NEWB to this engine but having a big hurdle and search doesnt seem to have an awnser.

phawse

Question

So I spent an hour looking thru the documents and searching the forum. I cant find an awnser. I am just starting and have beta 5.1 installed.

I created a balank map (just grass) then created 2 npc a woman and a dog. I wanted to place the woman and then set up events/quest to go find her dog. A simple learning pracrice lesson I thought. well when I place the woman (non moving npc) there is no graphical representation in the editor and when I fire up the client she is 4 tiles up or down of where I placed her. This seems very weird since she was a declared npc. logic says she should have a representation in the editor so you know where you put npc that aren't randomly spawned and the game client shouldn't jump that supposed placement 4 tiles away. 

what am I missing can somebody educate me or forward a link to a forum post that can? thanks.

6 answers to this question

22 hours ago, buu said:

Instead of placing an npc through the npc editor, trying making an npc through the event editor

Yea i did. it works well. i am working through the event tutorial yesterday and tonight. Was just not expecting the standard  non-player-charactor to not be used for quest givers, shops etc. like every other engine does. It threw me off, once you told me to use events i dug in and made some headway...i was just expecting this engine to be simular in function as others...my mistake.

Uh yeah .. that's how NPC's work. What you seem to be looking for is events. If you really want to change her move route, though, at the top right there are some options - "move randomly", "turn randomly" and "stand still". Make sure to turn aggressive OFF. Seriously though, for friendly NPC's you should use events

14 hours ago, The Bunny Gamer said:

Uh yeah .. that's how NPC's work. What you seem to be looking for is events. If you really want to change her move route, though, at the top right there are some options - "move randomly", "turn randomly" and "stand still". Make sure to turn aggressive OFF. Seriously though, for friendly NPC's you should use events 

Ok thanks for the info. funny tho I have used dozens of engines et and NPC have always been placables for either mobs or player interactions. a bit different of an approach ere. it seems like they just want you to use them as mobs. Still this doesn't explain why they are placed 4 tiles off from where I put them when the client runs. that's gonna get real old real quick.

Our inspiration for events came from the RPG Maker engines. Their event system is slightly more powerful than ours right now, but we really liked that concept. Intersect is generally the logical step up from RPG Maker since we provide multiplayer functionality.  Making the transition as smooth as possible for those users seemed like a good idea.  I'm glad you're figuring it all out though phawse, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask!