Kanto Online (Beta)

Extin

Kanto Online (BETA)

Introduction:

Hey guys, I'm Extin. I've been with both the Eclipse and XtremeWorlds community for a little over 10 years now, and have seen both (more so Eclipse) grow immensely. So I saw X-Isle on here and I remember playing a little bit of it back when it was online the second time at XtremeWorlds, as well as played tons of other XtremeWorlds games. I've also had a few projects in the community as well. This was one of them, about 6 years ago. It had lots of positive review and in it's time, had more people online on a regular basis than any other game in the community, despite being incomplete. It's doesn't have any huge change in how you complete it compared to the original, aside from the obvious one, being combat. I've decided I'm gonna bring it back and put it on here and see what kind of attention it gets, and if people like the game enough then I'll see it to completion!

Features:

1. Choose your starter!
  2. Level up and learn moves that your Pokemon would normally learn!
  3. Evolve yourself at the proper levels, and using the proper methods!
  4. Help your weariness by resting at a Pokemon Center, or help prevent it by purchasing items at a PokeMart!
  5. Challenge Gyms to get badges to earn your way in to the Pokemon League!
  6. Get HMs to help you navigate the world!
  7. Challenge your friends in Bill's personal Pokemon Stadium!

Game Completion:

As I mentioned before, the game is not complete. In fact, I only got around to finishing three gyms at the point the back up data I had was saved (I had up to the 4th gym in it's prime), but there's still at least 2 or 3 hours of game play in here I'd say! I've got everything up to the third gym, as well as Diglett's Cave finished.

Screenshots:

Download:
          So if you guys are interested in playing it, I have a server up right now and the download for the game is here! http://www.mediafire.com/file/77s7ntesgmzx5h9/Kanto+Online.rar

4 minutes ago, greenrangermatt said:

Definitely gonna try it out, but I don't know how I feel about the use of Hoenn graphics to recreate Kanto.

I won't lie, it doesn't look the prettiest. You can see that from the screenshots. I don't have a proper tileset because XW using a ridiculous system for tiles and sprites.

Just downloaded and played this for a few minutes. I'd suggest moving to a more modern engine (not too sure why people use xtreme worlds and eclipse when Orion+ and Intersect exist) and the maps pathways need to edge tiles rather than the same tile making the pathways look really blocky.

Just now, Kibbelz said:

Just downloaded and played this for a few minutes. I'd suggest moving to a more modern engine (not too sure why people use xtreme worlds and eclipse when Orion+ and Intersect exist) and the maps pathways need to edge tiles rather than the same tile making the pathways look really blocky.

Yeah I know I really should but this was from a looong time ago, and I just decided to see how it went on here. I might move it to a new engine but I don't have a software for VB6 therefore no motivation to learn more, and I'd have to see if this is even a project worth continuing in people's eyes as well

Not to mention XW isn't open source and never will be, and if you were to move from it to a new engine it ought to be Orion or Intersect.

Orion is VB.NET (and open-source) and Intersect is C# (and will be open-source when it reaches its full release, I think somewhere in the next 6 months to give a conservative estimate).

Both languages use Visual Studio as their primary IDE, and I recommend using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition for the time being (since Visual Studio 2017 hasn't been fully released as far as I am aware). You can download both of these from Microsoft's website and for free.

I don't recommend switching engines. It's a very daunting task especially when you don't know if you are going to continue the project or not. Unless you foresee technical limitations of your current engine dragging you down this might be best of staying where it is.

Hey guys server went down last night I guess for some reason but it's back up now! Also on this conversation, I want to continue it I just need to see that people will play it before I do, make sure it's worth continuing right?

1 minute ago, Kibbelz said:

Thing is the maps and content just need work. Its very undetailed. If the content was better for sure I'd use this.

That's the kinda thing I wanted to hear, if you've used XW you know that it has a very difficult graphics system. With Orion I was able to (seemingly) make all my characters and tiles work out perfectly, just can't get the client to work.

Guest SherwiN
13 hours ago, Zetasis said:

Well considering Orion is programmed in visual studios, which is free, and intersect is coded in C#(?) there would be no need for VB6. 

3 hours ago, Damian666 said:

meh, tbh jc, I switched from vb6 to orion easily actually...

that's one of the very few upsides that orion is basicly coded the same way xD

13 hours ago, SPQR Panda said:

Not to mention XW isn't open source and never will be, and if you were to move from it to a new engine it ought to be Orion or Intersect.

Orion is VB.NET (and open-source) and Intersect is C# (and will be open-source when it reaches its full release, I think somewhere in the next 6 months to give a conservative estimate).

Both languages use Visual Studio as their primary IDE, and I recommend using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition for the time being (since Visual Studio 2017 hasn't been fully released as far as I am aware). You can download both of these from Microsoft's website and for free.

This is a Project Show off post, not a "Suggest a good engine for me to use", "What language should I use" post, You guys should stick with the subject rather than forcing someone to switch engine use and give them more work. but in the end that engine will no longer be supported and creating a new branch of engine with different features, asking them again to switch there and give them another work.