Concept "Why should you play my game?"

Weylon Santana

Hello, my name is @Weylon Santana and I work on my Heroes Apocalypse project.

Heroes Apocalypse consists of an MMO 2D RPG created in the Intersect Engine and blah blah blah, all the shit that a lot of you must have read, according to the AGD page had 550 views.
The question is not this, the question is

"Why should you play my game?"

"What have in my game innovative and different than other games do not have?"

First think about the category of your game, mine is MMO RPG 2D, I would then have to play some MMO RPG 2D to be able to compare my ideas with what there is currently there, we could also say that there are subcategories like RPG 2D Top View, Open World, 2D Medieval RPG and so on. What would put us in a kind of competition with another game, realize that when we are creating a game and posting content in our topics, someone will compare our game with another game that already exists or existed, this is normal, as I know a lot of you have your games inspired by some other game, maybe you have played an incredible game and would have imagined what it would be like if it were done by you (which explains so many games of Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z), but why the hell do I have to play your game? Why the hell do you have to play my game?

Heroes Apocalypse has in its planning a lot of content to try in many ways to affect you, believe me, I will try to do my best to destroy your psychological, I will bring questions about religion, of course, the religion of the game that includes Thirteen Gods, but will have a reality as the critical attitudes that people make in the name of religion. There is also the possibility of choices in the game, simple things like letting the person you love most die, or leaving children that once you helped die, who would you save? Yes, I will bring choices within the game that will affect the player, if you betray the King, believe me, you will never enter his castle again while the game is online.

So far I have only seen in 2D Offline RPG, which does not fit my category, so it is not my competitor.

Heroes Apocalypse will bring a war system, imagine you at the center of a war: NPC vs NPC, Player vs NPC, Player vs Player, and the country that wins will have numerous benefits like shops with cheaper prices, or the like, as well the country that loses will have punishments very difficult the life of the class that is born there. But this is in the distant future.

Some of you prepare a closed beta, then open beta, then alpha closed and then open alpha and then release. I'll use a different system. Heroes Apocalypse is about Seasons. The First Season will have two classes and basic things, Season Two will have more missions and unlocked places and such, Season Three will have a new class, and so on. Always will be releases. I can only be crazy right? Tests are needed, as well as bugs need to be fixed, and will be with every change of season.

Talking about the engine, the Intersect Engine itself puts some "cons" in our projects, like the static walk (up, down, left, right), there is no death animation, attack, archery, We can not add more slots in the character, or create systems that we want, not without at least making a connection of events and switches without size defined, taking the quality of what we expected from our game and among many other things. It sucks, right? But this is no task for @jcsnider, @Kibbelz or @panda. They are doing their best to give us a base, not to make an engine like you want, give up the idea of guilds or housings, there are millions of requests here? Yes, but it's not their job, it's yours, this is what will also give the special touch to every game made with the intersect, do it yourself or urinate money in someone's pocket to do for you, no more apologies in the engine why does not that still answer "why the hell am I (as a player) supposed to play your game?

Your ideas do not answer that question, at least not all ideas, there are millions of games guys, millions, what are we going to give the different player? We have to think outside the box, have our own ideas or adapt ideas that exist our way to make it look new. Search what our competitors do not give and what we can give.

In Heroes Apocalypse, I'll try to break the fourth wall, where you'll have to solve mysteries from inside the game, out of the game, on websites, images, places and so on, enough to solve normal mysteries like scooby and let's move on to the world real, is not just a game, this is one of my ideas that sets a simple MMO 2D RPG from my MMO 2D RPG. Is this all coming now? Of course! (not), will come in the future, God knows which season will come, but it will come. I try hard to think outside the box, I do not want it to be just a project, I want it to be "The Project" if not for you, than for many other people. I stopped doing it all for 3 days just because I found myself thinking about it, and now I've been able to respond.

Have you looked at the AGD Inactive Projects session? You should be scared, so many ideas died there, people who gave up, have you ever wondered if your project will stop there? I hope this serves as a motivation, think the word "motivation", "Motive for your action", stop programming for a moment in any engine you are doing your project now and answer me here below:

"Why should we play your game?"

If I were to talk about everything I planned for "Heroes Apocalypse" that I can only create with the functions of the currently Intersect, personal, it results in 15 Word Sheets of pure writing and few tables, when the intersect source comes out, and God knows when it will leave, we can do much more with the Intersect. I want to make it clear that this topic is not about my project, but it is about all projects, this is a question for everyone, and for many times, not elaborating a good answer to this question or not thinking about that question yours game failure, I've done a lot in my project in the last few days, although I do not post anything here in AGD, I woke up early many days to mapping or plan, I ask for help when I need it, I search other projects to see what I can give of novelty, ways to get help for my project, I have studied, read tons of files, I have opened my mind to the new and try give to people a concrete reason why they should believe me. And I advise you to do the same, do not disregard your project, take it seriously as if your life depended on it and try in the meantime to have as much fun as you can. know that no engine, no graphics, no excuse answers:

"Why should we play your game?"

What I mean is, innovate, that's one of the main reasons why people seek to venture into games. Get new ideas, put them into practice, persist and show everyone why they should play your game.

This is my "Because ..."

Edited by Weylon Santana

I think your post is great. I really like the choices-have-impact system and how you will let player actions manipulate the world. It will be exciting to see how extendable Intersects source will be. It is like you said an amazing base to develop a ORPG on and I think they really are meeting their goal of letting users develop great games without touching the source. Creating a game is a massive undertaking and everyone should remember you have to take it one step at a time! Approach it like you would any other life goal. Achievement doesn't happen without the discipline.

Keep writing, good stuff!

5 minutes ago, Aon Reo said:

I think your post is great. I really like the choices-have-impact system and how you will let player actions manipulate the world. It will be exciting to see how extendable Intersects source will be. It is like you said an amazing base to develop a ORPG on and I think they really are meeting their goal of letting users develop great games without touching the source. Creating a game is a massive undertaking and everyone should remember you have to take it one step at a time! Approach it like you would any other life goal. Achievement doesn't happen without the discipline.

Keep writing, good stuff!

I have to do my best. My goal with this text was to motivate people to try to create the new one in their games, and not to copy ideas from other places, people need reasons to play a simple ORPG 2d than a great 3d online game of which it usually plays. We need to arouse people's interest in this world.

Most people do not understand how large scale of a project creating a game is. They eventually realize how much work they have to do and get discouraged. They then pick a random flaw or shortcoming in the engine and use that as a reason to pause development or quit their projects entirely.

Engine flaws are temporary, and get fixed in our updates. If you halt development between updates because there is a bug in the class editor then you've lost a lot of time you could have spent mapping, creating events, items, quests, etc.  Hard engine limitations will soon become soft -- the source code will be out and people can use code to extend functionality and add features that we won't add. Still, most will keep finding reasons to wait for extra features, and keep jumping back and forth between engines trying to find the "perfect" unobtainable fit instead of spending time on game content.

In my experience, the best games to come out of communities like there are from developers who can use the same tools that everyone else has to create something that's still unique, engaging, and fun. Games like Arcwyre, Nightmare, Nimue, and The Wheel are prime examples of the point I'm trying to make, their devs have access to the same exact tools everyone else does yet their games look a lot better than the majority posted around here. Features are important but if you have a shitty design concept or nothing special to make your game stand out from other games then you're game likely won't succeed.

I think everyone should follow in @Weylon Santana's footsteps and put some thought into their projects in order to determine determine what's going to make your game stand out above the rest. If you can't make a decent list of unique ideas/concepts before getting into lists of new features then you're going to be in trouble.

10 hours ago, jcsnider said:

In my experience, the best games to come out of communities like there are from developers who can use the same tools that everyone else has to create something that's still unique, engaging, and fun. Games like Arcwyre, Nightmare, Nimue, and The Wheel are prime examples of the point I'm trying to make, their devs have access to the same exact tools everyone else does yet their games look a lot better than the majority posted around here. Features are important but if you have a shitty design concept or nothing special to make your game stand out from other games then you're game likely won't succeed.

Totally not shamelessly advertising but Nightmare's pre-alpha will be released this friday at 6pm GMT.

Pretty much agreeing with @jcsnider and @Weylon Santana are saying here, developing a game is hard and takes time. A lot of time. If you look at the date of when @Murdoc created the topic for nightmare it dates back to august 2016. I can confirm Nightmare was started a lot longer before even that (unsure exactly). Either way it takes time and commitment and I'm really proud we're at the point where we are. Nightmare doesn't have any fancy pet, guild, mount or housing system (at least not yet since source is closed for us too even though I am a dev of Intersect).

What truly separates these projects (Arcwyre, Nightmare, Nimue and The Wheel etc) from the rest is the raw content of the game is so vast and at a higher quality than the rest of the games I see posted on AGD. They don't take breaks because "the class editor isn't working and I cannot do anything else until its working again" or because source is unavailable. These are the projects that will get success and the developers deserve all the success they get.

My two cents anyway.