Intersect Game Jam?

Neeknog

Who would join a 7 day Intersect game jam?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who would join a 7 day Intersect game jam?

• Yes
    • No

Who would be down to do a intersect game jam? I could organize it and setup a thread for it. Set the perimeters and theme and a start and end time. Comment Below if you would join this. 

Well the game jam would be making a game with intersect engine. Not sure how many people would know how to use it over there, would definitely skew the results in intersect community member's favor.

2 hours ago, Neeknog said:

Well the game jam would be making a game with intersect engine. Not sure how many people would know how to use it over there, would definitely skew the results in intersect community member's favor.

Right, but itch isn't engine specific. There are lots of jams for different engines. This would put the intersect jam on the big list of jams they always have running. Maybe it makes sense to expand from our little group here to the larger indy game dev market

https://itch.io/jams

I understand what your saying, and I'm not against posting it around. What I mean is someone who has been using intersect for years would likely have the advantage right?

EDIT: Here is a little mockup of a flyer! I also added a poll to the top of this thread.

5edfbbad134405bdf8b88538848961b8.png

Just for reference, nothing on the flyer is 100% actualized. Obviously the kinks will have to be worked out if enough people want to join in it.
The more likely approach would be for me to check the resources folders and see what's lacking. Then manually add in graphics that fit the vanilla ones to make the set more complete.

The problem is that I will have no way of determining weather or not the graphics used in a submission have been being crafted for 10 years or during the game jam week. So this was my idea on how to even the playing field and allow players to vote based on game mechanics, design, story and events etc.

I would be down to do it on vanilla intersect with vanilla graphics.
Problem 1: I just can't host a server, so I would have to upload the files somewhere.

Problem 2: Would participators be streaming their dev time within that week? Otherwise I can start now and say I did it next month. ;)

Otherwise, I don't see no problem with it, could be fun.

I also commented on discord about this but i'll leave it here too:

I like the idea of an Intersect Game jam! I also like the idea of default assets only (maybe if its somewhat successful then another jam edition can be made with different rules regarding assets if people want to). Having the limitation of using base assets + no-source-edits is already a cool restriction and it can let people spark some creatives ways of using the engine. 

As i commented i think that having the rule of hosting your server be an optional rule instead of mandatory would work best for people that cant/dont want to host a server for a week for it. You can share the server files and the client and let people self-host (i know that is basically giving the entire thing you made away to the open world, but there are jams like this that share the "source" code, so i don't think it would be much of an issue).

I also support Smoot's idea of using itch.io for it ( https://itch.io/docs/creators/game-jams ), it can be scheduled and easily shared, increasing Intersect presence over there which is a good thing imo.

I love the idea of only baked in assets. Limitations are a good thing on jams I think. The idea is to give a short reachable goal and see how it goes.

Good stuff, looking forward to it

We'd prefer that this game jam is specifically called out in the advertising material as not being official, e.g. being called "Niko's Intersect Game Jam".

JC and I don't really have the free time at the moment to be involved in this, but it's not a bad idea.

If this game jam does garner enough interest, we can work on planning a game jam together with the community to take place further into the future when we do have more time to properly support it and provide meaningful prizes.