Moving Character Name

Aker

Question

First I would like to start by saying that I am not 100% sure if this is where I should be posting this request if not please let me know where I should be posting guide requests.

The issue that I am facing is the floating character name. The character that I am using is a bit on the smaller side of the float ends up being too high above my characters head. 

The question that I have is how do I adjust the height of this or is there a way to remove it until someone hovers their mouse over the character?

17 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Aker said:

First I would like to start by saying that I am not 100% sure if this is where I should be posting this request if not please let me know where I should be posting guide requests.

The issue that I am facing is the floating character name. The character that I am using is a bit on the smaller side of the float ends up being too high above my characters head. 

The question that I have is how do I adjust the height of this or is there a way to remove it until someone hovers their mouse over the character?

Just make the sheet that your sprites are on smaller

11 minutes ago, Giligis said:

Give us your spritesheet, if you don't mind. 

Spoiler

5a8315e7be1df_default(1).png.75e062a6cee23f086f9aeec3a140c142.png

Edit: I was able to resize and while the character did move farther up to the name icon it is still rather high and when I tried to resize the sheet further the character directional images became different sizes (meaning facing down became larger than facing up and etc.)

You will notice that in the spoiler not only is the name logo slightly too high but it is also positioned slightly too far left. I have even attempted to play around with resizing but it just seems too mess the images up even after moving the images around on the sheet =\

Spoiler

test.png

1 minute ago, Giligis said:

That is quite odd, I see what you mean. Its extremely odd to me because your spritesheet is already about as small as it can get. 

I am thinking that it has something to do with the size of the sprite itself and yes any smaller and things start to get funky lol. Do you know of any way to possibly remove that floating icon? or is there a way to fix it to where it just appears when the character is moused over?

1 hour ago, jcsnider said:

No, but I might be taking a closer look into the logic later today :)

@jcsnider If the sprite is a different height between different directions and the sheet needs extra padding logic won't matter. The name either needs to be displayed beneath the player, or the padding needs to be dealt with. The only other solution is lowering it per frame by scanning the number of transparent pixel rows in the sprite frame, which is extraordinarily inefficient.

Here is a few suggestions I have for the floating name icon;

1. Remove the black bg and make it transparent.

1a. Makes the icon look more professional and cleaner.

2. Remove it as a static icon and make it a mouse over icon or an on attack icon just like the hp bar.

2a.  Cleans up the map and makes the game itself look more professional.

3. Give designers the ability to change the color and size of the icon

2a. Gives us the ability to let players know, judging by the color or size of the icon, if the mob is a boss, elite, and etc.

I am sure others can add onto this but I was in a hurry so I just through together a few suggestions off the top of my head.

51 minutes ago, Aker said:

Here is a few suggestions I have for the floating name icon;

1. Remove the black bg and make it transparent.

1a. Makes the icon look more professional and cleaner.

2. Remove it as a static icon and make it a mouse over icon or an on attack icon just like the hp bar.

2a.  Cleans up the map and makes the game itself look more professional.

3. Give designers the ability to change the color and size of the icon

2a. Gives us the ability to let players know, judging by the color or size of the icon, if the mob is a boss, elite, and etc.

I am sure others can add onto this but I was in a hurry so I just through together a few suggestions off the top of my head.

The background is specifically there for readability. It might look cleaner to you, but there's nothing worse than illegible text in a game that you're supposed to read.

Many professional games have names visible all the time, it doesn't make it look any less professional. Textual cues like labels are present for a reason.

Server/Resources/Colors.xml

<EventName>argb(255,255,255,255)</EventName>
  <EventNameBorder>argb(255,0,0,0)</EventNameBorder>
  <EventNameBackground>argb(180,0,0,0)</EventNameBackground>
  <AgressiveNpcName>argb(255,255,40,0)</AgressiveNpcName>
  <AgressiveNpcNameBorder>argb(255,0,0,0)</AgressiveNpcNameBorder>
  <AgressiveNpcNameBackground>argb(180,0,0,0)</AgressiveNpcNameBackground>
  <AttackWhenAttackedName>argb(255,255,255,255)</AttackWhenAttackedName>
  <AttackWhenAttackedNameBorder>argb(255,0,0,0)</AttackWhenAttackedNameBorder>
  <AttackWhenAttackedNameBackground>argb(180,0,0,0)</AttackWhenAttackedNameBackground>
  <AttackOnSightName>argb(255,255,200,0)</AttackOnSightName>
  <AttackOnSightNameBorder>argb(255,0,0,0)</AttackOnSightNameBorder>
  <AttackOnSightNameBackground>argb(180,0,0,0)</AttackOnSightNameBackground>
  <NeutralName>argb(255,100,230,100)</NeutralName>
  <NeutralNameBorder>argb(255,0,0,0)</NeutralNameBorder>
  <NeutralNameBackground>argb(180,0,0,0)</NeutralNameBackground>
  <GuardName>argb(255,240,142,105)</GuardName>
  <GuardNameBorder>argb(255,0,0,0)</GuardNameBorder>
  <GuardNameBackground>argb(180,0,0,0)</GuardNameBackground>
  <PlayerNameNormal>argb(255,255,255,255)</PlayerNameNormal>
  <PlayerNameNormalBorder>argb(255,0,0,0)</PlayerNameNormalBorder>
  <PlayerNameNormalBackground>argb(180,0,0,0)</PlayerNameNormalBackground>
  <PlayerNameMod>argb(255,0,255,255)</PlayerNameMod>
  <PlayerNameModBorder>argb(255,0,0,0)</PlayerNameModBorder>
  <PlayerNameModBackground>argb(180,0,0,0)</PlayerNameModBackground>
  <PlayerNameAdmin>argb(255,255,255,0)</PlayerNameAdmin>
  <PlayerNameAdminBorder>argb(255,0,0,0)</PlayerNameAdminBorder>
  <PlayerNameAdminBackground>argb(180,0,0,0)</PlayerNameAdminBackground>

Needless to say, set the alpha to 0 on the background/borders and only the names will be visible if that's really what you want. We added the black background for readability.  Lots of customization here, more customization will be available once the source code has been released.

After removing the background the floating icon doesn't appear as large or off centered, though it does still appear to be too far up I can live with this until something is done with our ability to adjust the position of the icon. 

I have provided a picture of what the icon looks like without the background but still with the outline.

Spoiler

Untitled.png.d666d21aa091b134efe7d7bdd1fa7129.png