Can variables be set from a /command?

Slayer

Question

11 answers to this question

18 hours ago, Slayer said:

As the title says, I'm trying to allow the player to set a variable from a chatbox /command. I'm assuming it isn't possible. It responds with "You are not in a party". Any insights?

Did you check the "party sync" button?

I figured out what I did wrong last night and got it to work. Then discovered that I couldn't do what I was intending with it. 

My goal was to have the player spawn a npc and be able to give it move commands. Like /2 for down, /8 for up, etc. I quickly learned that common events cannot have move routes lol.

Thanks for everyones answers

On 9/20/2019 at 5:18 AM, Khaikaa said:

If you are asking if it is possible to assign a value to a variable this way: /command 123, the answer is not, you can't pass values from chatbox to variables at the momment.

I noticed that /1 sends a global response, /2 send a party response, /3 sends a admin response. Using a greater number than 3 seems to allow you to set a command for it. I'm not sure how /1,2,or 3 is intended to be used though.

/3 actually crashes my editor.

40 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I noticed that /1 sends a global response, /2 send a party response, /3 sends a admin response. Using a greater number than 3 seems to allow you to set a command for it. I'm not sure how /1,2,or 3 is intended to be used though.

/3 actually crashes my editor.

You misunderstood me

I mean that you can't write /(your command) (value) to set the (value) into a variable

2 hours ago, Khaikaa said:

You misunderstood me

I mean that you can't write /(your command) (value) to set the (value) into a variable

However, you CAN create multiple common events such as

/command 1

/command 2

/command 3

And set these as variables.

7 hours ago, Slayer said:

Uh-huh....

But how to use /1, /2, or /3 in a productive manner?

I am assuming that /1 switches to party chat, /2 to global chat and /3 to local chat. However /local is broken so /3 should be too.