Cast Animation (?)

emptyaccount

Question

11 answers to this question

I don't know if this got fix and I'm doing something wrong but I'm still having the same problem :(

The purple dot should be UP just like the Right animation. I guess it would be something like a mirror effect? 

If this is not possible, It's okay, I understand :23_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

a32215f1128bca0cb8fdd7c2d7045dff.gif

42 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Right now it's rotating and not mirroring.... so assuming I switch to mirroring is there any reason why we might want rotations? It doesn't really matter to me.. im just wondering if we need to change the logic or add more options completely....

I think there are reasons to keep the rotation method. I'm not against the possibility to add mirroring(actually, it would be a great add on in my opinion), but we need rotation(for example, when working with projectiles, if we draw them from up to down, we need the rotation if we shoot them to the right or to the left[mirroring will only serve when shooting it to down]).

So here is how it currently works... if you have an uneven animation (not symmetrical)

d234cbaba5d1b8ca25887debbb914672.png

I like this because the extra stuff is always on the left side of the tip of the arrow.

Roy is asking for something like this:

4596077b601cf305deefdfdf113f0f0f.png

So that if you fire the arrow left and right the dot is always on top...   this is easily achievable.. but should this be standard?

Furthermore.. in that case...  how should it work for top and bottom? Should the extra stuff (the dot) be on the left or right of the arrow? Why?

3f033f4f5285dba045c5172fba1184e6.png

If we come to a consensus of what options /most/ people would like we'll implement it.  Ready, set, discuss! :P 

5 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

So here is how it currently works... if you have an uneven animation (not symmetrical)

I like this because the extra stuff is always on the left side of the tip of the arrow.

So that if you fire the arrow left and right the dot is always on top...   this is easily achievable.. but should this be standard?

Furthermore.. in that case...  how should it work for top and bottom? Should the extra stuff (the dot) be on the left or right of the arrow? Why?

If we come to a consensus of what options /most/ people would like we'll implement it.  Ready, set, discuss! :P 

3 options:

Rotation
Flip
Custom

Custom will require an additional byte to store 8 flags, 2 for each direction. First bit is to not rotate (so if the default is up/^ and you set this flag, then left will be ^ too), second is to flip perpendicular to the directional axis (so up would flip left-to-right, left would flip top-to-bottom, etc.).

30 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Ooooh I don't know about that :62_dizzy_face: I was just asking for that since It looks weird when making a projectile for a platformer/sidescroller :70_poop: 

Why don't we just add an animation based on direction? (Maybe as an extra option)

So in the spell editor you can choose which animation it will play if you are looking up, down, left or right

I know it's extra work to set up, but if we add it as an option, it will only be extra work for the people who are already willing to put in the extra work. 

So I would say that for an animation you can set:

Rotate, flip, static

And in the spell editor you can set animations for up, down, left, right. (Maybe with a checkbox next to the different directions, and when the checkbox is empty, the direction is greyed out and it will automatically use the animation for 'up'.

Also, it would be perfect for spells that look weird when rotated. Like in here:

Especially the flying dragon spell would need a different animation for the up and down directions to look good! (I know this is an example for my own project, but Im SURE that other people will run into the same problem)

That's something that would be perfect IMO, of course I dont know how hard it is, and what others think. Maybe there are also better options, Im open for discussion! ;)

6 hours ago, Kasplant said:

Why don't we just add an animation based on direction? (Maybe as an extra option)

So in the spell editor you can choose which animation it will play if you are looking up, down, left or right

I know it's extra work to set up, but if we add it as an option, it will only be extra work for the people who are already willing to put in the extra work. 

So I would say that for an animation you can set:

Rotate, flip, static

And in the spell editor you can set animations for up, down, left, right. (Maybe with a checkbox next to the different directions, and when the checkbox is empty, the direction is greyed out and it will automatically use the animation for 'up'.

Also, it would be perfect for spells that look weird when rotated. Like in here:

Especially the flying dragon spell would need a different animation for the up and down directions to look good! (I know this is an example for my own project, but Im SURE that other people will run into the same problem)

That's something that would be perfect IMO, of course I dont know how hard it is, and what others think. Maybe there are also better options, Im open for discussion! ;)

Couldn't agree more, tbh I was thinking about it Yesterday, directional animations is the way to go.