Intersect on Linux

Weylon Santana

Question

@jcsnider or @panda please help.

I as a teacher started working in a school, I will be a game creation teacher and logically I will use the Intersect. I do not think you could imagine that :3_grin: haha. But the intersect can be a good tool for education as well.

The point is that all computers use linux and I know absolutely nothing about linux, so I wanted a little follow-up of you guys before classes started. I do not know how to look at specifications, or anything. I'm having problems even running the server, why not open it, blinks on the screen but closes before opening. There is no anti virus here according to the responsible technician. So could someone accompany me only until I run the client, editor and server without problems?

Would greatly appreciate it. <3

17 answers to this question

50 minutes ago, Weylon Santana said:

I will try to convince the school to switch to windows 7, even they hate linux, but according to the technician if you change it gives a problem in the computer and it does not work, something like that. I'll try to see what I can do to change the school's operating systems.

And there's your best answer :P 

There's a bit of a problem here straight away, the editor doesn't work on Linux.

But for the sake of completion: for the Client and Server, you'll have to install mono and run them through mono. (e.g. for ubunto/debian: sudo apt-get install mono-devel, then once it's installed mono ./server.exe or mono ./client.exe from their respective directories.)

11 minutes ago, panda said:

You've provided no useful information here at all that would aid us in helping you.

Some helpful information would include:

• What distro you are using
  • How you launched the server
  • Logs, if any were generated

Another good idea is to search through the Linux-related threads in the Answered Questions forum.

How can I look at the distro? Apparently to open the programs if you use a "wine", I do not see another way to open an exe here.

3 minutes ago, Joyce said:

There's a bit of a problem here straight away, the editor doesn't work on Linux.

But for the sake of completion: for the Client and Server, you'll have to install mono and run them through mono. (e.g. for ubunto/debian: sudo apt-get install mono-devel, then once it's installed mono ./server.exe or mono ./client.exe from their respective directories.)

is there any way to run the editor in linux?

where and how can I download and install mono on these computers?

A ''distro'' is a distribution, there's like a couple thousand variations of Linux. (Though a few common ones are Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Linux Mint and the like) It's basically like your windows version, but.. er.. different?

And I suppose you could try to run the editor through Wine yes, not entirely sure how well that would work though.

Unless you have admin rights (ie root) you can't install mono. If you genuinely intend to do this, talk it over with the sysadmins and just give them the following information:

• Client & Server require the mono-devel package and have to be run with mono.
  • Editor is not officially supported on anything but Windows, but may work with Wine providing you find the right combination of libraries to install. (ie .Net versions and DirectX runtimes)
  •  

It's probably easier having them install things and determine whether or not they want this on their systems than risking the wrath of a thousand sysadmins on your ass for installing random guff on their machines.

Just now, Joyce said:

Can't say for sure, but those are the first that come up in my mind.

I've never tried to run the Editor in Wine, it may work.. it may not work. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

Considering it's not officially supported you're kind of on your own there.

I just tried to use wine and it does not open anything. appears "opening ..." and disappears.

Im on the school now.

1 hour ago, PhenomenalDev said:

Judging by the sounds of it opting for a different engine is a better approach since linux machines are all you can access, what level of students is this for?

I know a lot intersect.. i have a project too.. will be better in my idea that i use in this school too.. because they can work in project here too when they get a lot exp.

4 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Virtual machines run on your computers and would require an expensive windows license for each instance. 

I will try to convince the school to switch to windows 7, even they hate linux, but according to the technician if you change it gives a problem in the computer and it does not work, something like that. I'll try to see what I can do to change the school's operating systems.