Closing server to the public

froggy

Question

7 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

We desperately need to add this option.. but it's not possible at this time.

While JC's right and we need to add this option, ultimately making the server not publicly accessible and having people connect to the server on LAN/VPN is a better option if you really don't want people connecting. But realistically, not disclosing your IP/Port combination or releasing your client should be good enough to stop most people trying to connect.

3 minutes ago, panda said:

While JC's right and we need to add this option, ultimately making the server not publicly accessible and having people connect to the server on LAN/VPN is a better option if you really don't want people connecting. But realistically, not disclosing your IP/Port combination or releasing your client should be good enough to stop most people trying to connect.

If you release a beta and then go back into dev and you're using a service like mine where you can't change the ip/port you're in trouble :P 

1 minute ago, jcsnider said:

If you release a beta and then go back into dev and you're using a service like mine where you can't change the ip/port you're in trouble :P 

Wasn't even thinking of your service. :P

16 minutes ago, panda said:

I'm currently doing changes to the game itself, with parts that are in the parts i wanted to alpha test. Just a "down for maintenance" would suffice, so that i can perform tests without players trying to do the content im changing

Sorry for not directly answering your question, but a useful alternative for wanting to work on the game while not disrupting your players is to have a live server and a dev server. Your live server goes untouched outside of minor map/item hotfixes that don't disrupt the flow of your game, and your dev server is a mirror of the live game that also includes any content updates you're putting on. And when you're ready to push out updates, you take down the live server, transfer the account data over to the dev server, and the dev server becomes the new live server.