Tutorial - How to use free AWS server for 1 year and setup ports

hiroman

Hello, I want to make a tutorial how to create a free AWS EC2 and use it for your game for 1 year.

1. You need to register your AWS account and setup your billing details. (You can find how to do this on the Internet)

2. After you create your account you should wait some time and you will be able to use the AWS console.

3. Go to EC2 -> Instances -> Launch Instance

a5c48c4f3dccd18af9573dd4832a6b4e.png

4. Select your OS (you can use everything what can host your server). In this tutorial we will use the Windows Server 2019 Base.

I highly recommend to use one of the Linux distros if you want a good performance! 

6d5c54cb7fcae23648e4def1dc61e556.png

5. Now you will need to pick t2.micro type if you want free server.

f05ad719849366d4f806d0254a7b77f8.png

6. After you create your EC2 (it will take some time), you will be able to connect via RDP.

You can already upload your server folder but you couldn't connect because the ports aren't configured.

7. Go to EC2 -> Security Groups. Select your Instance's security group and add inbound rules:

You need to create Custom TCP/UDP Rules and setup ports which you want to use.

c15fdc0b4e589fe3aa8a014db4aafea3.png

8. After this go to your Windows Instance via RDP and run Windows Firewall. Then create a new Inbound rule.

64a65d696a3ef2c96cb2c0db0b9f77eb.png

9. Setup two rules (For TCP and UDP) as I did it on the screenshots below.

51ba2f2a950c4d66851494b4a1416fef.png

f0eeb381fd95a95d3e621e1044c0287d.png

5457242595e9063b1813b632e035fa15.png

10. You are ready! Now you can run your server and it will work fine! Of course, the performance is very low but it's free! Enjoy!

P.S. On Linux there are the same steps, but you don't need to configure firewall. Also you need to download mono!

So what I’m gathering from this is basically this would work great for a dev team. Maybe not so much for actual players but a dev team I could see this being really helpful. 

43 minutes ago, Zetasis said:

So what I’m gathering from this is basically this would work great for a dev team. Maybe not so much for actual players but a dev team I could see this being really helpful. 

Indeed, depend on the stability but for now it's even better than what jc's hosting give you for 5$/month so it's really interesting for developping a game in team for a year and then migrate to jc's hosting or another.

9 hours ago, Zetasis said:

8 hours ago, Gibier said:

Indeed, depend on the stability but for now it's even better than what jc's hosting give you for 5$/month so it's really interesting for developping a game in team for a year and then migrate to jc's hosting or another.

You can install Linux on this machine for free too, and you will get better performance.

• hiroman changed the title to Tutorial - How to use free AWS server for 1 year and setup ports
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Andical said:

This still works! (windows server only, couldnt make ubuntu work)

Im developing a game with a friend and we really needed this to work together. Thanks!!! Will show my work soon. Its soooo good :)

I'm pleased that my tutorial helped someone! Good luck with your projects!