encode resource file

PalDiaray

Question

Hey,

can someone tell me how i can encode the resource file from my game. I dont want if someone look into the folder. And if the folder is encoded, is the foder still usable for the client.

(Sorry for my english)

Pal Diaray ;)

9 answers to this question

You don't want people to be able to take your art and music from the folders but you want it to be readable by the executable.

That's what you meant.

Unfortunately this isn't possible yet, you have to wait until the source is out before you can compile the resources as part of the executable.

Even then people can decompile and get your assets that way- so why're you really bothering to worry about it? Triple AAA studios can't protect their assets from people ripping them out of a game, it's a bit unrealistic to expect you can. :P

If someone uses your stuff, you can file a cease and desist or DMCA grievance with them which could lead to even more money for you as royalties.

1 hour ago, Kem said:

You don't want people to be able to take your art and music from the folders but you want it to be readable by the executable.

That's what you meant.

Unfortunately this isn't possible yet, you have to wait until the source is out before you can compile the resources as part of the executable.

Even then people can decompile and get your assets that way- so why're you really bothering to worry about it? Triple AAA studios can't protect their assets from people ripping them out of a game, it's a bit unrealistic to expect you can. :P

If someone uses your stuff, you can file a cease and desist or DMCA grievance with them which could lead to even more money for you as royalties.

But if they play my game, they can change the game feeling by changing the sprites :(

2 minutes ago, PalDiaray said:

But if they play my game, they can change the game feeling by changing the sprites :(

Yeah I know what you mean, you'll have to wait until the source is out. In the meantime, maybe someone can answer as to how you'd go about doing that from a pseudo-programming point of view?

16 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

You will have the ability to encrypt your graphics/resources from 99% of users once the source is released. In the meantime you can work on creating your game, designing your world, story, events, etc

Thats cool :) Thank you for the answer.

15 minutes ago, Damian666 said:

encrypt your files, let server send the decrypting hash, decrypt in memory, done.

it helps, but if someone really wants too, they can get your files, it just slows them down.

Okay ill try it. Hope i can do it :lol: Because, im not that good in stuff like this.