Intersect Game Engine Review After 4 Months

Julian

On 5/14/2020 at 1:20 AM, Shilo said:

Unity Engine is a great choice to pick up programming and general game development. I use the engine regularly. Plus C# is a very enjoyable and well rounded language and learning Unity development will help you to work with Intersect Engine in the future. :) There is also a couple good 2D MMORPG assets for unity (such as uMMORPG 2D). Alternatively, Javascript is also one of my favorite languages because its very easy to use and widely used in tons of platforms.

Unfortunately from my experience after everything ive used, whether is old VB6 ORPG engines, Unity MMORPG assets, Unity network assets, RPG Maker MV plugins, EOSERV, networking from scratch via web or game engines (you name it ive either tried or researched it). My experience has taught me that I require particular knowledge and skill-sets that I dont entirely have yet and I always end up back with waiting for Intersect Engine to mature enough. Now I just need time to dive back into it. :)

I wish you the best of luck on your project! It's so exciting to learn new things such as Unity Engine.

Unity, I am very familiar with. I use the Javascript API...Again, please do not assume that I am not a programmer. I can also program in LUA scripting and Unreal Visual Programming frameworks. Again, I am coming from a very long career as a programmer, this is not about programming, this is about the system not conforming to standards that are expected ...This is also not an opensource system. It may be marketted as such, but if you read the terms of use, clearly it is not...You have to give all your code back to the community ie you don't own it

Lol, sounds like you just looked up some programming languages and terms and just started shouting those to seem knowledgeable. You're so concerned with trying to look like you know programming that you don't even respond to the points people make either.

You said you were leaving this community, so get on with it.

44 minutes ago, Julian said:

Unity, I am very familiar with. I use the Javascript API...Again, please do not assume that I am not a programmer. I can also program in LUA scripting and Unreal Visual Programming frameworks. Again, I am coming from a very long career as a programmer, this is not about programming, this is about the system not conforming to standards that are expected ...This is also not an opensource system. It may be marketted as such, but if you read the terms of use, clearly it is not...You have to give all your code back to the community ie you don't own it

Which javascript API? I did not know they added that. The last one I knew about was discontinued awhile back, and it was Unityscript which differed from Javascript. How do I go about using that?

You clearly do not know programming if you think that visual studio is programming. It is one of many IDE's I work on a linux environment , using JAVA, CLASSIC C, CLASSIC ASP, JAVASCRIPT, PHP, COBOL AND STRAWBERRY PERL. You are the amature and completely do not know programming if you think that visual studio is the only programming IDE

Mighty Professional didin't said that Visual Studio was programming, he only said that it is free. If you say " It is one of many IDE's" , then you can use any IDE you like, but the development of intersect doesn't require the paid version of Visual Studio.

The engine doesn't have most of the "Popular " features like guild and pets because they include the base features for an MMO, the ones every one needs and not the ones specific for each game.  For instance, guilds will not be useful until you have a playerbase already.

The source code at first is scary, but all you need to do is to follow the references to know how things works, and if you have any question in regards of the source, the development team and other members here always are willing to help to understand the source.

And the engine is indeed open source to MAKE games. You can have your own version and use it for your game without having to merge it on the base engine, but  what you can't do is to make Intersect 2.0 Remastered, and sell it as a new engine.

I will not doubt about your experience as a programmer, but you can't claim that you have more experience than everyone on the forum when at least they are making their effort to understand it, and contribute to the community.

2 minutes ago, davidsaid06 said:

I will not doubt about your experience as a programmer, but you can't claim that you have more experience than everyone on the forum when at least they are making their effort to understand it, and contribute to the community.

Especially when the majority of the old members and the team who made the engine have full time programming jobs.

2 hours ago, Julian said:

From your previous post it did seem like you lack knowledge. I will ignore your comments about your current knowledge. What I think matters in your statement is how you say that you "have to give all your code back to the community". What do you think these generous programmers have done for YEARS developing this engine? This was all offered for free, something id gladly spend at least a hundred dollars on, even after the fact that ive donated. I don't know what the license is, but if we are required to open source any edits we do to the engine, by all means I support that. Anything a single one of us developers do will most likely never compare to the amount of work the Intersect team has done for us. On top of that, sharing code with everyone just helps make this engine even more amazing.

It's kind of sad that you complain that the engine is not mature enough, but seem unwilling to share any code additions for the engine. Open source is such a healthy thing for programming communities and some of the biggest projects have been open source, undoubtedly because of the sole fact that it was open source to help contribute to it.

Also since when does "opensource systems" mean that you should own it? If you could simply take the code and sell it, that would be entirely unfair and spitting on the face of the developers open sourcing it when they could make profit also.

Dami locked this topic but I want to touch on the licensing complaint.

The editor and server are GPLv3 which means if you distribute your modified editor/server publicly then you must also include the source changes.

Our goal with that licensing is so that if you create a custom version of Intersect/spinoff engine which you distribute then those distributions (public or otherwise) must include the source. That is for the protection of the person using your engine (so they can fix issues on their own) and to encourage ongoing open source development.

Please note, modifying the editor and server internally (for a game) does not have those restrictions, meaning any source changes can be kept private.