Single+LAN Version

Dr.House

Question

11 answers to this question

My thought process on doing it would be a client and server merge running all server code on separate threads, removing all data transfer code and all packet sender methods, just call the packet handlers passing in the packet, hence skipping the TCP. I could just re-direct directly to the handler methods passing in the data as parameters to be more efficient and clean. I doubt I would use method 2 since it would be boring to re-write each handler one by one for barely any efficiency bonus'.

i'm open to debate but that's how I personally would do it, @jcsnider will probably find a better solution or someone with more patience who hasn't been working on Intersect for nearly 2 years now :P

If I were to do it, I would merge the client and server code, run them side by side. Strip the networking code and just have packets handled by calling some type of bridge function. Then you could just hide the shoutbox and make a dummy account/character on the server so you could just have new game/continue on the main menu.

Problem is, I cannot justify doing that work anytime soon. RPG Maker has the single player rpg maker field on lock and they do it well.

Well, I myself was thinking about this the other day. It would be a pain to maintain whilst still updating the core engine, however i think it would be a nice addition. I can easily think of a way to "stitch" the two applications into one. Would have to be on the "way off list" for the development team unless someone else beats us to it!

Intersect to RPG Maker would be silly, since RPG Maker can do much more than Intersect can atm for single player games.

The reason behind my question is simple, I've never seen many "orpg maker" games to make money in order to pay for the server, but I've seen many to fail because they had no reason to keep their server up, just like this community, maybe without the donations and low population, JC would take it down.

It would be interesting to see a LAN or Multiplayer mode, using something like Tunngle to connect to eachother or if you know what to do, then portforward yourself, and be able to trade and whatever, something like Torchlight, Grim Dawn, etc.

Instead keeping the server up, and paying it just for 2~3 players to play ur game.

@Dr.House Makes sense but I don't see the biggest differences in them apart from some stats and how they handle paperdolls would require using yanfly's plugins also I'm pretty sure netplay would work? @jcsnider In Appdata as a simple xml file logging everything, openable with nothing more than notepad same with the project files for maps and stuff and the raw game file.