Network limitations?

2DMashery

Question

I'm thinking about using the engine, but I'm wondering what the network limitations  are. How realtime are we talking? When does the lag start to show?Can you handle  30+ players moving around in the same area with multiple spells/projectiles being used smoothly?

15 answers to this question

@2DMashery we don't really know. Everything is fairly instant in general, you see people walking around, talking, fighting, etc in real time.

As far as stress testing though it isn't something that we've done. @lurv has been streaming development of his game recently. You can see it get upwards of 10 people online at a time. Sometimes there are problems and sometimes it's fine. I am working closely with him to fix any bottlenecks that exist.

I can't tell you for sure at the moment if the engine can support 30+ people online at a time. I can say though that it will be able to before we get to the final release :)

1 hour ago, Cap'n Crest said:

The real bottleneck on these is based on your network speeds and your system specifications.

This is incorrect. If you can't process more than 30 players, the problem is absolutely in your code.

On November 19, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Z3ktrix said:

why was my post erased i tested this and it worked so my answer was valid lol.

Back it up. Show videos of all the clients in a game and active. Tell us about your user base, etc and we will accept it as valid.

I find this very far fetched. Opening 30 clients on your own machine or network doesn't count. It need to be random people from around the world.

Lurv was having major issues with 5-10 people online... I fixed that but the fixes have not been made public.

Provide proof, else this has to be assumed false. 

On 11/19/2016 at 4:07 PM, Z3ktrix said:

why was my post erased i tested this and it worked so my answer was valid lol.

We have 0 proof of this, we can't just say "Yes, you can" because Z3ktrix came on the thread and said we could. We need solid proof and evidence that this is what it can handle, not just someones word. No offense :P

Just now, Robin said:

This is incorrect. If you can't process more than 30 players, the problem is absolutely in your code.

i was saying with JCs engine im sure JCs engine can process more than 30 players

4 hours ago, Dr.House said:

Why don't someone puts up a test server?

We could set a day and a friendly hour for everyone, so we could start testing, this way there will be players from europe, us, asia and maybe mars.

The people on Mars will get massive lag though. Their ping will be north of 500000ms on average (this is actually a true statement, not just a random large number, actual average is roughly 750000ms).

On 11/22/2016 at 9:28 PM, Z3ktrix said:

yes i get it i'm a piece of shit that doesn't know anything.

No, not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying we can't just take your WORD. This is the internet, we've never seen or conducted a stress test of that sort so we are really quite unsure it can handle it. 

6 hours ago, yeroC said:

We have 0 proof of this, we can't just say "Yes, you can" because Z3ktrix came on the thread and said we could. We need solid proof and evidence that this is what it can handle, not just someones word. No offense :P

yes i get it i'm a piece of shit that doesn't know anything.