walking inside building

jezza

Question

7 answers to this question

I don't know if this is the right place to ask. But this topic interests me and I am confused what feature is being discussed. In theory, is this where you walk on a tile to remove the roof of a building thats on the same tilemap?

Yeah. So they want the roof to disappear or become mostly transparent when walking into a building. Some games try to use this style instead of creating alternate maps for building interiors.

While the idea is fairly simple in theory, this would actually be a pretty involved modification in Intersect because we cache tile layers into big images, and render those cached images instead of drawing every tile of every layer of every map on every frame. 

54 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Yeah. So they want the roof to disappear or become mostly transparent when walking into a building. Some games try to use this style instead of creating alternate maps for building interiors.

While the idea is fairly simple in theory, this would actually be a pretty involved modification in Intersect because we cache tile layers into big images, and render those cached images instead of drawing every tile of every layer of every map on every frame. 

Thank you for the clarification of the theory and the effort involved in creating such a feature. I definitely want this feature when it becomes open source, so I might try my luck on it.

I found a way to do it by duplicating the map but without the roof desired, in a big town setting this would be rediculous to pull off and would make your game pretty heavy, and its not as seamless as you would probably like.

But, if you mape one map with the town, then a second map with the town without the roof for the building you want then add a warp event that is passable and activated on player touch it.. works in a sense, the building will also have to be the actual size of the inside so thats kinda limiting too.

example:

ec252bbc408b3fc50c746561f69e7c2a.gif