Game Realm of Gourd - Rebirth

Triangle

I had this dumb XW project (back when that was a thing lol) that was stick figures running around in a land made out of my really bad ms paint artwork because I'm the worst artist ever and have no talent. I doubt anyone knows what I'm talking about, but that's okay, because it barely matters.

So I've been keeping tabs on intersect, because it's COOL...and practicing spriting so I can make sprites that don't cause people to vomit blood upon viewing them (I don't think that counts as good, but it's better than nothing I guess), and I made the mistake of making my new years resolution for 2019 to be "actually make something playable (not good, or fun, or complete, just playable)" so here I am making...a dumb project that's stick figures running around in a land made out of my sorta-still-bad aseprite artwork. Also writing offensively long sentences that don't follow proper grammar conventions. But yeah.

I'm sticking this here since there's very little actually tangible 'game' to speak of yet, and I don't want people thinking I actually know what the heck I'm even doing.

So this is Realm of Gourd - REBIRTH...because that's how Korean mmo naming conventions work and I want to play with the cool kids.

You play as one of these goofy little dudes:

tumblr_pntkhvMoTG1s283cjo1_75sq.png

They can wear funny hats and beat the crap out of each-other with inanimate objects.

tumblr_inline_pntkh5jeai1rd3opr_540.png

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Every good mmo needs classes (not really). We have those! Four main job options:

tumblr_pntkhvMoTG1s283cjo2_400.png

Hero - A standard melee dude (cool scarf sold separately).

Trailblazer - Blazes trails (whatever that means), also ranged weaponry.

Treasure Hunter - Super edgy DOOAL WEIULD!!!1! boi (or grill).

Alchemist - Makes things explode (aka magic)

Alchemists manufacture their abilities by crafting spells out of runes

tumblr_inline_pntkabrTcv1rd3opr_540.png

WOW!!

I only have two actual significant portions of world actually mapped so far (but nothing is explicitly set in stone yet). Here they are.

Very Mandatory, Overly Patronizing, 100% Forced Tutorial Area:

tumblr_pntkhvMoTG1s283cjo10_1280.png

Starting Town Area Place:

tumblr_pnt5eqLISo1s283cjo1_1280.png

So basically, it's a game where you do stuff and things. There's not really a plot. Nobody pays attention to mmo plots anyway, lol.

Don't have anything else to add at the moment. Hopefully there will be at least one person on the planet that's looking forward to it when the game releases in 2085.

Just now, Xenogene said:

Looks like a good start. Only advice I can give is run with the whimsical tone, it fits it well.

It absolutely does. Keep running with it. I will be counting the days until 2085.

This looks great! Really loving the paperdolls.

My only criticism right now would be that the "Starting Town Area Place" is very square/angular (all houses are 'blocks' and paths are straight), with a lot of empty space: but that might be the aesthetic you're going for.

I'd love to release it sooner rather than later, but it took me two months just to put together what I have here. I'm just being realistic, lol.

I guess my new years resolution wasn't very realistic then...but it helps to keep me working, so I guess it's ok?

6 hours ago, Zoagel said:

but that might be the aesthetic you're going for

I don't know if I'd say that I'm shooting for a particular aesthetic, but it's something like that I guess. It's more like I just go with whatever makes me smile more at the moment? Beats me. The assets are intentionally simplistic though, otherwise you'd be waiting until 3085 instead.

idk have a thing.

Trying to get stuff done in-between irl work stuff, lol.

tumblr_po7oa7SXAR1s283cjo1_1280.png

Not done mapping yet, but most of the tiles are done at least...not sure what I'm doing with nessie there at the moment, I just typed random values in and stuck it in the map to show off. If you try to cheese it at range, it shoots 20 billion projectiles into your face until you regret all of your life decisions. It probably won't stay that way.

Also, there's a homeless guy camping out somewhere, but he didn't make it into the screenshot.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:39 PM, Dashplant said:

I actually played Kingdom of Loathing yesterday and this speaks to me in the same way as KoL does.

I used to play KoL a lot, so it probably influenced my sense of humor a lot. The primary inspiration for the game came from this stupid little game maker mmo-type-thing with stick figures that ultimately never went anywhere (as far as I'm aware) that I played for awhile when I was like 14. I thought it was neat and wanted to make something like it. But the concept has changed a lot since then, so...

Edited by Triangle
reply stuff, lol

3 minutes ago, Triangle said:

idk have a thing.

Trying to get stuff done in-between irl work stuff, lol.

tumblr_po7oa7SXAR1s283cjo1_1280.png

Not done mapping yet, but most of the tiles are done at least...not sure what I'm doing with nessie there at the moment, I just typed random values in and stuck it in the map to show off. If you try to cheese it at range, it shoots 20 billion projectiles into your face until you regret all of your life decisions. It probably won't stay that way.

Also, there's a homeless guy camping out somewhere, but he didn't make it into the screenshot.

Looks awesome. I like the layout of the sewers.

Paperdoll stuff:

tumblr_podcvpw0hY1s283cjo1_540.png

There's a couple other weapons that aren't interesting enough to show off on their own...

Full sewer map:

tumblr_poddc2vyBy1s283cjo1_1280.png

It might get some kind of higher-level expansion at a later date, but it's not worth thinking about at the moment.

I really need to make tiles for the building interiors, but just thinking about it makes me want to projectile vomit across the room. :13_upside_down:

Have some interiors:

tumblr_poijhihEaA1s283cjo1_1280.png

tumblr_poiuy3M71d1s283cjo1_1280.png

There's still detail missing, but...well, I'll do it eventually. Making lots of oddly specific tiles I'll probably only use once takes a lot out of me, but I think it's worth it.

I don't know why there's a soda machine in the bank. I just thought it would be fun to have one somewhere, lol.

Been busy with irl stuff (work, car, etc.) so I didn't get much done this week

have some random enemy sprites (all humanoid accessories are available to players as well though):

tumblr_potu2oS2IG1s283cjo1_400.png

and some inventory sprites I threw together:

tumblr_potu2oS2IG1s283cjo2_400.png

I have to do a bunch of stupid stuff for the next couple of weeks, so I dunno when you're getting more.

• 4 weeks later...

HELLO

HAVE SOME BEANS

tumblr_pqbqy40XDE1s283cjo1_540.png

THAT'S EIGHT BEANS FOR THE PRICE OF ZERO

WHO NEEDS GOBLINS OR ORCS WHEN YOU CAN HAVE BEANS

not every enemy in the game will be a bean ok??? calm down

working on about 100 billion maps now, dunno when those will be done

that covers like one biome, not counting interiors...

idk mapping takes forever, have a preview in the meantime:

tumblr_pqj6r3ZmV31s283cjo1_1280.pnj

...I was just like "wow I need dirt...BUCKET TOOL!!!"  I mean that's basically all I did with the water too, lol

I figure I can just make it look nicer later if I'm really feelin' it some other day...for now being lazy about it fits in better with my goal of having something playable by the end of the year.

tumblr_pquecl6EYp1s283cjo1_1280.png

I don't know yet if things like mining and woodcutting will have levels tied to them, but they probably won't because games like run escape make me want to die and I don't really want to balance an anti-grind. Right now it's just based on your tools and character level...

• 5 months later...

why is this still a thing

new beta means new gui means I have to screw with it obviously

I slapped this together quick just to figure it out, but I like it so it'll probably stay that way more or less

tumblr_pyu1htFMPR1s283cjo1_400.png

most of the inventory sprites are still random placeholders, lol

I put an extra box there because there was room, and I might want to add a luck stat or something when the source becomes available, might as well future-proof it right

(of course I might end up changing the stats completely so lol...)

Now that's a really friggin' lazy looking update considering how long it's been, so here's some bonuses

tumblr_pyu1o8GkG21s283cjo1_250.pngshe likes apples, ok???

tumblr_pyu1s3MVsO1s283cjo1_540.pngidk, random guns I made (but then there's slingshots?)

tumblr_pwc8dkyX8m1s283cjo1_1280.png

now you can get drunk...wait where did the bartender go?

Stuff not pictured: caves, other maps I never took screenshots of, some other random paperdoll and inventory sprites, a lot of random "hey the engine got updates lets find a way to forcibly use the new features for no reason" things, etc...

I'm pretty busy lately so it's slow going, but it is still going.