Dev Blog 03/24/2016 - Adding spells and projectiles

Kibbelz

984549685492.png

Adding Spells and Projectiles

Dev Blog 3/24/2016

News/Updates

Hey all, Spells and projectiles are now a thing! (I have all the basics done, just not fancy shit like HoTs/DoTs, planned dash spells and status effects such as stuns). On the positive note we have something WORTH showing! My close friend JC has spilled a few leaks of what I've been doing :rolleyes: Here is the list of the various spell types possible with Intersect currently (alongside the few major features left before this is done):

• Warp - Warp the caster to said map co-ordinates.
  • AoE - Damage all units within the range specified around the player (The same as eclipse)
  • Self Target - Spells will target the user only, typically used for buffs and heals.
  • Single Target - Target and damage a specified unit within the range specified. A later addition will be casting AoE spells around the target selected. (Next on my to-do list)
  • Projectiles - Fire a projectile in the direction specified, you can make really cool patterns and interesting moves. Familiarise yourself with the editor: http://www.ascensiongamedev.com/community/topic/340-dev-blog-11032015-projectile-editor/ More on these bad boys later.
  • Dash Spells - Dash in a target direction (Soon TM)

Effects can be added to spells such as buffs/de buffs which last for a limited duration. Soon this will also include other effects such as stunning, stealth etc.

Note: Projectiles can also be used on weapon equipment just like in older versions of eclipse.

Content/Show Off

Here is the spell editor:

41e07f1d984eebe5a5c503bee8bcc585.png

Here is the projectile editor:

549a7eb264afb3f259b803b1190d9756.png

Here is a unique projectile live in action:

Here is projectiles being used to harvest resources:

https://ascensiongamedev.com/resources/filehost/WSUaIohsXcEmelDJLK.mp4

As always, feel free to post comments and questions below! We are excited to hear your thoughts on our progress!

I've got an idea for a spell editor feature

Why not make it kind of like the event system with a timeline, so it works like this for example:

#1 [Cast timer: 2 seconds]

#2 [Dash]

#3 [AoE Damage: 100]

#4 [Heal: 100 HP]

Executes it in order. This way, you could make really advanced spells.

Maybe add a custom script option too :)

Why not make it kind of like the event system with a timeline, so it works like this for example:

#2 [Dash]

This can be implemented by each person with "scripted" spells. Not everyone will have a need for this. I know I won't and it would just be a hassle to have to figure out how not to use it.

#2 [Dash]

This can be implemented by each person with "scripted" spells. Not everyone will have a need for this. I know I won't and it would just be a hassle to have to figure out how not to use it.

^ This 100%, Spells are pretty advanced at this point. Alongside the active effects such as the physical damage and type of spell we already have passive effects such as buffs/debuffs, and soon to be status affects such as stealth, stunning, silencing etc. At this point adding more to this is just going over the top, I don't see many developers using this idea. Something that i envisioned with JC when starting Intersect was an engine with not only modern features and a modern language to bring 2D MMO developers up to date but also features that the majority of developers are actually going to use. This avoids redundancy of resources and avoids the engine being classified as what many people call a "cluttersfuck" engine. If you want it, the engine will be open source and you can add it yourself :)