can infect you with blackness, A sewer will raise your blackness level much quicker that a forest will.

-New Item type: Medicine. These items such as mushrooms, toads and flowers can help lower your blackness percentage.

-New skill type medicine making. Combine mushrooms, blood, flowers and all type of wacky ingredients to achieve better medicines that will heal you much better.

-New Item Type: Blood Letting. This allows a player to buy or find a special item type that trades health for a reduction of infection level. So if a player finds a knife, he can choose to cut himself with it. This will lower his hp by 50% but also his blackness level by 50% A small sacrifice.

-Heavily trapped and guarded citys, to prevent plague holders from spreading disease.

-Rats, Mice, bugs and certain other animals and scenarios can raise your blackness level.
-Large quest series involving the whole realms attempt to rid the plague.
-If caught stealing or breaking laws you will be sent to jail. Your blackness bar will slowly raise in jail but smart players can break free from jail.
-Different citys will show their percent chance of infection upon entering city walls.
-Sewers hold a high chance of becoming blackened. Only stay in the sewers for short periods of time.
-Food will lower your blackness bar, also washing your hands, feet, face. Bathing and basic antibiotics. Certain herbs and mushrooms will help.

Reminds me in story of http://store.steampowered.com/app/412450/ - Black Death.

It also reminds me of an idea I had a while back that also took place in this time period, except instead of being a disease, the black death was where the infected were possessed by Demons and farther along infected people were full on demonic mutations with multiple limbs etc roaming the wilderness.

Is the art all yours?

It seems like it'll be fun- how're you handling PvP?

Thanks you guys for the interest.

Yes all the art is 100% custom made by me. The only thing not created by me is the blue skull image on the main menu GUI, but it is simply serving as a placeholder for now.

Ive been working on the game for a few years with the concept down. I did not base the idea of any games I had played prior. Well what I know I have worked out for pk is this. When a Player becomes 100% infected with the plague and dies the player will loose 100% of their inventory items. With this being said, the areas of the world that are pk enabled will just so happen to be all the ruined towns and city's were the plague has swept through. So this means when players are in the pk areas they will gain "Blackness" very quickly and reach 100% infected at a much much higher rate then their normal surroundings. So if the player chooses to enter these pk zones they are taking a huge risk on loosing their inventory items. Sure if they player reaches 95% infected they can always Just try to run out of the highly infectious areas. But I will be building these areas very deep and large. So I am sure the serious pkers will go far in and risk it all for the high cost items.

There will be many low infection zones and many obtainable remedys to cure disease. Plauge doctors will be the crafting class that can craft medicines and sell to other players. The high infect zones will be things like sewers, towns and city's. Most high infect areas will be pk enabled zones.

I might have it so that any players can pick herbs and shrooms but only plague doctors can turn them into medicines. Not sure though might be to easy that way. People will be selling all other herbs then using money to buy meds. And plague doctors will just by herbs to make meds.

It will all eventually be balanced out and perfected. It will be a sort of system where not everyone can pick plague doctor or the world will  be unbalanced. There will be a very specific need for each class and without each class the world will not function properly.

An other render with Intersect:

df_zpsatxtpql4.png

Working on One of the first Plague infested towns in the game! This might be the new user starting zone as well. Note that all major towns and citys in game that are not infested with the plague will be locked down! this means the city or town gates will be heavily guarded and an official court appointed plague doctor must give you an exam before entering. If your infected meter is at even 1% you will not be allowed in the towns. Such towns will act as safe zones from pking and you will not become infected in the town. Though if you happen to adventure into a city sewer or something the town cannot guarantee your safety. I plan on having city guards and militia patrolling inside the citys so if you come up from a sewer infected you will be killed. I suggest taking some medicine with you.

plagueee_zps2viwv6gn.png

Blood letting is an ordinary thing is these times, so do not be surprised to see pools of blood.. or even a well full of blood..

• 3 months later...

Thanks a lot bud. Working hard on this thing. Gave all the tiles a tweak in the contrast, look much more bold now. The fog overlay does not make them look as light and dull as before, it also brings a little darker feel to the game.

Spending the Bulk of my time working on the small island where players will start their journey in pestilence. No this is not a tutorial island where players are forced to read a tutorial, but it will act as a starting training zone and the start to the main quest line of pestilence.

42d409720a9553bc092a9f8f4179361d.png

Its still a large Work In Progress, a lot on the island will change. Thanks to Nightmare wolf game for some inspiration on elevation, im getting better with it.