Quick Travel

froggy

Question

Has anyone got a good system for quick travel between certain locations?

I was going to have a player attune themselves to a location to be able to travel(warp) to and from there, but using options leaves you with just 4 options, it becomes rather messy.

Anyone have any suggestions?

6 answers to this question

I've been tempted to add a new variable type that stores a location. It's not something I've done yet and not sure I will. But something along those lines may help.

Other than that, a passcode system?

Have the user enter a passcode that teleports them somewhere if they've unlocked it.

Learnable spell for each location is usually the best way to go. Maybe obtain a spell scroll from a quest or buy a book to learn the skill. Could have "blink wings" like FlyFF that are single use items that are stackable to teleport to each location, having a constant money sink to bring money out of the system. Just a few thoughts

11 hours ago, Beefy Kasplant said:

If you want to do it with events you could do 3 options and a 'more' button.

I thought about that, and the more I think about it the less I like this approach..

11 hours ago, Cheshire said:

I've been tempted to add a new variable type that stores a location. It's not something I've done yet and not sure I will. But something along those lines may help.

Other than that, a passcode system?

Have the user enter a passcode that teleports them somewhere if they've unlocked it.

That does sound good!

Do you mean like a / command? I suppose that's possible, you can have spawn conditions dictate 'Map is' and then use /travel #. 

8 hours ago, WereAlpaca said:

Learnable spell for each location is usually the best way to go. Maybe obtain a spell scroll from a quest or buy a book to learn the skill. Could have "blink wings" like FlyFF that are single use items that are stackable to teleport to each location, having a constant money sink to bring money out of the system. Just a few thoughts

I also thought about this, but in my case it would result in far too many spells.

As beefy said, spell event and use options, also, to organize you can set "continents" then "regions" and "sub regions" etc.., So you can keep it cleaner. You can also set a spell for each continent/regions then subdivise.

It keep things clean and easy.

Also if you want player only to be able to go to some location after they have unlocked it, you can make a conditional branch in the use and put some "statue" or other in city to unlock, you can even make player pay for it or have it unlock it with some items or quest :-)