[2ME] 2D MMORPG Engine

Underglow

That depends what you consider client vs server data lol, as all clients get that data, I would consider it more of client data. However, I get not wanting to make the game easier to rip off. I assume you're encrypting the data being sent to the client, then.

Are you planning on using this or another method to translate the engine language, or will that be English only unless users translate the hardcoded text?

Server data being data the client doesn't need to know about, e.g game logic, as I've taken a server authoritive design (more on this later). Data sent to the client is minimal outside of authentication, so no encryption past user authentication is used.

Like every game, people could potentially rip your assets, as even when encrypted, they still need to be decrypted by the client. So the information exists client-side.

Languages for the actual tool itself is yet to be decided, as it's not in my focus currently.

So, you want to add language support to the game, but haven't decided if you want to add it for the users making the game? Doesn't seem like you've thought that all the way through... I would heavily suggest having engine/tool language support as I've seen many users/devs over the years ask for engines in Spanish, Russian, German, etc.. Deciding how to do it from the start will save time/effort over deciding to as an after thought.

It looks like you're using a .Net lang, so you are able to loop through all form controls and set their text via code, so an easy way would be to save and load those with a text file. I wouldn't worry about people ripping text from your engine, there's not much reason to use it, and if you go open source, it will be a moot point anyways.

It's not that I haven't decided or not to add them to the tool (poor wording on my part), it's that it isn't a priority & I haven't put thought into it yet. Thank you for your input though, I greatly appreciate it - your experience has brought this to my attention.

Oh, so make the gui file editable? That would work as well as long as the file is easily changed by end users (I haven't done that method because I didn't want everything editable)

If I'm still sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about then oh well I guess

Spread the education - keep it up :91_thumbsup:

I have transferred my plans to a "public" trello board for everyone to view. This will create some transparency.

The trello board will display what I'm currently working on in the form of "Stretches"; defined as: An itemised list of target features to be implemented.

There are 7 planned stretches as of this post. More will follow in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Implemented "regions" in the UI. Regions will allow you to define "actions" on specific entities when inside (entering, inside or leaving).

Also, toying with a new GUI (currently set to 'dark' theme).

a81c43b612e81a43249dec18a3cd0042.png

You can define the regions name and colour displayed in the UI.

00bddb922427ea91a2ce13e59ad5c1d1.png

4 hours ago, Underglow said:

Implemented "regions" in the UI. Regions will allow you to define "actions" on specific entities when inside (entering, inside or leaving).

Also, toying with a new GUI (currently set to 'dark' theme).

a81c43b612e81a43249dec18a3cd0042.png

You can define the regions name and colour displayed in the UI.

00bddb922427ea91a2ce13e59ad5c1d1.png

Could you give an example? Im having trouble understanding what you mean :)

@pLeetalmost, but not quite. You can do this with regions, but this is not their only purpose.

@Dashplant

Regions can have a number of points defined on a map. If you look at the first screenshot on my previous post, you will see two blue rectangles, these are two points that I defined for the region I called "TP". Once triggers have been implemented, you could

• Set a trigger to create an NPC within the specified region (or a random point within).
  • Perform a specific action on a player or NPC when they've entered or left a region. For an example, this could be used to flag PvP zones, or display text on the screen as @pLeetcommented.
  • Stop a player or NPC from passing into this region (such as, they require a key [for a door] to move through.
  • Move a player or NPC from region to region (walk-to, or teleport).

And many more possibilities. This feature was inspired by the Warcraft 3 Editor.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Always need more engines, the vast majority never get finished or they're programmed by 12 year olds and barely function! Looking forward to seeing where this goes. Just looked at the Trello though and that deadline you set is way behind us now. Hope that's not a sign this has been abandoned. :S

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

• Map Properties
    • To-do: Map Type - Grid / Pixel-Based / Platformer-Pixel-Based.
  • Preferences
    • Choose the light or dark theme & those preferences will be saved.
  • Object Editor: Graphical Reference
    • I know I haven't talked about objects yet, but I will explain them in great detail in the future. The "Graphical Reference" section in the "Object Editor" is where you define an objects graphical representation in the game. The graphical representation displayed is based on the objects state & direction (defined in the "States" resource editor). The graphical representation can either be of an "Animation" or "Image" graphic type.

2b60fe496c36ff91a98035d0260b8539.png

In this screenshot, I have chosen the "Animation" graphic type.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Devo said:

Is this project abandoned or still ongoing am in need of an engine that does not limit the players to tile-based movement only...

Probably no, but if the trello page is updated, it would take less time to just way for intersect's source release and change everything about mouvement to do that than work on this engine. 2ME could be really good one day, but for now it's pretty much empty.

20 minutes ago, Gibier said:

Probably no, but if the trello page is updated, it would take less time to just way for intersect's source release and change everything about mouvement to do that than work on this engine. 2ME could be really good one day, but for now it's pretty much empty.

do you know of any other engine that can provide the free movement where users are not limited to tile-based ?

1 minute ago, Devo said:

do you know of any other engine that can provide the free movement where users are not limited to tile-based ?

Please ask your question in the question & answer, this topic if specifically for 2ME engine.