emptyaccount

Question

11 answers to this question

While Parallax scrolling would be cool, at this point I think we're about done adding features and just prepping for final release. You can expect source tutorials for when this is out.

As for the side scroller I totally recommend you give it a try. It is totally not what the engine was designed for but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. At the very least you could start making enemies, levels, etc and then use the source to add in what's needed later (ie jumping).  Depending on how creative you are, you could make it pretty far with the engine as is.

Nothing is more annoying than someone telling you that you can't do X, Y, or Z. Go out there and try it, have some fun, and worst case you will learn for the future :D 

38 minutes ago, Gibier said:

No intersect don't support it. But it would be a good feature to add. I would clearly use it with event.

Yeah, It is a good feature :D specially for a side scrolling game.

39 minutes ago, Gibier said:

But almost sure the main developper of intersect will not add it. So we will need to wait for the source to make it.

That's what I thought haha, thanks for replying :) 

3 minutes ago, Roy said:

Are you sure? lol

It's possible, but it won't be good. Or have jumping. In general it would be pretty awkward and wasteful of resources to make a side-scroller in Intersect as it is now.

So yes I'm sure.

8 minutes ago, Roy said:

Alright then, Thanks.

Though, JC says he'd like to see you pull off a side scroller, even if it will be drastically limited in it's capabilities prior to the source release, so go for it.

As a note, there would be a transition issue when players get off a ladder, and JC says that may be resolvable via event. Your up-directional sprite will also need to be cloned to the down direction, otherwise moving down ladders/ropes will be really awkward.

Like JC also mentioned, post-source parallax would be really easy. I can't say the same for different movement systems though, that might be more tough to change given that movement is grid-locked.

10 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

While Parallax scrolling would be cool, at this point I think we're about done adding features and just prepping for final release. You can expect source tutorials for when this is out.

As for the side scroller I totally recommend you give it a try. It is totally not what the engine was designed for but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. At the very least you could start making enemies, levels, etc and then use the source to add in what's needed later (ie jumping).  Depending on how creative you are, you could make it pretty far with the engine as is.

Nothing is more annoying than someone telling you that you can't do X, Y, or Z. Go out there and try it, have some fun, and worst case you will learn for the future :D 

I already tested it out with some pixel art stuff I made and It's working pretty good, It doesn't have jumping atm (obviously) but it looks really nice. And yeah it is really annoying haha but it's okay. Anyways, as someone said before "If you don't try you'll never know" Thank you!