How to host a server

Pavoht

Question

Hey there,

To introduce myself and my "project", I don't want to create a final product, a game which is completely playable.
I do lot of research and learning on the game design and cognitive sciences, and I want to use Intersect Engine like a sandbox, a research tools to try many of my ideas and improve them on the time.

So, I want to be able to let my friends try these ideas because without any group of testers, an online game features is useless and no testable alone.

My question is : How to host a server ?

I've try to modify my network card properties to disable dhcp and place a fix IP and do port forwarding, then change the client cfg, but my friends dosen't be able to connect to my server.

Be able to host on my own PC ?

I've also a VPS for my websites, can I host on him ?

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

@Pavoht: Beta 4 (releasing soon) has tools to automate the port forwarding process and provide debug information as to where the problem lies. 

With no prior experience getting ports forwarded and your game online can be an incredibly difficult task. As @jesusbleach said it could be antivirus, it could be windows firewall, it could be a router firewall, it could be a modem firewall, it could be your internet provider blocking traffic, and it could be a mix of all the above all at once.

Best advice I can give for now is to disable your antivirus and windows firewall and look up a guide for your specific router model to port forward and hope for the best.

can be a problem with the router. test connectin with hamachi. if this dont work can be 2 reasons

-your firewall and antivirus

-the router dont do a correct port forward

in my situation was the router. it says the port was open but it didnt. test your port at webs. search in google port test

good luck.