Can I make the hp bar empty fully (upon taking lethal damage) before respawn?

Ikelos

Question

The title basically says it folks.

When the player is at low enough hp to take lethal damage from an attacking npc and are attacked, they immediately respawn and their HP increases to full rather than emptying. This is a bit abnormal as far as games go. Is there any way I can delay respawn or rig the game to represent 0/100 hp with an empty bar before the respawn sequence?

Thanks in advance.

- Ikelos

7 answers to this question

Respawns are kinda like guilds in which there are a lot of ways to handle it, and a lot of people will want to go different routes; some people will want a timer before respawning, or a button to press, others will want the nearly instant revive, and there might even be a weird group that wants to go the wow route where you become a ghost and need to get to your body. (Maybe other methods I'm not thinking of?)

You all are welcome to open suggestions for handling this now.. but we will likely leave it as-is and allow people to modify the behavior via source for each game to achieve the desired effect.

29 minutes ago, Ikelos said:

The title basically says it folks.

When the player is at low enough hp to take lethal damage from an attacking npc and are attacked, they immediately respawn and their HP increases to full rather than emptying. This is a bit abnormal as far as games go. Is there any way I can delay respawn or rig the game to represent 0/100 hp with an empty bar before the respawn sequence?

Thanks in advance.

- Ikelos

I don't think that's editable at the momment, maybe you should wait until source release to change that.

9 minutes ago, Cashplant said:

Definitely a source edit. 

Not sure what you mean by it being weird though? Most games I played you respawn immediately after dying. 

The immediate respawn isn't so weird, rather, that the Hp bar never depicts 0/[Max Health]; a fully black bar.

Rather, the health bar renders as though the player is on a sliver of health and then heals to full suddenly.

I guess I may have to wait for the source. Tho, do you think the feature might be worth suggesting? It seems aesthetically important.
If I a character is killed in one shot by an opponent, the hp bar doesn't react at all.

21 hours ago, Cashplant said:

Honestly, I was thinking about perma death. 

Sounds cool. It's kinda an option if the player  goes to a respawn location (they immediately warp from upon character creation or if they had a soul protection item/score, etc) where they are simply trapped. Perma-deaths zones can exist.

Could actually put em' in an underworld that other players can actively free you from but is otherwise unlikely...

Really tempted to do this now.