Migrate .NET to .NET CORE ?

caranille

Question

Hello,

I would like to contact you to find out if you plan to migrate your classic .NET software to .NET CORE.

Because the new version is much lighter and optimized than the old version and since version 3.0 it allows to use the WPF and WinForm

Best regards,

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, caranille said:

I would like to contact you to find out if you plan to migrate your classic .NET software to .NET CORE.

Not on the roadmap before source. After source this can be contributed.

1 hour ago, caranille said:

Because the new version is much lighter and optimized than the old version and since version 3.0 it allows to use the WPF and WinForm

WPF and Winforms is hardly the reason we aren't using .NET Core, particularly given that the client and server do not use either.

1 hour ago, Devo said:

The engine is light enough even now the only thing that they should migrate from is opengl as most of players cant run the engine because of it...

"From"? We migrated to OpenGL for better cross platform support. Supporting both within the same client will make maintenance harder and will result in bugs being opened for differences between the two that we can't control (not to mention feature development is not 1:1 between the two media pipelines). Any reasonable NVIDIA+Intel/AMD computer released in the last 10 years should be able to run the engine.

.Net Core is awesome. Moving to that is a stretch goal of mine. 

As for DX, a lot of the users who cannot run the client with OpenGL wouldn't be able to run it on DirectX either. If it's absolutely critical for those with PC's 10 years old or older to play your game then you can use an old VB6 engine, or create your own DirectX Intersect clients when we open source. I think it's also important to note that for the clients on the borderline who could play your game if it was DirectX instead of OpenGL are on such old hardware they wouldn't be able to enjoy the game from a performance aspect anyways.