NPC trigger event

Worldofjimmy

Question

Hello,

I would like to request a source modification.

Like the title says: Npc trigger event

With this modification NPCs will be able for example summon other NPCs with spells.

For example: Necromancer would be able to summon skeletons, ghouls and other npcs.

Inspiration: 

9 answers to this question

23 hours ago, Joyce said:

This sounds like it *could* work for global events, but non-global ones would never work.

How do you mean :)? 

I made a common event which is when run summons an NPC for example Skeleton.

I assigned the common event to a spell.

When a player used the spell it works as intended but not when an NPC use the spell same spell (NPC just casts the spells until out of mana).

i looking for this too. take an example. you summon a npc (with a campfire sprite) so when you talk (action buttom) open a craft station (for cook) events tiles dont let you open events in any place. other example you can summon fortifications tiles, chess that open bank hidden in the forest, and etc of possibilities

By design Events are tied and owned by Players.

Npcs cannot trigger events. I realize this is a source request topic, but the amount of logic involved to get this working, plus the performance impacts of having npcs running events all over the world make this unviable.

What about getting more specific and just asking for a 'Summon' spell type that players and npcs could both use?

3 hours ago, lobo said:

i looking for this too. take an example. you summon a npc (with a campfire sprite) so when you talk (action buttom) open a craft station (for cook) events tiles dont let you open events in any place. other example you can summon fortifications tiles, chess that open bank hidden in the forest, and etc of possibilities

Many ways this can be done without doing a source edit, here are 2 examples:

1. Have an item trigger the event "Campfire Kit" so when used it opens the crafting station and a animation of the campfire with multiple loops simulate the fire spawns in front of character.
  2. Have an item event that spawns an NPC for a timed period, and have it so the NPC is a campfire. Now have it so when the NPC campfire is clicked (actioned) it opens up crafting table.

Seriously the event system is powerful... just use your imagination to try different things.

29 minutes ago, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

Many ways this can be done without doing a source edit, here are 2 examples:

1. Have an item trigger the event "Campfire Kit" so when used it opens the crafting station and a animation of the campfire with multiple loops simulate the fire spawns in front of character.
  2. Have an item event that spawns an NPC for a timed period, and have it so the NPC is a campfire. Now have it so when the NPC campfire is clicked (actioned) it opens up crafting table.

Seriously the event system is powerful... just use your imagination to try different things.

i will try this, sure event sistem is a creative way to do everything. the problem is (2) you dont have a way to interact with an npc to action a craft table

23 hours ago, jcsnider said:

By design Events are tied and owned by Players.

Npcs cannot trigger events. I realize this is a source request topic, but the amount of logic involved to get this working, plus the performance impacts of having npcs running events all over the world make this unviable.

What about getting more specific and just asking for a 'Summon' spell type that players and npcs could both use?

Shall I make a new source request for that specific request?