WIP Deadfrost Online

Colonello

M5lmuCG.png

Introduction

Spoiler

Hey everyone, this is a game I've been working on for about 2.5 years now on and off. Its gone through various versions, engines, etc and I've started over countless times. Now with Intersect I finally feel like I have an engine that has (or will have) everything I need to make this game what I've truly wanted it to be. 

Story

Spoiler

It's been 15 years since the largest war the world of Aeisthemor has taken part in. It's the year 1500 and the world is still picking up the pieces. The gods have seemed to have almost withdrawn from the world and no sightings have happened since the war's conclusion. Portions of the world have been plunged in to a permanent winter full of the creatures left by the gods. Those areas are known as Deadfrost zones. Some of the creatures have crossed over the boundaries of these Deadfrost zones and have invaded cities, villages, and now roam the vast untamed areas of the world. Learn the history of the war, face off against the world's many creatures, and conquer the Deadfrost zones.

Planned Features

Spoiler

Seeing as how Intersect is currently closed source I can't add any of these yet. I know a decent amount of Java (haven't practiced in a while though :| ) so the transition over to C# will hopefully be somewhat smooth for me.

- Dueling Center

- Skills such as crafting, smithing, mining, fishing, and woodcutting.

- Highscores and leaderboards

- Detailed character customization (hair style, hair color, etc)

- Minigames

Screenshots

Spoiler

tenvKYc.png

hN0HVzC.png

4rlNVV4.png

ahLg4VV.png

Progress

Spoiler

- So far I've completed about 60-70% of the world that I'd like to have ready for a beta release. All I really have to do is make building interiors, complete the first deadfrost zone, and complete a few more towns/cities.

- I've yet to start on NPCs or items but these shouldn't be too hard.

- Combat will be a nightmare when I do start working on it as balancing things will probably be fairly difficult.

- Everything else such as quests and custom code isn't available yet but I'm very eager to start on these when made available.

6 hours ago, yeroC said:

Glad you decided to come to Intersect! Project looks solid, I've seen it a few times now :P best of luck, I think intersect will be your final destination! 

Thank you! I definitely have to agree with you. I don't see myself switching ever again. :)

1 hour ago, Kibbelz said:

I think you need more diversity within your tiles. A lot of your maps look quite plain. Did you make the graphics yourself? Best of luck :)

Thanks for the advice, I do actually plan on diversifying it quite a bit later on when I create maps such as deserts, swamps, etc. :) A large majority of the tiles I have created myself while a few I've had commissioned.

Spent a little bit of time today making the Deadfrost zone in the center looks less squareish. It's a bit bigger than I would have liked but I'm glad it looks a bit more natural. :)

BRXeoB1.png\

Also here's a screenshot of some of the stuff I had commissioned. The commissioned items in the picture are the character's hair, the bench, and the boat. (I did adjust the boat's color a bit to match the docks. May do the same for the bench).

bAHTAFq.png

Worked a bit more on the map today. Once I finish the city in the top right and the first deadfrost zone I'll be mostly done with the exterior for what I want done for a beta release. All changes I'll make to the exterior besides that will be for training areas for combat, quest locations, and the skills I'd like to include when Intersect becomes open source. I may re-do the mountain on the left simply because it doesn't look good in my opinion.

2wqgGvQ.png

Looks great so far. I would like to suggest using shadows for your buildings on the right side, to make them stand out more. Currently the wooden buildings blend with the ground planks too much imo. Same with cliff faces.

11 hours ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@Colonello Is there a efficient way to get around the map other than walking? Because it's a cool and huge map but walking from one end to the other seems like it wouldn't be the most fun ever.

Not yet but I'll definitely add something before release. If that's mounts, teleports, or boats I'm not sure yet. :)

9 hours ago, yeroC said:

Looking good! I agree, make the bench like the same color as the boat, looks just a bit out of place, looks good otherwise!

Thanks! I'll definitely be sure to do that.

9 hours ago, Murdoc said:

Looks great so far. I would like to suggest using shadows for your buildings on the right side, to make them stand out more. Currently the wooden buildings blend with the ground planks too much imo. Same with cliff faces.

Thank you! Also I'll have to look in to doing that as I absolutely agree. 

Haven't gotten to much time to work lately but here's what I have. :) I have also decided I am definitely re-doing the mountain to make it actually look like a mountain haha. I'll probably transform it in to some kind of dungeon as well. Anyway after I wrap up working on the mountain I'm going to be done with the map for the time being. I'd like to focus on getting combat related stuff going. Once that's all sorted out I'll make the first deadfrost zone and place a few random dungeons around. The city in the top right will probably be one of the last things I work on before release. I'd like that area to be a hub for activities such as skilling, trading, etc. I'm waiting for open source to happen so I know how to lay it out since I may add or remove some features. 

Anyway here's a screenshot!

ahLg4VV.png

• 4 months later...

Since it's summer and I have a ton of more free time I figured I'd start working on this again. The website is down for a bit as I search for a new host but that shouldn't be an issue. Anyway I fixed up the mountain a bit but it still has some more stuff I'd like to add to it.

19lt7lw.png

Looking great! However, how 'full' is the map? You know, it seems to be a tad-bit empty, also level separation or just random places with random exp zones? :)

Also P.S I really hope you paid nothing for that bench xD

38 minutes ago, antarcticPuppy said:

Looking great! However, how 'full' is the map? You know, it seems to be a tad-bit empty, also level separation or just random places with random exp zones? :)

Also P.S I really hope you paid nothing for that bench xD

Yeah it's a bit empty at the moment mainly because I'm waiting to add major stuff until open source is here. I have ideas of what to do but I don't want to build stuff until it's set in stone what features I'm actually adding. :) Also it's going to have some level separation for sure but theoretically a level 1 player could go anywhere, except maybe some dungeons or areas where everything is too strong.

1 hour ago, Colonello said:

Yeah it's a bit empty at the moment mainly because I'm waiting to add major stuff until open source is here. I have ideas of what to do but I don't want to build stuff until it's set in stone what features I'm actually adding. :) Also it's going to have some level separation for sure but theoretically a level 1 player could go anywhere, except maybe some dungeons or areas where everything is too strong.

hey!

So about that bench, I actually took my time and made you one

All rights are now yours so feel free to use it as you wish Colonello I hope you like it because your current bench gives me day-nightmares. xD <no offense :< i hope>

p.s Hitman Reborn, such a good manga/anime it was!

bench.png

9 hours ago, antarcticPuppy said:

hey!

So about that bench, I actually took my time and made you one

All rights are now yours so feel free to use it as you wish Colonello I hope you like it because your current bench gives me day-nightmares. xD <no offense :< i hope>

p.s Hitman Reborn, such a good manga/anime it was!

bench.png

Wow thank you so much! I really appreciate that! I do agree though the old bench did need some improvement. :D

Also I agree haha, I just wish they put the last few arcs in to anime before ending it.

4 hours ago, Colonello said:

Wow thank you so much! I really appreciate that! I do agree though the old bench did need some improvement. :D

Also I agree haha, I just wish they put the last few arcs in to anime before ending it.

Not a problem, we're community we need to help each other :D

10 hours ago, Gibier said:

I saw you put skill like fishing in yours planned feature. Do you planned to code another skill system than the default in intrsect ?

Yeah, that's the plan. Either that or re-work the current one. :)