Way to prevent files from being stolen?

Garlic

Question

6 answers to this question

Right so there are two types of people who steal graphics.

Type one: kiddies, anything they make with your graphics will never amount to anything. If you need to steal other peoples graphics to make a game your game will be bad anyway.

Type two: people who will actually rip them and do somthing with them. Trust me, if someone really wanted your graphics they could get them anyway either via decryption or directly ripping them from your game. This is the type of person to be worried about. There is very little you can do to counter act these types of people except for legal action.

So in the grand scheme of things encryption is nice but doesnt really do all that. I think @panda decrypted lifeforges graphics in under 10 minutes just to prove a point as to why encrypting graphics wont stop these kinds of people. ( all be it their encryption algorithm was extremely simple). 

Right now it doesn't warrent development time and you all would want unique encryptions for your games anyway since you wouldn't want the encryption algorithm open source for all to see! So definitely somthing to persue on your own lads!

2 hours ago, Mercy said:

Is there a way to currently do this, or is it best to wait for open source to try to implement something like this? I'd like to prevent my sprites or tiles from being stolen if possible.

There is not any way to protect any file or resource and there are not plans to develop it because it would mean so much work and won't prevent people for getting them anyways. You'll have to wait for the source.

Is there any way to put even a small layer of security over the assets without waiting for source? Maybe something Windows supports inherently.

The only solution I can think of is to rename the extensions of the image files to an unknown name (example: ".int"), and hope that will keep the majority of people from stealing assets. I know that wouldn't stop the knowledgeable users from stealing the assets, but any layer of protection would be nice, even if its simply renaming the file extension.

Can anyone confirm if renaming the files will still be loaded properly in intersect without issues?

Is there any other solution pre-open source that could be used to make stealing assets "harder"?

31 minutes ago, Shilo said:

Is there any way to put even a small layer of security over the assets without waiting for source? Maybe something Windows supports inherently.

The only solution I can think of is to rename the extensions of the image files to an unknown name (example: ".int"), and hope that will keep the majority of people from stealing assets. I know that wouldn't stop the knowledgeable users from stealing the assets, but any layer of protection would be nice, even if its simply renaming the file extension.

Can anyone confirm if renaming the files will still be loaded properly in intersect without issues?

Is there any other solution pre-open source that could be used to make stealing assets "harder"?

I don't think so. Of course,  @jcsnider and @Kibbelz are the ones who should talk about it, but I don't think that it would work if you change the .png extension for a .whatever extension. This, in my opinion, should be a hardcoded feature, so there is nothing to do until they release the source(or until they develop any security filter).

Following the philosophy of this place(or what I belive is the philosophy of this site), we (community members developing games using intersect) should release everything as it is, with no more protection than a license. In my opinion, I don't see the problem of people using my assets as long as they don't earn any money using them without my permission. Good boys are gonna respect the license and use the assets for fun or for free projects, bad boys are gonna try to earn money with our assets no matter if we try to protect them or not. I'm one of the good boys, I like playing with other's assets, and we are always the fucked ones because people usually think about the bad boys first instead of the good boys. But well, of course that's just my opinion.