WIP Shoppe: A Slice of Life

trollface

[Anything written here is subject to change as development chugs along. When we have our systems finalized, you'll be updated about them here at our discretion. More basic information to be updated over the coming month.]

Shoppe: A Slice of Life

Spoiler

Is a One Life crafting based cooperation MMORPG with an emphasize on Story Progression, with the virtue of Production as the Theme for the entire game.

Engine

Spoiler

The Godot 3.2 Engine is what the game is being built on.

Overview

Spoiler

In Shoppe, you are a survivor from a war torn country seeking a new life for yourself. You do this by using Reason to over come obstacles in achieving your values. Progression of the game is done by the players who can either work together in Gelf's Gulch, to strengthen your ability to survive, exploit and invent, or, go out and attempt to live in a harsh, deadly environment by the sweat of your brow and wit of your mind. 

Combat is slow paced. There will be no killing 50 chickens for a quest. Every encounter you have with wild life, or, natives, can be extremely harmful and possibly even deadly. 

You will have only a single character, and one life. If you die, that's it. Your life goes out of existence, and you must make a new character. All your property either gets destroyed or is put up for auction for other players.

As you contribute assets to Gelf's Gulch, the protection afforded to you by the local police increases, decreasing the chance that wild animals and natives destroy your property. You can even contribute to the growing medical building, and as you do, you are granted extra "lives" when mortally injured.

Story

Spoiler

You flee a country, Nacerima, that has devolved into a destructive civil war between the Teralicush and the Disrepanem, where neither side winning means good for you.

Some fleeing citizens are attempting to find a place to live away from the warring factions. You are invited by Gelf Mariani, a disaffected commander, to a secret location where some ex-military have begun to build a settlement. They require people of ability, crafters and inventors, to aid the soldiers in surviving.

Once you arrive at Gelf's Gulch, you strike a deal to help build the town in exchange for protection by the newly created town defensive force.

Make a life for yourself. Help build the town for your own protection.

Media

Spoiler

e155ed7d936e7d93c7e6ce07a66360ea.png

c0ffd537ece97a498c551e272c173c79.png

Youtube Channel for Public Updates

Attack animation done and ready for future testing.

The weapon is held in the right hand. Depending on the weapon you wield, your attack arc ( the range you hit enemies) vary. This sword will eventually hit enemies in front of and to the character's right.

Down the line I will refine all basic animations. I don't want to spend hours and hours making the swing of weapons impactful just yet. 

https://youtu.be/SaM_TdK_BTI

All yesterday I was fighting with drivers and my pen monitor. Finally got it to 'sort of work'. I'll have to order a new drawing monitor as mine is 7 years old, and the drivers are driving me nuts!

Managed to get a few basic trees done.

Spoiler

zHHZOeo.png

w9BPcjC.png

wat9VEc.png

4 hours ago, trollface said:

All yesterday I was fighting with drivers and my pen monitor. Finally got it to 'sort of work'. I'll have to order a new drawing monitor as mine is 7 years old, and the drivers are driving me nuts!

Managed to get a few basic trees done.

zHHZOeo.png

w9BPcjC.png

wat9VEc.png

They look good ^^ well done

Out of curiosity, did you guys disable the map item despawn timer? Since you seem to be using them for object placement in wondering if that's been an issue yet.

Looking good by the way. Interesting to see the video presentation as well!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long three weeks. 

The Intersect Engine is not suited for a farming/crafting game so my team has decided to use the Godot engine.

As development continues, I'll keep updating this thread. I don't know when the next update will be since I don't know how long it'll take until I have something to report using a new engine. 

1 hour ago, Beefy Kasplant said:

Lol. Classic. You're going to miss so much in Godot that Intersect does have. Make sure you pick one engine and stick to it, there are so many people here restarting their project in something new every 4 months and they never release

Well, intersect can't handle the core mechanic we need for our game, so we didn't have a choice. We asked questions concerning our issues here, but they never got answered, so we moved on, unfortunately. 

Who knew farming could be so intense!

2 hours ago, Khaikaa said:

Whats the problem you found on intersect that is solved by using godot?

Seems he wants to have a full farming/crafting(like Minecraft) system work without changing the source.

But if he is going the MMO route, then Godot is probably going to be harder in that sense.

1 hour ago, CosakiGames said:

Seems he wants to have a full farming/crafting(like Minecraft) system work without changing the source.

Not sure what you mean about not changing the source? I talked with the guy working on the code  for this game a few times. He made tons of changes to the source but did run into some limitations he was not able to find solutions for when it came to farming editor he created. I know most of the answers to questions here are 'edit the source' mostly coming from people who do not code. Some things are just not worth it if you are having to rewrite core engine functions to make the feature you want which is what this was turning into.

33 minutes ago, Justn said:

Not sure what you mean about not changing the source? I talked with the guy working on the code  for this game a few times. He made tons of changes to the source but did run into some limitations he was not able to find solutions for when it came to farming editor he created. I know most of the answers to questions here are 'edit the source' mostly coming from people who do not code. Some things are just not worth it if you are having to rewrite core engine functions to make the feature you want which is what this was turning into.

I watched a YT video of his and he stated that he is just learning the basics of coding, so I am assuming like many people (including myself) it's easier to use an engine that's basic features fit our idea so not much coding/scripting needs to be done.

If you took my comment as some sort of attack, that is not how it was meant. Some of us just are not good at coding and prefer not to have to deal with it.

23 minutes ago, CosakiGames said:

If you took my comment as some sort of attack, that is not how it was meant. Some of us just are not good at coding and prefer not to have to deal with it.

No not at all just wasn't sure where you got that he didn't have someone editing the source for him. I'm not good at coding either. I just wanted to point out that they did try working with the source and the coder was running into some limitations that I guess they felt were not possible/worth the changes needed to continue.