Javascript Mirage Classic HTML5 ORPG

Consty

I've been working on bringing back the classic ORPG Mirage Online using modern web technology. Mirage Classic as I'm currently calling it has been in development for almost three years (on and off) and implements all Mirage's original features, plus more! The game is developed entirely using HTML5 for the client and Node.js for the server. It runs butter smooth on modest PC hardware and is a progressive web app, so it also runs natively on just about any mobile device (Android/IOS). Mirage Classic currently uses tile and sprite pixel art from Odyssey Online Classic which Mirage Online was originally and heavily influenced by. As is tradition all the editors are built into the client as well (a few are shown below)! I haven't determined what I want to do with the game at this point, but I thought I'd show some screenshots of its progress. If you have any questions on its design I'd be happy to answer them. Enjoy!

b9b331b8c32ef74f4806b741c464e177.png

Login screen

7552428990b54a3863714dc05bf1edcd.png

In game on desktop

21b936894863b43705b57782a1a41236.png

In game on mobile

296be1083edba05145d4c64684c68b88.png

Map editor

9cb58897b0d96fb62e4d3fdedba949c9.png

Map properties

d6c1a600195b05fa0d92de97a223ba9d.png

NPC editor

3b04df5ed1f780b955a7b5ab021f2295.png

Item editor

490b7e8cbb6b93bb6159cf9cd91cd32b.png

Profession editor

On 12/8/2018 at 3:07 AM, boberski said:

Is it open source?

It is not open source at this point but may go that way in the future. I'm hesitant primarily because from personal experience when Mirage Online and Odyssey Online became open source, it immediately killed the player communities. That being said it spawned a game developer community (such as this one), but that does little in establishing a vibrant player community. Why play someone else's content when you can create your own? People take comfort in owning things and being in charge, so it's perfectly natural that players will eventually transition into creators.

As that evolves the player communities dwindle leaving few amongst the vast array of options that are all pretty similar. I suspect if I were to open the source, Facebook, Steam, Google Play, and the App Store would become flooded with "simple 2D MMORPGs" with only surface level differences (graphics for example). The source is as easy to work with as Mirage Online was originally, so I'd fully expect this to happen again, but then again getting more people interested in game development has its own set of benefits. What do you think?

4 hours ago, Consty said:

It is not open source at this point but may go that way in the future. I'm hesitant primarily because from personal experience when Mirage Online and Odyssey Online became open source, it immediately killed the player communities. That being said it spawned a game developer community (such as this one), but that does little in establishing a vibrant player community. Why play someone else's content when you can create your own? People take comfort in owning things and being in charge, so it's perfectly natural that players will eventually transition into creators.

As that evolves the player communities dwindle leaving few amongst the vast array of options that are all pretty similar. I suspect if I were to open the source, Facebook, Steam, Google Play, and the App Store would become flooded with "simple 2D MMORPGs" with only surface level differences (graphics for example). The source is as easy to work with as Mirage Online was originally, so I'd fully expect this to happen again, but then again getting more people interested in game development has its own set of benefits. What do you think?

It is true in most parts, not everyone is intrested in making his own game, like me. I am more intrested in looking into code to see how it is written how the certain parts works. Also open os semi open source is good to have people like me looking and giving possible fixes. Also you can share it private with me or any one that will ask you, so it will not be public, bus still you will be albe to have other eyes to look into bugs etc. I have rule, if something is given for free and I find a way to improve it I will share that across community, polserver.com is an example I am at that community for years and I share my ideas for free with them :)

• 1 year later...