What do people think about a crowdfunding plugin?

Beefy Kasplant

So I was thinking about the future of Intersect, and what will happen when source releases. (Our grandchildren might live to see this moment if science advances enough)

How about a plugin with which the community can crowdfund features. A lot of people here won't work for free, and a lot of people here are highschoolers/students/people with little disposable income. Quite the conundrum!

What if there was a system where people can offer to create a feature tutorial/plugin for an often requested feature and set a funding goal.

Members can pledge a donation and once the funding goal is met, the person releases the plugin.

(TAKE NOTE OF THIS PART @jcsnider, @Kibbelz) AGD takes a cut of let's say 5-10% for setting up the infrastructure to make this possible and everyone that really wants to see a proper guild system will now have a chance to chip in and make it happen. 

Of course, setting up your feature offer has some rules:

1. Detailed explanation of all the features

2. Have to offer certain level of support

3. Have to specify a time frame for support

Because this will be members of the forum, everyone will have a general idea of the level of skill of the people offering the features and the level of support they will give. This will ensure that the paying members will get the proper support and will have a general idea of the fairness of the asking price, and the offering members will see a bigger payday for their efforts.

I hope this idea is clear, and I would love for people to discuss their thoughts and input on this!

I don't like this. Mainly because Intersect will never stop evolving. One week we could crowd source a new feature (for example, guilds) and then the next week it wouldn't work because we release a major Intersect update that overhauls networking. All of a sudden we paid for a feature that no longer works, and it's not the developer's fault so we can't expect him to fix it without crowd funding again.

Something like this would have to be managed by an individual. I would not be up for it as I do not want that added responsibility on top of everything else on my plate.

Furthermore you really want developers to create these features because they're passionate about the engine and sharing their work. Those are the people who will write the best installation guides, write the best code, and keep their features up to date as opposed to those after a quick pay day. 

I'd wouldn't mind seeing a few individual developers potentially attempt something like this though. They could start with a topic to see what the most popular requests are. Then open a development thread where they try to raise X amount for the system. Once they decide that it'd be worth their time, they complete the request and release the code. As time goes on they can either keep their features up to date and working, or they can choose not to support them whatsoever.  If their feature worked well, and it was well supported then they would likely get funding for the next project and so on.

23 minutes ago, Beefy Kasplant said:

Please stay on topic :16_relieved:

I was. I was replying to your post.

That being said I imagine this is also going to be difficult to administer without us personally verifying quality and functionality prior to transmission of funds.

1 hour ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@jcsnider How so? At some point you will have to call it quits so unless it's just you guys using git and accepting new stuff I don't see how it could go on forever? At some point you will lose interest (or at least I would).

Doesn't quite alleviate the point I made -- in fact us losing interest drives home mine as an issue, but presumably we'd be handing off repo control to other people. The problem is that these crowdfunded features need maintenance every time there's an Intersect update, and given sufficient customization would render the features unusable for some people (which is sort of dumb).

Well, my opinion is so simple, maybe someone will agree, maybe someone won't. The fact is that the intersect developers did all this stuff for free. I give money only in 2 cases: because I love something and wanna help selflessly and give some support or because I wanna someone to do something for me. It would be great if someone want to develop intersect engine plugins, but if he doesn't work for me I won't give any anticipated money. Maybe if he develops sooooooo many plugins and I like them a lot and I use them I'll help donating some money(as I do with the ascension game dev). If not... I'm sorry, we all have problems and no time, I won't pay someone only because he doesn't want to lose money while developing intersect plugins instead working or playing ps4.

@panda So I guess the solution is for a plugin system (official or modified) to be implemented where plugins can be used without direct source modification in the rpg maker plugin style. If that got adopted as the main branch people would use then it would be a matter of plugin dev over source modification.

1 minute ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@panda So I guess the solution is for a plugin system (official or modified) to be implemented where plugins can be used without direct source modification in the rpg maker plugin style. If that got adopted as the main branch people would use then it would be a matter of plugin dev over source modification.

An unofficial one like Minecraft has would suffer the same problems as Forge does, so the only way would be for it to be an official system rather than source mods -- but we don't have any immediate plans for how to implement this and it's not guaranteed to ever happen either. Still doesn't solve the authentication problem I pointed out with the crowdfunding idea though, as it still requires a team of programmers to review any code submitted in order to claim the money for any given feature.

1 minute ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@panda The money trading hands and verification would definitely be an issue but the commissions environment would be much nicer with the system. No clue how you prevent scamming other than a seller rep system.

You need someone to authenticate any plugin that involves money changing hands, and presumably this environment would allow free plugins too for "seller rep", and those would need to be audited to make sure there weren't malicious.

Just now, panda said:

You need someone to authenticate any plugin that involves money changing hands, and presumably this environment would allow free plugins too for "seller rep", and those would need to be audited to make sure there weren't malicious.

That's the real issue and I'm not sure how you get around that, never did plugin dev for rpg maker but that wasn't a risk seemingly so either just no one tried it or the plugin dev stuff was boxed?

6 minutes ago, PhenomenalDev said:

That's the real issue and I'm not sure how you get around that, never did plugin dev for rpg maker but that wasn't a risk seemingly so either just no one tried it or the plugin dev stuff was boxed?

You had a lot of idiots putting blind faith in the developers. Either they were malicious and nobody's realized it yet, or everyone got really damn lucky. I'm not willing to take that chance with Intersect though.

3 hours ago, panda said:

You had a lot of idiots putting blind faith in the developers. Either they were malicious and nobody's realized it yet, or everyone got really damn lucky. I'm not willing to take that chance with Intersect though.

Been browsing and I don't see any security features nor any reports of malicious plugins so beats me :wacko: