How many players can I have in my game? without the server falling

luciferofhell

Question

9 answers to this question

10 hours ago, placido said:

How many players can I have in my game? without the server falling

Hi placido, 

Your biggest factor will be the upload speed your server produces, also one thing a lot of people forget to understand is that most ISP service providers share your internet with everyone around you so there will be moments like during the peek times, that your server connection will be crappy unless you have a dedicated server or one from jcsnider.  Keep in mind the average player uses anywhere between 1.5-4.5kb of download speed, there is 1,000kp in 1mb.  I used to host Minecraft server and each player was using about 1.5-2mb easily.  First thing I would suggest is checking your true internet speed with a speed checker, than like Dashplant said remove all unnecessary things from your server and try to overclock your processor if possible, without causing any over heat.  If you are new to the world of computers however, easiest thing to do is renting one from jcsnider here.

Also, now days 2gb memory is nothing heck, Windows 7 and Windows 10 alone from the factory box, eat about that much in memory lol.  Like Ainz Ooal Gown said, also you should use Solid State Drives (SSD) hard drives, which will help with how fast your computer transfers data back and forth.  From my experience and the many years of hosting different games, and using different computers and different operating systems, my favorite by far is Centos 7 which is a Linux based system.  

3 hours ago, placido said:

Can a 2 GB machine, 100 megs of internet, get at least 150 players? Oh, in the next update of the  creation system add put the eyes, hair, color. You are amazing! Thanks for making this engine available.

You have to take in to account other aspects of the hosting machine and not just memory / internet speed, such a CPU, SSD and such. The better the machine the more players it will be able to host at a smooth rate. JC offers a good hosting solution which you can have a look at:

On your other note I don't think "creation system add put the eyes, hair, color" will be added to the core build, this is something that would need to be done when the source is released.

using the basic hosting package that JC provides for intersect servers i was able to have about 80 online before the lag issues started and they werent even bad we're only talking a 10-20ms ping drop so im sure with the base package you could support around 100 and thats with nothing fancy. It also helps to optimize your server as much as possible, delete any items not in use, try to cut down on maps that wont be playable, ect.

3 hours ago, Aesthetic said:

using the basic hosting package that JC provides for intersect servers i was able to have about 80 online before the lag issues started and they werent even bad we're only talking a 10-20ms ping drop so im sure with the base package you could support around 100 and thats with nothing fancy. It also helps to optimize your server as much as possible, delete any items not in use, try to cut down on maps that wont be playable, ect.

Which game had 80 players online at the same time? Is it still up? 

@placido: best route is to do your own stress test, gather some people and see how well the game runs for them. We cannot give you an exact answer or range based on simply server specs, or internet bandwidth, and even if we could the engine is getting better with each version so the number is only getting higher.

Locking this topic, plenty of answers above.