Sprite Attacking

AccurateNoodle

Question

Hey guys, I noticed when attacking, it actually plays the first frame of the walking animation, how do I change or fix that so my character actually attacks lol. Thanks in advance

Edit: Ive looked some posts from awhile back and it wasnt fixable? 

10 answers to this question

If there was a one-size-fits-all solution to this we'd be all over it. As it stands everyone would want something like this done in a completely different way. Once the source is out adding in whatever conditions for players/npcs/paperdolls to show attacking/running/dying/idle/etc movements/animation frames will be possible at your discretion using the graphics format/structures you so desire.

You seem to have the right attitude. Sometimes, in working with a deliberately scaled-back system, you are going to have to get creative with your solutions. This is the essence of this program. You will be surprised by what you can accomplish once you find the solution to your problem, since the engine scales so phenomenally well once you have that singular solution.

The walking/attacking animation system as it stands is a good example of this. If you notice, you can make a character's transitional walking stance very much mimic an attack stance with a little creativity. Also, you can add an animation, for a satisfying hit feel. Add a paperdoll weapon, and there's nothing saying your playerchara isn't striking his foe. And guess what? It probably took you minimal effort to sort all of that out in a program as simple as MS Paint, and you can move on to designing the next element.

I encourage people working with Intersect to pay attention to these elements as they design their worlds. The constructs aren't so limiting if you stop thinking its limitations mean you won't be able to do something. Work with it rather than against it. Old RPGs are still satisfying to play for a reason. Best wishes!

3 hours ago, JayNumba1 said:

Alright lol, in the meantime whos gonna wanna play a game where your character walks instead of attacking ?? rip

If this is your main problem with the engine you have a long way to walk before releasing a good game.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:42 PM, EVOLV said:

You seem to have the right attitude. Sometimes, in working with a deliberately scaled-back system, you are going to have to get creative with your solutions. This is the essence of this program. You will be surprised by what you can accomplish once you find the solution to your problem, since the engine scales so phenomenally well once you have that singular solution.

The walking/attacking animation system as it stands is a good example of this. If you notice, you can make a character's transitional walking stance very much mimic an attack stance with a little creativity. Also, you can add an animation, for a satisfying hit feel. Add a paperdoll weapon, and there's nothing saying your playerchara isn't striking his foe. And guess what? It probably took you minimal effort to sort all of that out in a program as simple as MS Paint, and you can move on to designing the next element.

I encourage people working with Intersect to pay attention to these elements as they design their worlds. The constructs aren't so limiting if you stop thinking its limitations mean you won't be able to do something. Work with it rather than against it. Old RPGs are still satisfying to play for a reason. Best wishes!

dude, dont do this. Its ok to say the devs still didnt implement that (or that they'll never do). If its only possible via scripts, then we'll gladly wait for the source codes, but dont give us this "creativity" talk like its all on us. You're losing credibility and trust

ps: this engine is awesome. It has its drawbacks since its still fresh, but still one of the best so far

33 minutes ago, Guds said:

dude, dont do this. Its ok to say the devs still didnt implement that (or that they'll never do). If its only possible via scripts, then we'll gladly wait for the source codes, but dont give us this "creativity" talk like its all on us. You're losing credibility and trust

ps: this engine is awesome. It has its drawbacks since its still fresh, but still one of the best so far

I think we have a misunderstanding. It's not "all on you" and there indeed exists a possibility that this will be something that can be worked around in the future. But while you're waiting, why not make the most of what the engine offers right now? And how many times can you stand to hear, "it'll come later" when there is a viable solution to the issue right now? Intersect as it stands is really quite robust and I think you mistake my opinion as an attack against OP, which it most certainly was not meant to be.

EDIT: I also want to make clear that I am not an employee of, or part of the Intersect Dev team. I am a fan who has used the engine to build my game. Any credibility I am losing for my advice is that of one indy game designer, therefore, and not Intersect/Ascension Game Dev.

2 hours ago, Guds said:

I do have to disagree with this unfortunately. Creative problem solving is a large part of Indie game development. Game Development IS all on the developer. To think or state otherwise is indication of amateur habits/attitudes.

1 hour ago, SkywardRiver said:

I do have to disagree with this unfortunately. Creative problem solving is a large part of Indie game development. Game Development IS all on the developer. To think or state otherwise is indication of amateur habits/attitudes.

Regardless this is besides the point as adding these features are currently out of the question. Everyone can rediscuss the best ways to tackle actually doing this once the source is out. In the meantime make do with what's there....

Edit: Topic Locked