Beating Intersect Engine Limitations: Log out event trigger

Khaikaa

Hi everybody,

As many of you already know, my mate and I worked so hard in order to find a way to make some sort of mechanism to control players logging out. We achieved this a few months ago in a very primitive way, but we perfected this system so we can actually know if a player has logged out and run an event when that happens. We are opening a new game mode in our project(Proyecto Helheim) which has this system enabled in a few hours, but I wanted to show you a little demonstration before:

http://ascensiongamedev.com/resources/filehost/70f0e3ccd827d90d0e91d85c28566882.mp4

As you see, we did it, we beated one of the most hated intersect limitations. I'll be writting some documentation showing how to do this in a few days/weeks(as the system is very complex and I will need a lot of time to explain it well) in this thread. After we release this new game mode you'll be able to try it, log out during the game and see what happens by yourselves. Warining: Logging out of the game mode counts as a defeat.

Stay tuned!

28 minutes ago, Dashplant said:

Warp player to area - set switch to true - run event when switch is true on a loop - other event checks if this last event is running - if not, run player logged out event.

Something like that? 

Something like that, unfortunately the "other event checks if this last event is running" is not as simple as it sounds, but yeah, that's the idea

Ugh I hated this problem with every eclipse engine in the past as well. I remember Serku(?) finally addressed the problem in his engine he was working on and it worked well. Basically kept the player logged in on the server for 20-30 seconds or something if they force closed the client while on a normal map. Hopefully something like this is added to Intersect. Probably will be the first thing I try to do when source is released  but really hope JC and crew could attempt a better solution before that. Really prevents any good form of pvp focused games. 

11 minutes ago, Justn said:

Ugh I hated this problem with every eclipse engine in the past as well. I remember Serku(?) finally addressed the problem in his engine he was working on and it worked well. Basically kept the player logged in on the server for 20-30 seconds or something if they force closed the client while on a normal map. Hopefully something like this is added to Intersect. Probably will be the first thing I try to do when source is released  but really hope JC and crew could attempt a better solution before that. Really prevents any good form of pvp focused games. 

Sadly this is not exactly the same. I assume this will only work in certain game modes. For normal pve and PvP to get the opponent's loot this won't work 

9 minutes ago, Justn said:

While I cannot comment on when this will be addressed I am happy to announce that the engine has been designed in such a way that keeping the players logged in for that time period, or forcing some other penalty for leaving will actually be pretty simple in Intersect. The "keeping players logged in whilst in combat" is on my radar. I made that change for @Henry back when he was working on Arkadia and it took me like 30 hours of work and didn't even work that well. That won't be the issue here, it's just a matter of time before it reaches the top of my todo list.