Spell Editor

biosboy4

Question

15 answers to this question

2 hours ago, biosboy4 said:

Hello,

I've been fiddling around with the spell editor, but it's not making much sense to me. Is there a tutorial up on this yet?

I'm not understanding how the magic resist works and a bunch of other things. :-[

Hello,

I've tried this tool already, so I can tell you what I know:

1- Press "New" to create a new spell

2- Select the spell you want to modify

3-  Editing your spell:

General: it's where you can chose spell's name, spell's type (i.e combat is for a combat spell...), spell's icon (displayed in spellbook in game), spell's description, and... Two animations, one is the Cast Animation (animation displayed when casting...) the other is the Hit Animation (i.e a fireball going right in front of you...).

Combat Spell: (if Combat type selected)

I dont really know how thoses stats work, and when I select an effect like stun, it stuns target and I. Should be better after 2.0 :)

Spell Cost:

-What is used to cast spell, usually mana but you can use HP too.

-Time needed to cast in seconds.

-Cooldown before next cast in seconds.

Casting requirements:

Required stats or level to be able to cast that spell.

Targetting info:

Here you select the target type:

-Self will cast the spell on you.

-Single Target will cast the spell on you selected target.

-AOE means Aura Of Energy I think. It will affects every target in a given Radius, but be carefull it will affects you too.

-Linear, just like an Arrow or a fireball, right in front of you!

I hope I helped you, I tried to explain as better as possible. I'm french if you would know haha :D 

35 minutes ago, Nymphisios said:

Hello,

I've tried this tool already, so I can tell you what I know:

1- Press "New" to create a new spell

2- Select the spell you want to modify

3-  Editing your spell:

General: it's where you can chose spell's name, spell's type (i.e combat is for a combat spell...), spell's icon (displayed in spellbook in game), spell's description, and... Two animations, one is the Cast Animation (animation displayed when casting...) the other is the Hit Animation (i.e a fireball going right in front of you...).

Combat Spell: (if Combat type selected)

I dont really know how thoses stats work, and when I select an effect like stun, it stuns target and I. Should be better after 2.0 :)

Spell Cost:

-What is used to cast spell, usually mana but you can use HP too.

-Time needed to cast in seconds.

-Cooldown before next cast in seconds.

Casting requirements:

Required stats or level to be able to cast that spell.

Targetting info:

Here you select the target type:

-Self will cast the spell on you.

-Single Target will cast the spell on you selected target.

-AOE means Aura Of Energy I think. It will affects every target in a given Radius, but be carefull it will affects you too.

-Linear, just like an Arrow or a fireball, right in front of you!

I hope I helped you, I tried to explain as better as possible. I'm french if you would know haha :D 

AOE means Area of Effect, if you want a spell to hit a 3x3 tile with the enemy/friend in the middle, for example.

Thanks for the quick reply!

After reading your post I realized that the main piece to this puzzle that I am missing is information on the stats. IE: how does a combat spell effect hp/how does armor effect?

Also the same type of stuff for magic and projectiles: how does the magic resist come into play and how does the spell effect things like hp?

8 hours ago, biosboy4 said:

Also the same type of stuff for magic and projectiles: how does the magic resist come into play and how does the spell effect things like hp?

I think (BUT we should verify by ourselves) that 1 armor point erase 1 attack point. If you dont see what I mean:

You have 10 atk, a weapon with 10 damages (should deal 20 damages). You attack someone with 10 armor you should only deal 10 damages ?

Can an Admin verify that please :) 

Otherwise I'll make tests tonight.

I haven't found how spells Work with HP yet. 

Edited by Nymphisios
Forgotten a part

I don't think it works like that at all.

I think attack is similar to Strength from Runescape in that it adds to your weapon damage, increasing maximum hit. I think Magic does the same as attack but adds to your spell damage instead.

MR and Armour probably have a deduction %, so the higher your armour, the more damage you'll absorb, same for MR.

49 minutes ago, Sykonetic said:

I dont quite understand the spells either. How can i have spells work on characters as they progress?

At the moment I'm pretty sure you can't. Once the source is released you'll be able to edit how damage formulas work (and in this case scale)

42 minutes ago, MCADAMS said:

At the moment I'm pretty sure you can't. Once the source is released you'll be able to edit how damage formulas work (and in this case scale)

This would be much easier than the brute force approach. Plus if some one brute forces these mechanics, they could wind up changed at any given time anyways, making the effort mute.

19 hours ago, biosboy4 said:

This would be much easier than the brute force approach. Plus if some one brute forces these mechanics, they could wind up changed at any given time anyways, making the effort mute.

You can decompile it to get the current implementation.

private double DamageCalculator(int OffensiveStat, int DefensiveStat)
{
    return (double)OffensiveStat * (100.0 / (100.0 + (double)(DefensiveStat * 2))) + (double)Globals.Rand.Next(0, 3);
}

few checks after but that's basically it